• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Pakistan Thread

Swervy

International Captain
why cant the indian fans just be happy that Sehwag got 309 and Tendulkar got 190 odd...and also be happy that your team is in an unbeatable position

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I am not sure what Dravid was thinking or thinking at all....Any batsman earns the right to his double ton(unless he gets out), after scoring 194 with all that sweat and toil. And I would need a lot of convincing on the team exigency which prompted the decision...I mean, what was it that couldn't be done one over later ? This is absolutely stupid and whether or not Ganguly advised Dravid to do it or not, it remains a decision that was made by Dravid and he is the one who is solely responsible for this stupidity.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
This is not stupidity, this is game plan. No Individual, not even Tendulkar, is bigger than the game and that's what this declaration was all about. There was no Guarntee that Sachin was going to score a hundred in next over, He could have got out or have taken another 3-4 overs to score his 200, we all saw him in Australia how he slowed down the innings in Sydney test, didn't we ?

I am glad that Dravid had the guts to make the right call.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Yeah ? what gameplan would have been messed up if one more over could be given to a batsman to score the double ton he deserves...captains normally make a balanced decision when declarations need to made with a personal milestone for a batsman coming closer. Its not about Sachin...it could be any batsman.

Muddaser

School Boy/Girl Captain
we definitely need a couple of swing bowlers in our bowling line up but instead a competition has been held on speed. heres the results from UFONE speed comp in punjab province.

Mohammed adil 89mph

mohammed irshaad 87mph

both of them are in the final to be held on april 4th and will be shown live on PTV.

by the way these are average speeds.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
aussie_beater said:
Yeah ? what gameplan would have been messed up if one more over could be given to a batsman to score the double ton he deserves...captains normally make a balanced decision when declarations need to made with a personal milestone for a batsman coming closer. Its not about Sachin...it could be any batsman.
In Sydney he was alllowed to cross the milestone of 236 (Sunny Gavaskar's highest score ) and it took him forever, in this match it was another milestone, next match it will be some other..How much longer we need to do this..Cricket isn't about personal milestones, if you get it then good for you, if not, hard luck, team comes first.

Dravid did the right thing and his decision would have been vindicated had our bowlers taken couple of wickets.

Yuvraj4Tests

Cricket Spectator
I am new here and I am a big Yuvraj fan.

I will like to congratulate Sehwag for teh first ever triple ton by an Indian, sachin for his 190 odd and Yuvraj for performing really well in whatever limited oppurtunities he get.

Rich2001

International Captain
Yuvraj4Tests said:
I completely agree with what Dravid did...Team always come first.
Unfortuntaly I had to work so missed the end of the days play, but how was Tendulkar batting at the time? As it reads as if the declaring came as a surprise... Iam sure if Tendulkar knew it was coming he could have hit those 6 runs in a over or two at the most, it still would have given India 15 overs to bowl to Pakistan at the end of the day.

Maybe Dravid was being nice to Sehwag and didn't want anyone to steel his spotlight, so didn't let Tendulkar get to a equally impressive milestone, who knows.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Ofcourse Cricket is not a game of personal milestones, but its a game where statistics and milestones have more meaning then most other sports with the exception of baseball. Its something that fans value and players look for. And it has been a courtesy that captains accord to batsman who are about to reach a milestone, unless some team objective is going to be put under serious trouble by doing that. Also the scoring rate was around 4 an over at that point, so any worries about the scoring being slow and all that are unfounded.

Yes, you can argue that if the Indian bowlers had got a wicket or two, his decision would have been vindicated... but it didn't, right ? Such a decision is made without delay when there is some benefit that can be drawn from the conditions like fading light or a breeze or impending rain or what have you.Was any of that in sight ? No !! So the "team cause" excuse is lame at best when some more runs could have been scored and a batsman could have achieved his personal milestone as well.

NikhilN

International Regular
Rich2001 said:
Unfortuntaly I had to work so missed the end of the days play, but how was Tendulkar batting at the time? As it reads as if the declaring came as a surprise... Iam sure if Tendulkar knew it was coming he could have hit those 6 runs in a over or two at the most, it still would have given India 15 overs to bowl to Pakistan at the end of the day.

Maybe Dravid was being nice to Sehwag and didn't want anyone to steel his spotlight, so didn't let Tendulkar get to a equally impressive milestone, who knows.

equally!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????? What does that mean?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Proud Indian said:
He (Tendulkar) actually reached a world record - yet much of the media missed it.

Funnily enough, I never mentioned it in my match report either (runs off to correct it)

Rich2001

International Captain
Proud Indian said:
The point I was making was that Sehwag now stands out as the major inning of the innings, whereas if Tendulkar made 200 then the media would have focused alot on that too (as 200 is no mean feet itself and just being Tendulkar it would get alot of coverage), therefore taking the spotlight away from a stunning innings by Sehwag.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Rich2001 said:
The point I was making was that Sehwag now stands out as the major inning of the innings, whereas if Tendulkar made 200 then the media would have focused alot on that too (as 200 is no mean feet itself and just being Tendulkar it would get alot of coverage), therefore taking the spotlight away from a stunning innings by Sehwag.
Declaring with Tendulkar on 194 took the spotlight away from Sehwag more than a 200 from SRT could take the spotlight away..

Lets just hope Pakistan doesnt do a repeat of 952 :S

NikhilN

International Regular
Well I dont think people will start to talk about Tendulkars 200 when Sehwag is the first Indian batsman ever in 72 years to get a 300 and the best part is it was in pakistan so even if Tendulkar made 200 it would make no dif

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Aussie beater - As a fan I dont care about Sachin Tendulkar's or for that matter any player's personal milestone. Btw what was the milestone again ?? He had already scored his 33rd century and was on course to make a successive 200 which isn't any milestone IMO. Sachin himself has said on many occasions that 'Records dont matter to him', then why this dissappointment ?

As for the team cause being an 'excuse' are you accusing Dravid having some grudge against Tendulkar ? No one can guarantee that Sachin was going to make his double century in next over, Sydney being recent example of it when he was allowed to break SMG's 236 and slowed down the inning when a newbie like Parthiv Patel scored a quickfire 60 in 50 balls, Sachin took almost 40 balls to score 36 runs. How many times are we going to allow players to complete their milestone. Yes we didn't get any wicket, but we were close, and missed it by a whisker.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I cannot see this being anything other than a premeditated decision (i.e. when the next wicket goes down we declare). Maybe he could have given him another over, but what if Sachin was unable to get the strike?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
luckyeddie said:
I cannot see this being anything other than a premeditated decision (i.e. when the next wicket goes down we declare). Maybe he could have given him another over, but what if Sachin was unable to get the strike?
Tendulkar would have had the consolation of knowing he has got 1/2 overs n then it couldnt be helped..

Here, they declared and 'surprised Tendulkar' as he said himself. That was not on..

You may go on to ask what if Tendulkar is on 199 after those 2 overs or 1 over given to him.. I doubt he would have or most fans would have grudged that as he was given the opportunity..