• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My favorite Aussie cricketer ever. His square cuts in 1991-92 were one of the most lasting moments from my childhood.In one of the ODIs, David was approaching hundred and Dean Jones his fifty, but there were only a few runs to reach the target. I was hoping David reach his milestone and he did. Dean couldn't though.
I remember him taking the gloves in that India-Australia World Cup match towards the end! Still bitter about that one, robbed by the rain rule.

vcs

Personally I think it's up there with the most disappointing years India has ever had (let's not talk about 0-8 since it never happened). Not the worst just the most disappointing. Because there was justified optimism that the team should be able to win something substantial overseas since the bowling attack had genuine quality for once. Watching them barely do better than the 2014 cycle when the team was full of noobs was rough.

The expectations went up in hindsight. No one really expected the quicks to do as well as they actually did.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I remember him taking the gloves in that India-Australia World Cup match towards the end! Still bitter about that one, robbed by the rain rule.
The most heart breaking moment of the first world cup I watched. **** Shastri. 25 off 67 balls !! How this guy ever ended up playing 150 odi matches. Most beta cricketer ever.

Burner

International Regular
IF India win or draw the final test their year is going to be pretty good imo. They'll get better chances to win a series in SA especially considering that those series' are mostly 2 or 3 tests and it's much easier to win such a series than a 4 or 5 match series like they have in Aus. If they lose it's going to be a pretty terrible year too. I don't think they'll get a better chance to win a series in Aus.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Personally I think it's up there with the most disappointing years India has ever had (let's not talk about 0-8 since it never happened). Not the worst just the most disappointing. Because there was justified optimism that the team should be able to win something substantial overseas since the bowling attack had genuine quality for once. Watching them barely do better than the 2014 cycle when the team was full of noobs was rough.
Yeah, this. And then Kohli after Melbourne test comes out and says he never listened to anyone outside, team had great self belief etc. There is nothing to gloat about results he has got. One hopes SA loss hurts him just as much as it hurts fans. Can't keep gloating about being competitive and fail to acknowledge errors.

Niall

International Coach
I thought Shaw had gone home and was out of the entire series.
Shaw is out of the series. Not sure what the play is for India now, Vihari to replace Rohit and take a punt on Rahul,Vijay or Patel to open. Other option is slot in Ashwin for Rohit. Tough call.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The most heart breaking moment of the first world cup I watched. **** Shastri. 25 off 67 balls !! How this guy ever ended up playing 150 odi matches. Most beta cricketer ever.
What’s this nonsense in this thread calling random people they don’t like “beta”?

Shastri is beta because he didn’t have the talent but worked hard as hell.
Rahul Dravid is Beta because he scored too slow.
Kohli is beta because he is animated on the field.
Lyon is beta because he is losing his hair.
Allan Border is beta because he played three shots.

Stop with this nonsense. That type of crap belongs on an alt right or incel forum.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The alpha and beta stuff comes from the Grade Cricketer book (I think).

It's not meant to be taken seriously.

Burgey

What’s this nonsense in this thread calling random people they don’t like “beta”?

Stop with this nonsense. That type of crap belongs on an alt right or incel forum.
It’s all come about since ***** took over the captaincy of the Hong Kong incel XI.

TheJediBrah

It's become annoying because people are just using it to describe anything they don't like, which is not what it means. It can be pretty funny when used correctly, and conservatively.

btw not liking calling things beta is beta

aussie tragic

International Captain
How is this Labuschagne guy considered an allrounder?

43 FC matches, batting average 33.16, 24 wkts @ 48.08

I wouldn't even consider him a batsmen that bowls as he has a WK average

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Also I’m not a fan of Shastri. He’s too chummy with the BCCI and I am not a fan of him as a commentator either. But as a player, there isn’t much to criticize. Everyone knew he wasn’t a superstar. But the bloke did a job for India when he played. And a good one at that. Stood up in some hard situations when a lot of bigger names didn’t.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Reckon he’s going to play?

Maybe these are famous last words but based on those stats, I hope he does...

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Marnus is potentially a quality batsman going forward, well organised at the crease. But he has nothing much in the way of recent form, and his bowling isn't much more than part time

TheJediBrah

He was never considered an all-rounder until he randomly took a few wickets in the UAE Tests. He was picked as a batsman initially.

The Aus selectors are just using that as an excuse to pick him ahead of much better batsmen

I think Marnus is potentially a quality batsman going forward, well organised at the crease. But he has nothing much in the way of recent form, and his bowling isn't much more than part time
This is the problem with Aus selections recently. Picking guys because they look like they have potential, or they look good technically, eg. "well organised at the crease", instead of picking the players who are actually succeeding. It sounds ****ing obvious but for some reason it's still not being done.

Last edited: