• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL 2009

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo - "Sehwag, Gambhir, de Villiers, and Warner. Top that."

Indeed.

Though, AB is actually a pretty poor 20/20 cricketer. He doesn't know whether to stick or twist and takes five overs too many to get really going. Hopefully a long IPL will sort that out, be nice if he keeps as well (better than Karthik).

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I hope so. :) Someone is going to have to bowl out of their skins though, given they are missing Watto, Tanvir and presumably Tait.
The Captain. :)

Morne should be a handful, especially if some of the Indian cricketers are not used to the pace and bounce of the wickets. Even their national guys don't carry great records in the Republic.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The Captain. :)

Morne should be a handful, especially if some of the Indian cricketers are not used to the pace and bounce of the wickets. Even their national guys don't carry great records in the Republic.
The captain looks like he's going to burst out of his skin at any moment. ;)

It will be interesting to see if the retired Aussies are able to perform.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow. Huge amount of money down the drain there and hugely embarrassing for Kaif as well.
That's an absolutely terrible thing to do. They're treating local domestic players like use-and-throw material or stunt extras, which I really find disturbing. While I've seen this happen with teams from the South and East, the fact that it's happening here, in a team where Shane Warne treats all his players equally, and well, is quite disturbing. Let's just hope the BCCI steps in to stop this- they are, after all, the Indian Cricket Board, and these are Indian cricketers affected. Let's just hope Shane Warne steps in to stop this- he takes good care of his players, even the Indians. Let's just hope this isn't even true- CricketNext.com is one site I never trust.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's an absolutely terrible thing to do. They're treating local domestic players like use-and-throw material or stunt extras, which I really find disturbing. While I've seen this happen with teams from the South and East, the fact that it's happening here, in a team where Shane Warne treats all his players equally, and well, is quite disturbing. Let's just hope the BCCI steps in to stop this- they are, after all, the Indian Cricket Board, and these are Indian cricketers affected. Let's just hope Shane Warne steps in to stop this- he takes good care of his players, even the Indians. Let's just hope this isn't even true- CricketNext.com is one site I never trust.
Huh? They needed to cut their squad - and they cut the players they thought weren't doing the job. It's part of cricket. What's the big deal?

The question is that he was bought for $650,000, and if he can be cut, that means the contracts are not guaranteed past the first year?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Huh? They needed to cut their squad - and they cut the players they thought weren't doing the job. It's part of cricket. What's the big deal?

The question is that he was bought for $650,000, and if he can be cut, that means the contracts are not guaranteed past the first year?
I presume these guys will still get paid. They have had to keep much smaller squads this year because they are based abroad.

I'm quite surprised they'd cut Kaif if he's fit. Surely he's better than a number of the other Indian domestic players?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, I think there is a clear difference between picking someone for a game and dropping them out of the squad. Doesn't that mean someone else can pick him up?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Well, I think there is a clear difference between picking someone for a game and dropping them out of the squad. Doesn't that mean someone else can pick him up?
Nah, pretty sure that it's because all the squads are keeping limited numbers of players over in SA. Costs, GFC, etc. etc.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'm sure the axed players get paid. The rules state that all that a player has to do to get paid is to make himself available for the matches in question. The teams save on boarding and travelling expenses by sending the excess baggage home.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
I'm sure the axed players get paid. The rules state that all that a player has to do to get paid is to make himself available for the matches in question. The teams save on boarding and travelling expenses by sending the excess baggage home.
yep.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
The word 'axed' isn't the most appropriate one to describe the situation..but you know how it is with Indian media8-)

Anyway this from Rajasthan Royals' official site:

Capetown, April 15, 2009 : Rajasthan Royals in the run-up to the second season of IPL in South Africa today decided to reduce their sqaud to 20 players following the warm-up matches. As a result, a few players from the development squad will be returning.

"It has always been a target to pick a final squad of 17-18 players, and this year we have an even stronger squad than last year. It is disappointing to have to let go of any players, as they are all stars in our view. We are a family, building a long-term franchise, and for us player participation is not about one season alone – and all of the guys returning have a big role to play in future matches and tournaments. Much of the attention will focus on Mohammed Kaif, who has been a key part of our success to date – not just as a batsman, but as a role model for our younger Indian players. He has been extremely supportive of the decision, which says a lot about him as a person. Injuries and new conditions mean that the player’s participation later in the tournament is not ruled out."

Manoj Badale, Chairman & Co Owner Rajasthan Royals