• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

shankar

International Debutant
I haven't yet watched the highlights of play and was obviously at the ground and didn't have a radio so couldn't hear the commentators.

Anyone know their views regarding:
a) Johnson over Tait
b) Harbhajan playing
Lack of a third seamer did hurt India a bit. Sreesanth would have been useful. But towards the end Harbhajan got a few to bounce and turn, so he might prove useful in the second innings and justify the decision.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You need to get your eyes checked if it took you 4 replays to see that he'd hit the ball.This wasn't any small nick; it was HUGE. I and everybody in the commentary box knew he touched it the moment they saw the first replay. This was an easy decision Benson BLEW.

Exactly. Umpire's howler could prove to be a HUGE difference down the road. What a pity that will be. India got ****ed by the umpires the last time down here. I can only hope that isn't the case this time around too!
calm down, mate.

It is only one bad decision. The umpiring has been pretty top notch otherwise.

And anyone else thinks that Bowden decision when Jacques padded up was TOP NOTCH??? Thought it was plumb at first sight and felt many umpires would have probably given that out, but on hindsight, a really great decision.....

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Could be, but I think a third seamer would have helped out today.
Harbhajan bowled 20 overs giving a run rate of just 3. That is excellent against the Aussies who usually go for a higher run rate. It also meant that the run rate for the day was pegged to under 4 an over. Don't know how much better Pathan could have done compared to Harbhajan on this wicket which doesn't offer much to the pacers. The swing is there but Pathan swinging it is vastly different from Zaheer swinging it, pitching it and bowling gun. It is a gutsy move to go ahead with Harbhajan. I wanted it but didn't expect it coming. It has impressed me even more about Kumble. You need 20 wickets in the end and on this pitch, Pathan might not have been a huge factor while Harbhajan can in the second inning. He is not bad with a fairly new ball either because of the bounce he extracts. This is why Kumble went with Harbhajan before himself. Harbhajan can also bowl you the overs which a pace bowler cant when the going gets tough. Playing Harbhajan is some thing only a brave captain can do and it shows that your team is out there to win the game first up too. I can understand the case for Pathan but the case for Harbhajan is stronger imo despite it being a tad out of the ordinary route. On a pitch assisting fast bowlers more, one could tilt towards Pathan though going the customary three seamer route which becomes essential rather than a luxury on those kinds of pitches. There is a case for Harbhajan even on the bouncier pitches though.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harbi got better as the day went on and although I'm not sure if everything has clicked for him yet or will for the second innings, there are signs he'll be very tough to play in the context of the rest of the series. His confidence probably depends on how well he bowls in the second innings of the current Test but post-lunch, he bowled some really good stuff.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I thought Harbajan bowled quite well.

No point picking a 3rd seamer just for the sake of it.

When he was bowling in tandem with Kumble, with Hogg and Johnson at the crease he looked like getting a wicket.

I don't see him getting many of the top 5 in the order out all that often though.

tooextracool

International Coach
Just watched the highlights on YouTube. Did Ponting miss a straight one? Hard to tell on the clip.
Hit the seam and moved away. Quite some delivery IMO, very similar to the delivery that Akram bowled Allan Lamb with in the 92 world cup. You could tell from Ponting's reaction, he took a look at the pitch wondering where that came from. Zaheer is one bowler who's managed to make me reassess my opinion of him since the series in England. He was quite unlucky in the morning session despite bowling some remarkable deliveries. My only qualm about him, which has always been the case tbh, is that his action will probably always make him relatively inaccurate, and while hes quite likely to take 5 wicket hauls, hes also likely to leak a fair few runs in the process.

tooextracool

International Coach
Harbi got better as the day went on and although I'm not sure if everything has clicked for him yet or will for the second innings, there are signs he'll be very tough to play in the context of the rest of the series. His confidence probably depends on how well he bowls in the second innings of the current Test but post-lunch, he bowled some really good stuff.
There was quite a bit of turn in that wicket for a first day pitch. Kumble's googly that dismissed Jacques turned a long way. I expect this pitch to be a nightmare to bat on batting last, but then again i dont expect Hogg to be able to take advantage of these conditions.

tooextracool

International Coach
Could be, but I think a third seamer would have helped out today.
Really? despite the fact that the pitch is already starting to take turn? I can see Harbhajan and Kumble being a nightmare to play in the 2nd innings. While i dont know much about Pankaj Singh or Ishant Sharma, my views on Irfan are well known in that i dont think of him as being anything other than very very ordinary.

tooextracool

International Coach
LOL @ Kumble

Commentator: Rahul Dravid will open the batting, won't he?
Kumble: Yes, he will.
Commentator: Is he happy doing it?
Kumble: He is. He has no choice.

:laugh:
I like this guy.
Cant see how that makes him a good captain. I respect Kumble a fair bit, but forcing someone whos clearly struggled opening and does not want to bat in that position is rather stupid.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Australians depsite losing 9 wickets posted a good total on the First days play. I feel the wicket is just starting to behave more bowler friendly and the pace of Lee and Johnson will not be easy for Indian batsman to play. Hayden's words at the end of the match are very much encouraging for Aussie bowlers. Hayden's understanding of the pitch might be right and we could see wicket to play the same. Australians still have some edge and they can be really danger if their last pair stay on the wicket for another 10 overs tomorrow.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Cant see how that makes him a good captain. I respect Kumble a fair bit, but forcing someone whos clearly struggled opening and does not want to bat in that position is rather stupid.
Didn't say it made him a good captain. But I like the attitude. Dravid is your best player, and he should bat where he is most comfortable.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with you but I dont think he has much choice there.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Didn't say it made him a good captain. But I like the attitude. Dravid is your best player, and he should bat where he is most comfortable.
I like Dravid to be called as best test player.. Yes you are right! He should bat where he is more comfortable...

True master class! D >>>>>>>>>R>>>>>>>>A>>>>>>>V>>>>>>>>>I>>>>>>>>>>>D