• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I really doubt anyone has ever had a better first 5-6 tests in terms of the context and quality of the performances. The guy is basically uphill climbing at 85 degrees in his first year of test cricket and has 21 wickets @ 20 and 4 literal match winning knocks in 5 tests. I cannot stop repeating this point.
Stop hitching on to my bandwagons ?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As ever, getting left out of Tests when they conditions aren't clearly in your favour is a eligibility fail for me to be classed as a high quality Test cricketer. Clearly a matchwinner in the right conditions though.
Aside from the England tests immediately after the BG trophy, where he was added to the squad due to injuries anyways, when was he "left out"? Maybe the Lords test but even then it was a case of Ishant returning to fitness.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jfc Rahanes average has dropped to 38.9

I get he's playing in a tough era and all that, but when's the last time a batter has played as many Tests as Rahane and finished with a sub 40 average?
There's a bunch of guys ahead of him actually:

Obviously a bunch of them are not purely batsmen.

And a bunch miss out by being just a hair over 40.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Also several of these are openers. It's even more galling that this guy bats down at number 5 and rarely has to even face the first new ball because the openers have actually done well in recent times.

Teja.

Global Moderator

Also, there’s only one or two players who has played as many tests as him (the criteria) exclusively or mostly post 2010 so you have to look at the guys from 90s and 80s for better comparision.

cnerd123

likes this

Ranatunga, Atapattu, John Wright, Nasser, Atherton and maybe even Hooper the only real batters on that list. The others with more runs than Rahane are keepers or all-rounders. Karunaratne is there too but the way he's going he'll probably go above 40 soon.

Of those above Rahane a couple are openers, all played for weak sides, and none are really that good. Suppose it's a fair bracket for Rahane to set in. Player of great innings but not a great player.

As I type he nails a ***y coverdrive. Worthy of a man who averages 40+

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
KL's captaincy hasn't been that good, notwithstanding the fact that it's his first test as captain and it's probably been ages since he's done it in the long format.
Both him and Rahane have left the game meander a bit. Rahane had BS bowling changes on top of that, Rahul had weird field placings instead of that part. Think it shows clearly you need someone with the personality of Bewda if you are gonna have a nice guy captain or else we need Virat or at the very least, the **** eating ****iness of Rohit.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah, I think it's about as even as it gets, SA still have to bat last.
I think at 50/2, it’s certainly more even-ish. But 50 is a long way from 250. Problem with anything sub 200 is all it takes is one guy to make a big score or a few guys to just build a couple of partnerships, so its very difficult to bowl to.

cnerd123

likes this
Both him and Rahane have left the game meander a bit. Rahane had BS bowling changes on top of that, Rahul had weird field placings instead of that part. Think it shows clearly you need someone with the personality of Bewda if you are gonna have a nice guy captain or else we need Virat or at the very least, the **** eating ****iness of Rohit.
I never know how much of these strategies are actually the captain's doing, and how much is the bowlers setting their own plans or instructions from the coaches.

I think the bowling changes were generally okay