• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Pakistan Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
India declares and that ends a huge innings. Great stuff by India, dominated Pakistan the whole time they were out there, absolutely dominated them. Sachin has another not out after a great knock of 194, however the star so far has been Sehwag. 309, bloody brilliant! Yuvraj played a handy innings too!

Hopefully India can get some wickets in the last 15 overs or so and really put the pressure on Pakistan.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Adamc said:
Seconded. :P Incidentally, Sehwag's 309 and Tendulkar's 194* make them only the 6th pair from the same team in Test match history to aggregate 500+ in the same innings of a Test match. The list is headed by Sobers/Hunte with an aggregate of 625 (365* and 260), others are Jayasuriya/Mahanama (565), Hutton/Leyland (551), Miandad/Nazar (511), and Ponsford/Bradman (510).

Yuvraj out, c&b Farhat.

Oh dear, Dravid declares with Sachin on 194*! Perhaps trying to keep the record for most double-centuries by an Indian to himself :P

Perhaps its Yuvraj to blame rather than Dravid. I think the instructions Powar carried out were that we'll declare on the fall of a wicket.

hellnback

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, poor Tendulkar left on 194*... declaration could've waited 10 mins for the 200!!! 6 runs short of 4th double century. Atapattu with 5 & Lara with 6 lead current batsman, Bradman with 12 leads Hammond's 7 overall.

Tendulkar's run of scores... 241*, 60*, 194* = 395 (with more to be added at a later date)

Sobers was 365*, 125.

Last edited:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
jamesryfler said:
Perhaps its Yuvraj to blame rather than Dravid. I think the instructions Powar carried out were that we'll declare on the fall of a wicket.
Fair enough, another 2-3 overs for Sachin to get to 200 would probably have defeated the purpose of sending Pakistan in anyway, and Sachin doesn't seem like the type to put himself above the interests of the team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Adamc said:
Incidentally, Sehwag's 309 and Tendulkar's 194* make them only the 6th pair from the same team in Test match history to aggregate 500+ in the same innings of a Test match.
Are you Neil in disguise?! ;)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Are you Neil in disguise?! ;)
No, just finding new ways to delay studying for chemistry test. It was only by coincidence that I came across that information though.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Have you people realised Virender Sehwag didnt deserve his 309 because he was dropped which were some relatively easy catches (by Test standard)
You cannot, repeat, CANNOT argue against a 300+ score. Besides, that's how Sehwag always plays, so you'll expect a few chances. And who asked them to drop those catches? Not him, not any of us. They're at fault for dropping catches.

Tame ending to the day for the Indians, though the openers played a few good shots. Perhaps the Indians will have a lot of chances tomorrow and the day after. Why 3 seamers were picked, I cannot tell. I would have had Powar in place of Zaheer or Balaji. Hopefully Parthiv won't mess up anything tomorrow.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Arjun said:
You cannot, repeat, CANNOT argue against a 300+ score. Besides, that's how Sehwag always plays, so you'll expect a few chances. And who asked them to drop those catches? Not him, not any of us. They're at fault for dropping catches.
Judging by the number of smilies and whatnot after Craig's original post it is quite likely that he was only half-serious, perhaps having a go at Richard or something. I agree with you though, regardless of how many catches were dropped, Sehwag did well to capitalise and score 309, whereas many others might not have.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Fair enough, another 2-3 overs for Sachin to get to 200 would probably have defeated the purpose of sending Pakistan in anyway, and Sachin doesn't seem like the type to put himself above the interests of the team.
still a bit rough. its not like sachin is a chopra, i'm sure he would have chanced his arm and got to 200 in a couple of balls.

dravid has to look after his players too. i remember ganguly declaring at 705 rather than 700(at sydney) so sachin could overtake gavaskars away record. it gives so much satisfaction to the player.

tooextracool

International Coach
you know i thought the pakistani fielding couldnt get worse than in the ODIs but it just did. i think they rank right up their with the west indies in terms of not being able to take their catches. most of them were bowling a foot wide outside the offstump to sehwag and he kept obliging by smashing them over point. the pitch is flat yes but 675/5 on any wicket is unacceptable even if it was at karachi.
sehwag has got to be the luckiest guy in the world. it seems that when he bats all the other teams get jinxed. its amazing how many edges go just wide of slip, how many wild slogs fall in between the fielders and how many catches get put down when he bats. personally i dont see how long someone can go on playing like this because IMO teams will definetly figure out a way to bowl to him and he is gonna have a hard time in the future particularly on pitches that offer a bit of movement

Raj123

U19 Debutant
what the hell was dravid thinking..........

sachin......."Obviously, I'm a little disappointed, having got so close. I was aware that the declaration was just around the corner, but when it came, I was taken by surprise. The plan was to put them in for an hour or so. We were playing very positively at the time … a run-rate of four-an-over is very good in Test cricket. But when Yuvraj got out, I saw Rahul [Dravid] calling us in. "......."Once a decision is taken, there's not much point talking about it. "

http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat.../2004/MAR/110573_PAKIND2003-04_29MAR2004.html

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
2 overs and a doule century for Tendulkar wouldnt make that much of a difference.. talking of team declaration n all that sucks..

If Tenlkar was in the 180s, I could understand the declaration. At 194 and a placid pitch, it was the second stupidest cricket decision I have seen.. the first being the Ganguly decision not to impose the follow on in the 4th test in Australia..

Okay I am ------------ed at Ganguly.. he wants Yuvraj try opening I dont know why when we have players of the like of Gambhir and Ramesh in the ranks..

Bah Yuvraj will probably will get dropped in the next test.. or will it be the poor Chopra whose importance in wearing the new ball is so important..

And Dravid and Ganguly both made the decision together though Dravid was the captain. Bah.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
that would have made no difference to the game IMO.
It would ahve given India a better chance.. I wrote about it after it happened but any way the Aussies deserved the draw in that match.. pasts past..