• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
You're clearly unaware that Ganguly has been India's best batsman for the last year or so then. You try to maximize those things.
And it's hardly a promotion. It's his incumbent position.

My point being if he's been whether or not he bat's at 4 or 6? as has been the case of late or anywhere in the middle order he's largely going to be facing the same sort of bowling, with the same batsmen in a relatively limited number of scenarios so it wont really make a collossal difference if India go
Laxman--->Tendulkar---> Ganguly---->Singh--->Dhoni for example instead of Laxman--->Ganguly---->Tendulkar---->Singh--->Dhoni to how their inninggs are going to pan out.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sachin's role in the Indian lineup is vastly different from his role in the mid-late 90s. Sachin is no longer the force he was back then, nor are his efforts this decade anywhere near comparable to those of Dravid at 3. Yet he seems to live a charmed life never having to relinquish his position based on his accomplishments from a previous decade.

Dravid may very well have the technique to succeed as an opener, but the problem is that he hasnt been able to do so and while that may be psychological, there is no reason to force him to do something which he clearly is not happy doing especially given his success at no 3 last time India toured here.
As I said earlier in the thread, his problems opening came in the late 1990s. The last time he opened in a series (against Pakistan in 2005/06(?)), he scored two hundreds and averaged over 65. Any psychological problems he had opening seemed to be gone in that series against Pakistan. And, to add to all this, his form in test cricket over the last twelve to eighteen months has not been great by any stretch of the imagination, and the argument that is India's best player and needs protection is looking thinner by the day. He hasn't batted any better than Tendulkar in tests of late.

In 2007
Dravid - 585 runs in 9 tests @ 39.00 (1 century, 3 half centuries)
Tendulkar - 699 runs in 8 tests @ 58.25 (2 centuries, 5 half centuries)

I'm quite excited about Dravid opening, actually. With the diminishing standard of genuine opening batsman around the world and Dravid's career growing a bit "tired" of late, I think this change could reinvigorate his career and see him become one of best two openers in the world.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Time nearing for 2nd day! Australia should get some extra runs from their last pair... Fingers crossed

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I did have to laugh at how people believe India dominated the day - the way the commentators were going on about it one would think Australia were all out for 160. 320-odd is still a pretty imposing score for the Indians. I guess it goes to show how much people expect Australia to be 3-350 by stumps.

sideshowtim

Banned
I did have to laugh at how people believe India dominated the day - the way the commentators were going on about it one would think Australia were all out for 160. 320-odd is still a pretty imposing score for the Indians. I guess it goes to show how much people expect Australia to be 3-350 by stumps.
I agree. 337 is nowhere near an embarassment...and even if India get, say, 500, the game is still not out of our reach. But hey, the commentators have the job of keeping people interested, and if people think India are well on top, it may mean a few thousand more in the ratings and a few thousand more as a bonus....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My point being if he's been whether or not he bat's at 4 or 6? as has been the case of late or anywhere in the middle order he's largely going to be facing the same sort of bowling, with the same batsmen in a relatively limited number of scenarios so it wont really make a collossal difference if India go
Laxman--->Tendulkar---> Ganguly---->Singh--->Dhoni for example instead of Laxman--->Ganguly---->Tendulkar---->Singh--->Dhoni to how their inninggs are going to pan out.
It's not about the type of bowling he faces. It's about the amount of time he bats. You want your most in-form batsman batting as many overs as possible. And considering that 1, 2 and 3 seem a bit too high for Ganguly, number 4 is ideal. And it's where HE wants to bat.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As far as first innings totals for Australia go, 337-9 is a damn good effort by India. Australia simply does not get bowled out in one day in Tests these days. India came very close and restricted well enough.

PS - Obviously there are exceptions to this rule.

sideshowtim

Banned
343 all out. Decent score, around par I'd say. We'll only know when India bat I suppose though...They haven't had a whole lot of time in the middle this tour so far.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
I agree. 337 is nowhere near an embarassment...and even if India get, say, 500, the game is still not out of our reach. But hey, the commentators have the job of keeping people interested, and if people think India are well on top, it may mean a few thousand more in the ratings and a few thousand more as a bonus....
Absolutely correct