• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 11 - India v England

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We might not be number 1, but look where you're ranked, and where we're ranked.

But I'll say it time and again, they are a rubbish ODI side, they haven't put up consistent performances for me to change that view. I am entitled to my opinion, and you're entitled to yours.

In fact, you know what, let's just wait till the end of the WC and see where England end up, and where India ends up. If India doesn't make it further than England, I'll be more than happy to eat my words.
A few points - Your rating is closer to ours than it is to Australia's.
In terms of consistent results we've only lost 2 series in the last 2 years, both against Australia who, funnily enough, are better than you.
As for your final paragraph, you do remember you're playing at home right? There's also the fact nobody's saying England are fantastic, just taking umbrage at your decision to label us "rubbish".

Maximus0723

State Regular
Wow, what a game.

I was at work (with no internet) and I call up my cousin to ask for score (he said 78 from 68 balls). I was ****, English got this in the bag. Though I knew two or three quick wickets and it was game on. I guess I was right :laugh:

But seriously, what a lovely game. Anyway you look at it, both India and England should be satisfied with how the match turned out. Lots of positives from both sides.

One quick fix for England is playing Broad instead of Anderson (though I think he bowled better then his figures).

Jarquis

I'd actually say only England choked. Sure, India posted a big score but they had a whole innings of bowling to do. On the other hand, England until the last 10 overs were big favourites to have won, and should have.
India conceded 29 off the final two overs to our numbers 8-10.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
In terms of consistent results we've only lost 2 series in the last 2 years, both against Australia who, funnily enough, are better than you.
As for your final paragraph, you do remember you're playing at home right? There's also the fact nobody's saying England are fantastic, just taking umbrage at your decision to label us "rubbish".
I don't think England are rubbish at all, they are a decent side and most importantly they fight till the end as they showed today and even against Holland.

I still believe we are a better one day side than England, but matches are not played on paper they are played on the field, and today we didnt take our chance to prove we were better but nor did they, and that is why a draw is probably the correct result in the end!

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India need to learn that you can't just get away with **** bowling in OD games.

Good game though.

grecian

I'm usually very critical of Yardy, but those overs he bowled in the Power Play were so good and in the end crucial - Collingwood/Bopara wouldn't have done that.
Yeah, he bowled better then his figures, and he did score 60* recently, so you could turn it around and say he's just as possible to score runs as Bop, and in this form, Colly.

I'm not convinced by Yardy, wouldn't be in my squad, but of the ones there, he's not the worst pick.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
It's quite difficult trying to fathom out what happened today, so best to accept it as a fantastic spectacle, highlighted by two outstanding individual batting performances, step forward Sachin Tendulkar and Andrew Strauss.

Plenty of talking about who choked more, think both sides showed enough character to not warrant being labelled chokers. England were cruising with Bell and Strauss at the crease, then when you lose the two set batsmen, Bell was cramping and Strauss got a beauty, it's inevitably going to be considerably more difficult for the new batsmen. The run rate climbs, rash shots are played, that is cricket, not a bottle issue. What I will say is we missed the depth that Bopara would have given us, but would we have been chasing many more but for Yardy's fairly respectable ten overs ?

Neither side have a genuine wicket taker that can break partnerships in those middle overs. Our best option Broad was missing, and while Zaheer did a good job later, when the Bell/Strauss partnership was developing and batting sensibly, no Indian bowler had any answer.

Tbf both sides attacks are a concern. Anderson went round the park again, and may be under threat when Broad returns. Swann will not bowl to a more accomplished player of spin than Tendulkar, yet he still bowled very well in patches.

A tie was a fair result I think, both sides batted very well, England had the pressure of having to chase a huge total, and did much of the job admirably.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha, what a great match. Tie was so not expected.

I guess losing 7 wickets for 30 at the end did end up costing India badly.

England will come out of this with more positives than India one feels given India were huge favourites at the start of the match with Broad out. Monumental effort from Strauss to get them into a matchwinning position.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Haha, what a great match. Tie was so not expected.

I guess losing 7 wickets for 30 at the end did end up costing India badly.

England will come out of this with more positives than India one feels given India were huge favourites at the start of the match with Broad out. Monumental effort from Strauss to get them into a matchwinning position.
Yes those seven wickets they lost were probably simply incidental at the time, with that score already on the board. When a tie happens you naturally look back to all the things that swung the game the one way or the other, such as India's collapse, the short run, the Bell LBW, Harbhajan's lame attempt at a catch, the Anderson beamer, all went towards making a fantastic World Cup match.

Wonder if the Ireland game will match the excitement,

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Just catching up on match reports now. Sounds the most incredible game and perhaps a tie the most fitting result.

Strauss in the ODI innings of his career. I rate him very high but an innings of this type in such an important game is not something I believed he was capable of. I like the opening partnership of Pieterson and Strauss. It set England off to a ripping start, and with the field restricted Pieterson is more likely to focus on the strokes he plays best rather than slogging spinners over the fence.

Woodster

International Captain
Not really - they made the score 338 rather than 350+ it should've been from that position.
What I'm saying is it hardly represented a disaster at the time, there were not too many concerned Indian faces at the end of the 50th over. The fact was they had a huge score on the board that they expected to defend, rather than worry about the 10/12 runs more they should have scored.

They still managed 91 runs in the last 10 overs, which isn't too shabby anyway.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd actually say only England choked. Sure, India posted a big score but they had a whole innings of bowling to do. On the other hand, England until the last 10 overs were big favourites to have won, and should have.
India conceded 29 off the final two overs to our numbers 8-10.
Yeah, what he said. That's a choke by anyone's estimation.

India arguably choked in the last few overs of their innings too; at one stage 350 looked a given and 360-370 possible.

Sad thing for me is that a great game really matters not a jot in the grand scheme of things. Both sides will be in the QFs regardless.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Yeah, what he said. That's a choke by anyone's estimation.

India arguably choked in the last few overs of their innings too; at one stage 350 looked a given and 360-370 possible.

Sad thing for me is that a great game really matters not a jot in the grand scheme of things. Both sides will be in the QFs regardless.
I think the impact of the game will be in the minds. Doni will be racking his head on hw he can defend any core with this attack and England would have gained some cofidence from their batting. Bresnan really took it away from India IMO. Bowled really well and a useful six at the end. Really thought we would win it with 29 to score in the last two and even with 14 to score of the last. Disappointing. But considering the ease with which Eng were chasing this is a good result for us.

While the Indian attack didn't cover itself with glory, neither dd the English. In arguably tougher condition to bat they were carted around. Broad is totally essential to them and without him their attack looks pedestrian.

And it was real good fun to see Sachin take Swann to the cleaners. Regardig our bowling we need Nehra in the form he was before the SA series. Thought Chawla bowled well in patches. Too many long hops. I would say if you need to play 2 spinners get Ashwin in. Variety for the sake of variety is not going to be useful.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Also BCCI should see to it that India doesn't need to appeal to get its wickets. Maybe a rule like anyone who doesn't walk against India will not get an IPL contract.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I certainly do remember we're playing at home, and that's exactly why I had labelled England a "rubbish" unit. When I had said that, I had meant in India. And recent results against India are my reasoning for that (5-1, 5-0). Of course, if this WC wasn't being played in the subcontinent, I wouldn't be so quick to write off England. But the fact that it is, I am doing so. Once again, surely I am entitled to my opinion, and you are to yours. I could be absolutely wrong, and England may just end up winning the WC. However, I had just stated how I feel of them as a team and their chances.

I don't understand why English fans are getting so worked up about it, atleast I didn't call the team or those supporting it wankers (in ref to G_S' post). :dry: Let's not forget, in my two posts regarding this issue, I had also made it clear that England's performance today was superb. But as brilliant as today's performance was by them, I still don't rate them highly as an ODI unit, in other words they are not a team that I am scared to face. If someone prior (no pun intended) to the WC told me that India would be facing England in the final, I would take it without batting an eyelid. Once again, that's my opinion.

Anyway, I've stopped discussing this matter, didn't want to create a big issue out of it. I tried to avoid it as much as possible. But I just had to clarify the above.

Last edited:
Mate, India don't even play a test nation again for TWO WEEKS. By that time, this match will be a mere afterthought. I will reserve judgment till after we play West Indies and Safrica. The fact is, England played well above themselves. People rank them lowly, and rightfully so given their results, but they are a team with quality players, and when they actually give a toss about an ODI match they can match it with the best. This whole "if they conceded 339 to England, what will they do against South Africa and Aus?" line is rubbish. On any given day, ANYBODY can play well- Strauss is as good an opener as anyone in World Cricket, and Bell is high class as well. They played well in colored clothing for once..SO WHAT? that has always been the nature of ODI cricket. England wont repeat a batting performance like that in this tournament against a Test team. They will go back to their usual self soon- mark my words.

What did Indian fans expect? Munaf to run through the top order? Bowling was always a weakness. Doesn't mean we won't win the World Cup, or get close. Every other team has flaws too, and the fact that our batsmen UNDERPERFORMED is ominous for everyone else. We could've gotten 360, and then the story could have been completely different, with England seriously having to slog from the start.

I will reserve judgment for the next 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Hey Turb, next time you get all precious about someone calling Indian fans wankers, think about posts like these. Under lights we've just hit 338 against you in your home. One man show? How does your innings go without Tendulkar?

Until you guys start accepting that other teams go okay you will be the most hated team around. You're not even ranked 1 in ODIs, the arrogance is misplaced. Seriously, **** off. Your post is patronising and wrong.
Under lights? That actually made it easier to bat. Did you watch the match? The ball was skidding on beautifully at night.
What's the fascination with lights? It was a decent chase, the first decent effort the English ODI team has put in for a long time. Show us something more for the rest of the tournament and we won't call you rubbish.

And we do accept other teams go okay, just not your team (for more than a match here or there). You want to talk rankings? Look at your (pathetic) ranking. We're the number 2 ranked team, playing at home. I think that is reasonable reason to be confident. Patronising? well maybe that's what England get for not giving a flying toss about ODI's for years. I mean, you win in Australia against a ****e team for the first time in bloody 20 years, and you dont even try for the next 7 international matches. Same with the series in England. Ofcourse people think you're **** in ODIs. You've done nothing in that format of any consistency. Just accept it!!!!!