• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Knockout Stages

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think the Brazilian team is under rated. A mate cried foul when I called them favourites before the tournament started. They are a very fine group of players which play like a team.

I also think Spain has a very good chance to win. Really nice football they have played so far.
Wow, tipping Brazil or Spain - really risking it there! :ph34r:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Won't be displeased to see Pottugal out, apart from one match their negativity has been ridiculous. I wouldn't mind if they were without talent and needed to nullify other teams, but they've also been negating one of the most gifted attacking players in the world on their own side.
Yeah couldn't understand this, seemed a bit pointless especially in the second half, he barely even touched the ball.

Impressed by Coentrao though, comfortably Portugals player of the tournament imo.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Wow, tipping Brazil or Spain - really risking it there! :ph34r:
I backed Spain when they lost to Switzerland and people said they were crap. I have been rooting for them from early in their tourney. They have been excellent in qualification, got an excellent group of high quality players and I will be very happy if they win. Always got a soft spot for Spain.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Impressed by Coentrao though, comfortably Portugals player of the tournament imo.
Outstanding. Ive been pointing out the weaknesses of Johnson and then watching Coentrao just reminded me again how bad some players are.

Going forward Coentrao can take it inside or out and add to the attack and he is a good-on-the-ball defender but when you break it down and look at his core job, he is great. Positionally he is wonderful. He drifts in central and defends central and picks up for the center halves quite beautifully. Exceptional stuff when the ball isnt within 20-50 yards of him. Not the stuff thats obvious unless you watch for it. I intentionally spent the game watching him today as Id been talking about full-backs earlier in the thread and he was great.

He does the ***y stuff well which is going forward and defending 1-on-1s but that is only the obvious stuff and he does the less glamerous positional stuff away from the ball brilliantly.

I agree with you. Comfortably Portugals player of the tournament. Very impressive.

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His work in defence even more impressive considering this season just gone was apparently his first as a left back. Makes you wonder how good he could become (assume this isn't just a flash in the pan once off thing..) given he's likely still going to improve.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
His work in defence even more impressive considering this season just gone was apparently his first as a left back. Makes you wonder how good he could become (assume this isn't just a flash in the pan once off thing..) given he's likely still going to improve.
Possibly because he is new to the position then he is still listening and learning and doesnt have an overdeveloped ego when at left back. He is sliding in, listening to shouts, covering for others, holding shape etc. Positionally he is wonderful and has excellent football intelligence.

He is clearly still listening to the coaches and doing all the important and unglamerous things that are key to good defending. As he grows in fame and stature, maybe he will stop doing that and get lazy. He certainly wouldnt be the first.

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
one doubt
in the Germany vs Argentina will both be playing in their home jersey or will one have to go with the away one since both are very light colour ?

if so will Germany be the away side since they where paying in home jersey aganist England or is it decided on toss

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
Speaking of full backs.... Sergio Ramos.... I haven't seen much of him play before but he isn't the best of defenders is he.... He's great going forward but gets caught out too often.... I can remember 2 or 3 times last night... Where he was totally out of position.
Teams like Germany and Argentina should be able to exploit this weakness of Spain.

Likewise I'm going to miss football tonight.... Might get in a early night for a change. Just the thought of no more matches after next week is making me sad. Don't really want to think about watching cricket either. Sri Lanka v India for the millionth time this is rather depressing too.

biased indian

International Coach
so final 8 decided 4 from South america 3 from europe and 1 from africa

think in the past world cup at least 5 teams from Europe and progressed this far and last time more than 2 teams from south America reached this far was in 78

Xuhaib

International Coach
Speaking of full backs.... Sergio Ramos.... I haven't seen much of him play before but he isn't the best of defenders is he.... He's great going forward but gets caught out too often.... I can remember 2 or 3 times last night... Where he was totally out of position.
Teams like Germany and Argentina should be able to exploit this weakness of Spain.

Likewise I'm going to miss football tonight.... Might get in a early night for a change. Just the thought of no more matches after next week is making me sad. Don't really want to think about watching cricket either. Sri Lanka v India for the millionth time this is rather depressing too.
yeah and he dosen't even need to as they have good attacking options up the pitch, he's one of those who you feel are doing pretty well on the pitch just for the visual even though in reality he would be having an average game.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Outstanding. Ive been pointing out the weaknesses of Johnson and then watching Coentrao just reminded me again how bad some players are.

Going forward Coentrao can take it inside or out and add to the attack and he is a good-on-the-ball defender but when you break it down and look at his core job, he is great. Positionally he is wonderful. He drifts in central and defends central and picks up for the center halves quite beautifully. Exceptional stuff when the ball isnt within 20-50 yards of him. Not the stuff thats obvious unless you watch for it. I intentionally spent the game watching him today as Id been talking about full-backs earlier in the thread and he was great.

He does the ***y stuff well which is going forward and defending 1-on-1s but that is only the obvious stuff and he does the less glamerous positional stuff away from the ball brilliantly.

I agree with you. Comfortably Portugals player of the tournament. Very impressive.
It's not gone unnoticed in the wider footballing world either - in the past 24 hours he's been linked with Bayern, Juve, Real and Citeh.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Absolutely AWTA. He's the type of player you only fully appreciate when he plays for your club.

Don't have a problem with Portugal's tactics personally, think they got it spot on. That's the way to beat Spain, and everyone knows it. The only mistake was not taking their chances. They were far from conservative against North Korea in the only match they needed to win.

All that said, obviously I'm glad they went out. Portugal vs. Paraguay would have been excruciating.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Don't have a problem with Portugal's tactics personally, think they got it spot on. That's the way to beat Spain, and everyone knows it. The only mistake was not taking their chances. They were far from conservative against North Korea in the only match they needed to win.

Agreed,if you see the number of chances and the quality of chances and near escapes then Portugal easily were the better team.
They were pretty unlucky to have lost .

Spain was reduced to looking like Arsenal for Most part.Pass,pass and no end product.
Ultimately Villa who has probably been player of the tournament so far proved the difference.

irfan

State Captain
Agreed,if you see the number of chances and the quality of chances and near escapes then Portugal easily were the better team.
They were pretty unlucky to have lost .

Spain was reduced to looking like Arsenal for Most part.Pass,pass and no end product.
Ultimately Villa who has probably been player of the tournament so far proved the difference.
Still think Spain are going to rue not having Torres in top form due to injury. Although Villa is brilliant in the box on his own, but he is so much better with a strong centre forward alongside him. I see Spain are experimenting with Llorente in Torres's absence and although he may share similar physical features I'm not sure if we can bring the necessary quality. Still gobsmacked Fabregas isn't getting a bit more of a go, as dare I say it, Xavi hasn't been inspiring at all this toruney.

The Germans and Argentinians seem to have a few more options in attack with the likes of Messi, Higuain, Tevez, Mueller, Klose, Podolski all exerting an influence

Xuhaib

International Coach
know its unlikely but there is a possibility of 4 South American team in the semi finals, hopefully will make someone in the FIFA think about giving South America at least one more spot.Africa is horribly over representated I feel.