• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

Teja.

Global Moderator
I really doubt anyone has ever had a better first 5-6 tests in terms of the context and quality of the performances. The guy is basically uphill climbing at 85 degrees in his first year of test cricket and has 21 wickets @ 20 and 4 literal match winning knocks in 5 tests. I cannot stop repeating this point.

shashy

School Boy/Girl Captain
I really doubt anyone has ever had a better first 5-6 tests in terms of the context and quality of the performances. The guy is basically uphill climbing at 85 degrees in his first year of test cricket and has 21 wickets @ 20 and 4 literal match winning knocks in 5 tests. I cannot stop repeating this point.
Again, reminiscent of early-Beefy!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kyle Jamieson and Sam Curran had insane starts too

Flem274*

123/5
KJ, but yes he's done better than anyone dared to dream in their heart of hearts. I'm not sure moneyball is the right term, but Thakur has performed far better than intuition and a quick stats analysis would suggest. He's seized his opportunities with flying colours.

I genuinely think he should be able to proper bat too. His FC average is ****house but when you watch him play there's a real batsman in there, unlike your average #8 who skates by on natural talent.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
As a tribute to him, let us hope "Pu-rane" put their combined mediocrity aside and perform in the second innings.

#win-it-for-Shardul

Teja.

Global Moderator
KJ, but yes he's done better than anyone dared to dream in their heart of hearts. I'm not sure moneyball is the right term, but Thakur has performed far better than intuition and a quick stats analysis would suggest. He's seized his opportunities with flying colours.

I genuinely think he should be able to proper bat too. His FC average is ****house but when you watch him play there's a real batsman in there, unlike your average #8 who skates by on natural talent.
KJ's raw stats are better definitely and he'll probably have a much better career overall but in his first few tests, Thakur has put in massive ****ing performances in historic away wins without which they wouldn't have been close to possible.

Thakur's effective debut in Brisbane was on the level of KJ debuting in the second test against India in India recently and taking a 7-fer and a 50 from a 150-run deficit and a completely dead situation for NZ to win the match to get NZ a series win in India.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thakur has exclusively made arse saving runs or exclusively provided crucial breakthroughs with the ball. His three fifties were all as match turning as they come and he's regularly come on to bowl and taken out the opposition's best bat. Its truly insane.

I still don't think he passes the eye test as a truly excellent test cricketer but he's so far doing his best to prove I may need new glasses.

Spark

Global Moderator
KJ's raw stats are better definitely and he'll probably have a much better career overall but in his first few test, Thakur has put in massive ****ing performances in historic away wins without which they wouldn't have been close to possible.
Without wanting to downplay what Thakur has done, Jamieson also has been picked for every game he's been available for of late - including those on really unfavourable pitches for his bowling.

As ever, getting left out of Tests when they conditions aren't clearly in your favour is a eligibility fail for me to be classed as a high quality Test cricketer. Clearly a matchwinner in the right conditions though.

sunilz

International Regular
Without wanting to downplay what Thakur has done, Jamieson also has been picked for every game he's been available for of late - including those on really unfavourable pitches for his bowling.

As ever, getting left out of Tests when they conditions aren't clearly in your favour is a eligibility fail for me to be classed as a high quality Test cricketer. Clearly a matchwinner in the right conditions though.
Better spinner , Paul Harris or Stuart Macgill?

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Thakur has exclusively made arse saving runs or exclusively provided crucial breakthroughs with the ball. His three fifties were all as match turning as they come and he's regularly come on to bowl and taken out the opposition's best bat. Its truly insane.

I still don't think he passes the eye test as a truly excellent test cricketer but he's so far doing his best to prove I may need new glasses.
Clutchness personified.

Teja.

Global Moderator

I am not talking about Thakur's quality as a cricketer though. Obviously KJ is a lot mroe talented and will have a much better career. I am talking about the quality of his first few tests.

Spark

Global Moderator
Harris was picked every time by SA, Macgill only in selected games. Hope you understand the context.
You do know that Macgill did have periods in his career where he was the sole spinner, yes? And that he did fine?

Flem274*

123/5
KJ's raw stats are better definitely and he'll probably have a much better career overall but in his first few tests, Thakur has put in massive ****ing performances in historic away wins without which they wouldn't have been close to possible.

Thakur's effective debut in Brisbane was on the level of KJ debuting in the second test against India in India recently and taking a 7-fer and a 50 from a 150-run deficit and a completely dead situation for NZ to win the match to get NZ a series win in India.

Yeah, I like both of these perspectives despite them being at odds. Thakur has been hidden or considered not good enough to play every game, but when he does play he has been talismanic.

Thakur is making a proper case for starting, but he'll lose that spot for someone more interesting to the eye as soon as he goes wicketless on a flat deck. He could surprise though. Flat deck bowling is often as much about keeping patient and disciplined in your plans than your skillset (see Bangladesh right now vs England at the same ground a couple of years ago).

Spark

Global Moderator
I am not talking about Thakur's quality as a cricketer though. Obviously KJ is a lot mroe talented and will have a much better career. I am talking about the quality of his first few tests.
Oh yeah I'm just trying to contextualise why he might fail the "eye test", which implicitly is a "how do you think he'd do in all conditions?" test, as that's the ultimate test of a cricketer's technical skillset.