• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 'My Current World XI' Thread

♪♪♪

Cricket Spectator
Except there was a statistical breakdown of situations where Gilly came in when things were comfortable, vs. when he came in when things were in shambles...and there was no real difference in his average. I'm sure you can still find that article on cricinfo.
Theres a difference between having to do it almost every test you've played and in doing it once in a while.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
How, on God's earth, could you possibly know that?

They both rip it a mile. Both bowl a lot of overs, get variable bounce off waring surfaces.

The big difference is one spins 'em predominantly in, the other out. Does that make one harder to keep to than the other? I dunno, but I would have thought that it would be s hard, if not harder, to keep to a ball which is moving from behind thae batsman towards the off than one which is tuning in towards your body and therefore your centre of gravity.

Just a theory, but not sure. Reckon both of them would be pretty damn hard to keep to.

It is generally thought by wicket-keepers that a ball that spins intowards a right-hander is more difficult to keep to, because you will often lose sight of the ball behind the batsman.

Murali would be harder to keep to, because most of Warne's variation travel straight on, whearas Sanga wouldn't know which way Murali's variation would spin.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
It is generally thought by wicket-keepers that a ball that spins intowards a right-hander is more difficult to keep to, because you will often lose sight of the ball behind the batsman.

Murali would be harder to keep to, because most of Warne's variation travel straight on, whearas Sanga wouldn't know which way Murali's variation would spin.
Hmmm, dubious IMO, Warne's line was often outside leg, so he was usually behind the pads too.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No team without KP, is a joke.
KP is a close call no doubt, especially over Tendulkar who has been a shadow of his great self during the same period. But does what KP has done in 2 years overshadow what Tendulkar has done for over a decade?. Thats why i said form is temporay class is permanent, KP is going through a purple patch bowlers haven't found a weakness for him yet.

I would always pick a bloke who has dominated for a long time who i know will come good again regardless of a slump, over someone who is just going through a purple patch.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
KP is a close call no doubt, especially over Tendulkar who has been a shadow of his great self during the same period. But does what KP has done in 2 years overshadow what Tendulkar has done for over a decade?. Thats why i said form is temporay class is permanent, KP is going through a purple patch bowlers haven't found a weakness for him yet.

I would always pick a bloke who has dominated for a long time who i know will come good again regardless of a slump, over someone who is just going through a purple patch.
I doubt that anyone would argue that Tendulkar is the better player, and that he would get in over Pietersen in an all time XI, but this is a current XI, and at this moment in time, KP is more likely to get a 100 than Tendulkar, simple as.

Swervy

International Captain
Tendulkar has performed well below par for about 4 years now. Its more than a slump, he simply isn't the batsman he once was. Even if he were to score 700 runs vs England this summer, I would need him to score heavily for at least another 7 or 8 tests and do it well for me to start thinking it was just an extended slump

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Hussey
Hayden
Ponting
Yousuf
Pietersen
Symonds
Gilchrist
Flintoff
Clark
Muralitharan
Asif

Tee he he. That century was SO good.

cover drive man

International Captain
World XI

Unless I'm mistaken the last world XI tour was the Australian one. Are we due another or is the failure of the last one dismissed the idea also is their a team capable enough to take them on other than Australia.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Unless I'm mistaken the last world XI tour was the Australian one. Are we due another or is the failure of the last one dismissed the idea also is their a team capable enough to take them on other than Australia.
If the World XI weren't taking on Australia half the Australian team would probably be in it.

jeevan

International 12th Man
If the World XI weren't taking on Australia half the Australian team would probably be in it.
Given that teams are better than the collection of individuals, may be better to just use the Australian team and may be fix the one or two holes that exist. E.g. Spinner slot (Murali or Kumble for MacGill/Hogg/etc) and may be the batting all rounder (Kallis for Symonds) . Very little to be gained from replacing Jacques with Cook/Smith, Hussey with Sangakkarra or Lee with Steyn or Johnson with Zaheer regardless of what paper rankings say.

So it would be 9 Australians (or 8 or 10) plus a couple of free agents vs some other national XI, and unless played on a spinning track - result would be little different than Australia vs that national team.