• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2013/14

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They could have gotten there just by taking the singles Dhoni was offering them
Nah that's a slight exaggeration. Dhoni was only offering Philander singles. It seemed that he wanted Steyn on strike. Doubt he'd have had everyone on the boundary then. Particularly because when Philander eventually took the single he brought the field up big time.

The main thing is they could have gotten the target gettable (10-12) to the point where they could swing from the hips in the last over and if they got an outside edge for 4 or got onto one and cleared the boundary, India could have **** themselves.

South Africa better win Durban. They probably will, I feel like we fired our shot, but then again I didn't even think India had a shot to fire in the first place. So if this team of kids can take it up to SA like that at Jo'burg, they may do it again at SA's bogey ground.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Difference between a very good and great team - cannot imagine a Warne, etc blocking it out

Equivalent of a fighter that has been on the ropes for 11 rounds finally connecting and then backing off because he is happy just to make the end
Except the fighter on the ropes would lose not draw.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Those two run outs really cost SA in the scheme of things. That and the innings of the McGrath of batsmen, Pujara.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
"Ultimately the guys out in the middle made the decision that they thought was in the best interests of the team. " -Smith
Uh, you're the captain. What's the point of being one if you can't or won't make decisions like this?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
:laugh: So good.

Yeah a slight exaggeration but they could have given themselves 10 or so to get off the last over with little risk
Yep definitely. Even with 6 balls left and 16 to get they didn't go for it until very late in the over. What the?

I think it would be a story in any case that SA didn't go for the win, but the fact they were close to breaking the test cricket record just makes it that much more newsworthy.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
I hope India consider playing 5 bowlers if the pitch isn't that helpful. That might seem like an overreaction to the batting performance in this one test, but I really fear for the bowlers if Durban isn't a helpful pitch. Already Dhoni has bowled Zak into the ground, and Ishant was getting a bit of a limp. Adding Bhuvi, dropping Dhawan, opening with Pujara, and playing Ashwin/Dhoni at 6/7 is a gamble that could pay off. Dropping Dhawan seems harsh but what he did in the first innings was so downright irresponsible, maybe it'll do him good in the long-run.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Also, someone from this Indian batting needs to develop into a legitimate part-time option. Rohit seems like the best candidate, but he didn't even bowl in this test. Kohli is hopeless with his cutters. Vijay, Pujara, Rahane, Dhawan don't really bowl. Maybe they ought to start learning. Underrated aspect of the past Indian teams was the variety of part-time options. Ganguly could tie up an end with his seam-up, Sehwag with his off-spin, and Sachin was always good if you were just searching for a wicket and runs weren't at a premium.

Without any legit part-time options, time to consider if Ashwin can take the next step as a batsman...or if there's hope for Jadeja as a bowler and/or batsman (cringe)

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
South Africa have lost the last 4 tests at durban, that's somewhat comforting to know. I still feel Bhuvi/Umesh instead of Ishant is the way to go, adding an extra seamer is a tempting option, but you have to wonder if we can really afford to go with 5 bats + Dhoni, and if they were to drop a batsmen who would it be? Can't drop Rahane after his fielding and first innings contribution, Rohit has only one bad test so far so it would be tough to take him out.

On the positive side, Morkel won't play at Durban in all probability, which is a massive bonus for India since he can get steep bounce, especially if the Durban pitch is anything like it was when we toured in 2010.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yep definitely. Even with 6 balls left and 16 to get they didn't go for it until very late in the over. What the?

I think it would be a story in any case that SA didn't go for the win, but the fact they were close to breaking the test cricket record just makes it that much more newsworthy.
It's odd because I was just about ready to post about how impressive - and frightening - SA's self-belief was, and that they genuinely had the confidence that they could win from just about any situation.

But obviously not...

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
South Africa have lost the last 4 tests at durban, that's somewhat comforting to know. I still feel Bhuvi/Umesh instead of Ishant is the way to go, adding an extra seamer is a tempting option, but you have to wonder if we can really afford to go with 5 bats + Dhoni, and if they were to drop a batsmen who would it be? Can't drop Rahane after his fielding and first innings contribution, Rohit has only one bad test so far so it would be tough to take him out.

On the positive side, Morkel won't play at Durban in all probability, which is a massive bonus for India since he can get steep bounce, especially if the Durban pitch is anything like it was when we toured in 2010.
Drop Dhawan for one match. More like 5 bats + Ashwin. Anything Dhoni gets is just a tail-end bonus

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Wow.

What makes Durban such a curse for South Africa?

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
India was lucky to get away with a draw.This Indian attack comprising of 4 bowlers and no part timers is not capable of sustaining focus and control for more than 100 overs.Dhoni took a big risk in allowing SA, four and half sessions to score 450 plus runs.Remember nowadays a 400 plus fourth innings target is not difficult as it was in the era of uncovered pitches.Dhoni should have batted normally until tea on the fourth day,(instead of throwing the wickets away in quest of quick runs) , leaving SA to score more than 500 in four sessions.Then SA would have batted only for survival and there would have been less pressure on the bowlers.People who talk about sporting declarations and "going for win" should realize that Test Cricket is not like that.Since the pitch was playing better on the fourth and fifth days,there was no chance that this limited Indian attack would bowl out the opposition in four and half sessions.Only the freak dismissals of Amla and Kallis prevented SA from winning the Test comfortably

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
Can't be arsed going back to multiquote the posts, but to those slating SA fans for being angry at Smith/Domingo's attitude:

Come on. I've been one of Smith's biggest fans over the numerous lows of his career, saying he's got the "x-factor" that'll mean he'll always come right. I've supported him when noone else has. But as a captain, you have to go for the win when you're in charge of a world number 1 team that is clearly out in front of number 2 on the rankings. It's that sort of decision that Australia characterised, and their self-belief is what made them that immovable world number 1 team. If we are too scared to lose that we won't try win, then as comfortably the best team in the world, we're going about things the wrong way. Particularly for a team who is trying to shake a tag of being weak mentally.

I've also got a bias towards Domingo, given he is the former coach of the Warriors, who are the domestic team I support. I'd be more likely to want to give him more of a chance than most, but this sort of thing is unforgivable.

And if Smith/Domingo didn't make the decision, that further emphasises that they're a weak leadership pair. At that point, they HAD to step up and make decisions.

Not that I believe for a second they didn't make the decision. Steyn's body-language told it all.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Algoa FM ‏@AlgoaFM 11m
"When @DaleSteyn62 walked to wicket, we decided to make sure of draw. Considering wicket on day 5." - @RussellDomingo #DMBShow @DaronMann
Retweeted by Daron Mann
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
That doesn't add up to what Smith said......