• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

jcas0167

International Debutant
Except all three "had it" to begin with. Fulton doesn't.
In which case his age isn't the issue :cool: Although granted it doesn't help his chances. I didn't realise it was 5 years since Fulton last featured in an ODI. His record is better than I thought. I guess Jamie How was the back up at the previous World Cup. I think the ranking is something like this:

Guptill
Ryder
Latham
Devcich
Rutherford
Nicol
Kitchen
Redmond
Fulton
How
Flynn
Papps

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
If you want Peter Fulton and Daniel Flynn in your world cup plans, that's your call I guess. I'm quite happy with BJ Watling and Tom Latham.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't take either of them ahead of Latham or Watling, that's a given.

But I would take them ahead of Elliot, Devcich and Rutherford, who each seem to be next in line.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah Elliott's a much better one day player than Fulton and Flynn.

Fulton was block or bash at the best of times, even when he was having some vague ODI success, and he's now much more that sort of player in general. All his ODI contributions essentially came in situations where he was given a license to target the fence. He's really not cut out for it anymore if he ever was.

Flynn's even worse at one day cricket; hasn't managed to average 35 in a List A season since 2007-08 and has a truly awful international record in the format. Like Fulton, a poor rotator of the strike, but also someone who has struggled to put bad balls away with regularity in international cricket.

Elliott's really under-rated as a one day cricketer. He's a very "old school" one day player in that he's a middle overs nurdler with the bat and an innocuous even if accurate medium pacer with the ball, two roles that have become phased out to some extent, but he's really good at what he does. I've written him off as a player a few times and he keeps coming back and proving me wrong. I think Watling can cover this role better than Elliott now and Watling also offers a genuine keeping option so I'd not pick Elliott in my World Cup squad, but I'd certainly pick him before I picked Fulton or Flynn. I really think the latter two would struggle to make my New Zealand Third XI in one day cricket; being better than Devcich and Rutherford doesn't say all that much regardless of what the selectors think.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
In which case his age isn't the issue :cool: Although granted it doesn't help his chances. I didn't realise it was 5 years since Fulton last featured in an ODI. His record is better than I thought. I guess Jamie How was the back up at the previous World Cup. I think the ranking is something like this:

Guptill
Ryder
Latham
Devcich
Rutherford
Nicol
Kitchen
Redmond
Fulton
How
Flynn
Papps
Are you talking about five years ago? Or now? For mine it'd be

Watling
Latham
Elliott
Papps
How
Kitchen
de Boorder
Broom
Flynn
Fulton
Devcich
Rutherford
Nicol

Added some worthy names. Removed currently playing.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I agree with the rest of the post but this is wrong. He was a consistent contributor in 2006/2007 at any time and batting in any position.
My memory of Fulton ODI contributions was in games like this where he basically come in and targeted short boundaries. I think he was largely too slow when he tried to bat "properly" due to his inability to rotate the strike, and if anything he's now much more like that as a player than he was then.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Are you talking about five years ago? Or now? .
Now. Also, that wasn't my list - that was how I think the selectors have the openers ranked. :)

I see I left out Broom. He would probably be running close with Devcich.

Elliott's really under-rated as a one day cricketer.
Agree with this - he's particularly good on bouncier tracks (see performances in South Africa & Australia). Seems quite a smart player.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He was also wrong about Fulton's Ford Trophy average I think.
Actually yeah I was; I went and looked at this and immediately checked the second most recent season, not accounting for the fact that this season wouldn't be listed as he hasn't played any games.

Still, it's not exactly a pretty looking recent record in a pretty high scoring competition.

Flem274*

123/5
My memory of Fulton ODI contributions was in games like this where he basically come in and targeted short boundaries. I think he was largely too slow when he tried to bat "properly" due to his inability to rotate the strike, and if anything he's now much more like that as a player than he was then.
I knew that would be your exact example. An anomaly imo. In the Commonwealth Bank Series and in the world cup (where he played as a make shift opener) he was a good anchor. Only struck at around 70-75 but he made consistent contributions. The secret was he was much better at rotating the strike. Never great or really all that good at it, but good enough to make his contributions valuable without screwing over the team.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Elliot has "proved you wrong" in the same way that Franklin occasionally proves everyone wrong. He inexplicably scores runs when everyone else has failed - usually against ****ty attacks, yet never really puts us into winning positions. There's a big difference between saving NZ's face in a collapse, and actually building an innings to launch from. There's virtually no decision making you have to do in the former. The role is clear. You're not going to pick apart bowlers or put pressure on the opposition captain or lift the run rate at certain stages the way that real numbers 3 and 4 do.

The blueprint is that we have Taylor and Williamson to build us through the middle overs, but the only person in NZ even slightly capable of doing that job to the degree that they do it is Watling. There's literally no point in batting the way they bat if you can't do it as well as they do.

Asking Elliot to perform that role is asking way too much of him. He's nowhere near that good. If Taylor or Williamson go down, we have to completely re-think the game plan. If Elliot tried to do what they did he'd fail miserably and put pressure on the other guy.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just saw that Dhoni said the pacers weren't using their brains. I hate this man, absolutely loathe him. When Ishant was in the team and bowled one of the worst, and most utterly brainless death overs I've ever seen and lost the match single handedly, he came out and said Ishant shouldn't be judged on one or two bad matches. Now when Ishant is finally gone he seems to have no patience anymore? Wtf! I seriously think someone should check their background and make sure they're not related. My bet's on Ishant being his long lost brother who got none of his looks or talent and was given away by the parents.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just saw that Dhoni said the pacers weren't using their brains. I hate this man, absolutely loathe him. When Ishant was in the team and bowled one of the worst, and most utterly brainless death overs I've ever seen and lost the match single handedly, he came out and said Ishant shouldn't be judged on one or two bad matches. Now when Ishant is finally gone he seems to have no patience anymore? Wtf! I seriously think someone should check their background and make sure they're not related. My bet's on Ishant being his long lost brother who got none of his looks or talent and was given away by the parents.
Yeah I said the same thing earlier:

It might just be me but it always seems like he makes scathing, honest and truthful comments about the standard of your bowling when Ishant isn't playing, but then when Ishant is playing he makes comments about the fans and selectors needing to have faith in a settled side and back individuals.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah, Dhoni's unhealthy obsession with Ishant is mind boggling

Flem274*

123/5
"It would be lovely. When we set out for this series, just a win would have been fantastic, but the way we have played in this series, to be as consistent as we have been, 4-0 will be a fantastic result."
Nathan McCullum says New Zealand have eyes set on extending India's winless streak
FMD aiming high aren't we?

Stop being little 70s New Zealand ****s. You have the players to be better than that.