• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India Tour of South Africa, 2023/24

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
I mean the Gabba got a poor rating last year and it lasted longer than this, so.....

OTOH they only gave below average to some of those rank roads which wouldn't have gotten a result in a ten day match.
Try telling that to England in Rawalpindi.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
What a knock by Markram, hope it settles the debate about where he should be batting for the Proteas in Tests.
It amazes me every time someone questions his place in the team.

The problem SA batting has is a lack of consistency and match practice. The talent is there but nobody truly gets a chance to hone there skills because the game is in such a poor state.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Didn't watch the game but we have played on crap pitches before and not been rolled for 55. I think the team from circa 2010 would have posted at least 150. But then again I didn't watch the game.
Your 2010/11 side literally **** the bed for one innings here against Australia. Only winning because Australia **** even more. And if you didn't watch the game then why the **** are you commenting like this?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah man, Im all for mocking modern batsmen's defensive failings, but this pitch was unplayable.
The one thing that you could say is neither batting side made an effort to leave balls in the channel that would be missing off stump or bouncing over the top. However, this may be a natural result of the impulse to look to score on such decks. Very few wickets on day one were hitting the stumps. But granted this is easier said than done on a pitch offering such variable bounce and the odd one ducking in off the seam.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
What a knock by Markram, hope it settles the debate about where he should be batting for the Proteas in Tests.

But what a disgrace of a pitch, can't have Tests finishing so quickly.
I think it is all fine unless anyone was in danger - and that's not for me to say. Also amazing that it didn't really swing around because blue skies. If it did, maybe we'd have seen even lower scores.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I still can't believe that the World Cup final pitch was rated below average. A batsman got a hundred there in the final. How can that be a poor pitch? So these are the things the ICC, the match referees, they need to look into and start rating pitches based on what they see, not based on the countries. I think that's quite important.
wait the wc final pitch was rated below average?

Molehill

International Captain

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
On the pitch... it was screw up by the groundsman who should be taken to task... It was not a deliberate attempt by CSA to try turn the pitch in SA favour. It generally does not do SA team any favours.

The complaints of some of the Indian pitches in the past is that occasionally a stupid pitch is deliberately brought out that rags sideways from day 1, if it was purely a case of the groundsman screwing up then it deserves censure but not endless complaining. If however it was an attempt by BCCI or team request to deliberately alter the normal state of the pitch then that should also be taken to task and complained about.

More recently India has not done this and I've had no complaints in general about the Indian pitches, but I do remember when it was done. CSA also did it recently in JHB at Wanderers, when India toured a few years back. And that deserved censure as well.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
On the pitch... it was screw up by the groundsman who should be taken to task... It was not a deliberate attempt by CSA to try turn the pitch in SA favour. It generally does not do SA team any favours.

The complaints of some of the Indian pitches in the past is that occasionally a stupid pitch is deliberately brought out that rags sideways from day 1, if it was purely a case of the groundsman screwing up then it deserves censure but not endless complaining. If however it was an attempt by BCCI or team request to deliberately alter the normal state of the pitch then that should also be taken to task and complained about.

More recently India has not done this and I've had no complaints in general about the Indian pitches, but I do remember when it was done. CSA also did it recently in JHB at Wanderers, when India toured a few years back. And that deserved censure as well.

Literally been 0 instances of this IMO. I think all home boards do try to prepare pitches that suit their team's strength to some level or the other. Honestly, I think some are just better at pulling it off than the others.

It has also been hilarious as we have seen almost every time they prepare something way off the dial towards one type of bowling, it has been the visiting side that come out victorious as it really reduces the gap in quality of the teams and it becomes a lottery/shootout often dependent on the toss.