• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** India v Pakistan

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Since the umpires had at no point offered the lights, the batsmen had had no opportunity to turn the offer down and thus "agree to play on in unsuitable conditions"
Classic example of Clutching Straws.. :p

Since the batsman had asked for lights and thereby denied means that batsman agreed to play in unsuitable conditions.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
marc71178 said:
In this series?

There's far from a clear gap.
I'm not sure what in particular you're referring to, but IMO there is a fairly large gap between the batting abilities of both teams. Granted Pakistan's batting has the ability to be great (shown in their last innings in the first test, and most of their first innings in the 2nd test), but I'd back India to have a first innings lead in the third test at much greater odds than Pakistan. Even if you brought a fit Shoaib and Gul (you can't claim Saqlain is missing, he doesn't even make the team) into the Pakistani bowling line-up I'd think that.

Bowling is edged towards India, but simply because Kumble is the major factor IMO (Also obviously due to Akhtar missing).

Gangster

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
In this series?

There's far from a clear gap.
Have you watched a single day's play? I'd say from your foolish comment that you haven't. There's a huge gap. Pakistan saved that first match through the skin of their teeth. If time wasn't a factor, India would have won. Pakistan would never have taken 20 Indian wickets. And we all know what happened in the second test match.

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Jono said:
I'm not sure what in particular you're referring to, but IMO there is a fairly large gap between the batting abilities of both teams. Granted Pakistan's batting has the ability to be great (shown in their last innings in the first test, and most of their first innings in the 2nd test), but I'd back India to have a first innings lead in the third test at much greater odds than Pakistan. Even if you brought a fit Shoaib and Gul (you can't claim Saqlain is missing, he doesn't even make the team) into the Pakistani bowling line-up I'd think that.

Bowling is edged towards India, but simply because Kumble is the major factor IMO (Also obviously due to Akhtar missing).
India have 3 batsmen in the top 10 in the world. Enough said.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Gangster said:
India have 3 batsmen in the top 10 in the world. Enough said.
India has a very powerful top order. But Pakistan makes up somewhat with a pretty handsome lower order. The Indian batting is stronger but the difference may not be as much as in the present bowling match ups. Anyside which has Tendulkar, Dravid and Sehwag in the top four will be great but look at Razzaq and Akmal at seven and eight. They make up somewhat (not fully maybe) for the relatively weaker top.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Razzaq did play a very good knock in the 1st test SJS, but he has a long way to completely convincing me that he is a top test batsman. Its obvious you see potential in Akmal, but really those two played out of their skins in the 1st test, and there's nothing that shows they can do that even moderately consistently. The strength of the Pakistan line up IMO lies with Inzy, Youhana (I've heard all the arguments before, I still feel he's one of Pakistan's best), Younis and Kamal. There's obviously a hole with the openers (Hameed and Butt have natural talent, but thats useless if they're not played) and Akmal and Razzaq are very handy, but I don't think it closes the gap at all.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
India - Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman, Karthick, Pathan
Pakistan - Butt, Taufeeq, YKhan, Inzamam, Youhana, Kamal, Razzaq, Akmal, Sami

India clearly the better one and there is a huge gap. I rate Akmal and Karthick's batting at the same level, Razzaq is clearly over rated as a test batsman, both got best of the batting conditions when they made their highest score in the series, Sami & Pathan, may be Sami is little better.

Last edited:

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
India - Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Sachin, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman, Karthick, Pathan
Pakistan - Butt, Taufeeq, YKhan, Inzamam, Youhana, Kamal, Razzaq, Akmal, Sami

India clearly the better one and there is a huge gap.
esp since we have both Sachin and Tendulkar :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Since the batsman had asked for lights and thereby denied means that batsman agreed to play in unsuitable conditions.
No because the batsman is not the judge of the conditions, the umpire is.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
I'm not sure what in particular you're referring to
Based on this series, I'm asking for the evidence of this so called wide gap between the batting, bowling and fielding of the 2 sides.

Considering the 1st match was drawn and Pakistan competed for a long time in the second, I cannot see how this gap is as vast as being made out.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
No because the batsman is not the judge of the conditions, the umpire is.
Yes, an umpire who is either unbiased or Capable. It seems Mr. Bucknor is neither.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
What makes you so sure about that.

A 4th innings target of 293 is a very tricky one indeed.
Yeah very tricky esp.on a pitch where player like Akmal was cracking century, Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman would have all succummbed to the great pressure. :laugh: :laugh:

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:

Yes indeed. India were clearly going to lose since they were 85/1 in 17 overs!!!

Gangster

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:

Because the pitch looked horrible for batting and the fearsome Pakistani attack of Rana, Sami, Razzaq and Kaneria were going to do the trick? Have they looked capable of bowling India out for under 400? They haven't done it yet.

Swervy

International Captain
biased indian said:
and we where 85/1 in real quik time
I think we all know that had victory been a realistic prosepect, India would not have such a dash happy attitude in that last innings

edit: should have read India would not..as opposed to would :p

Last edited:

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Swervy said:
I think we all know that had victory been a realistic prosepect, India would have such a dash happy attitude in that last innings
We do? Well maybe I'm just not as clairvoyant as you are. After all, India batted so slowly in the first innings, especially with Virender Sehwag, or as they know him in his hometown, the king of the dot ball. Perhaps it's possible to say well Pakistan might have bowled a little better had they realistically thought they had time to collect all 10 wickets, but since India has averaged about 450 runs per innings they've batted in the series thus far, I'm not sure they would've quite been shaking in their boots. This isn't to insult the Pakistanis, they put up a great fight in both Mohali and Kolkata. I think for the test in Bangalore, they need to recall Shoaib Akhtar and go with this team:

Salman Butt
Shahid Afridi
Younis Khan
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Yousuf Youhana
Asim Kamal
Abdul Razzaq
Kamran Akmal
Shoaib Akhtar
Arshad Khan
Danish Kaneria

3 spinners, 2 pace bowlers including one of the best in the world. If Akhtar is unfit, then Sami should take his place.