• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We bowled some absolute rubbish over a two year period. It's possible it was inconsistency that made us look not so bad, we had periods where we went ok, followed by periods where we couldn't decide whether it was better to bowl short, leg-side, or half-volleys outside off. Often we'd just bowl a mix of them all.

Son Of Coco

The Indians should love Australia or leave in my opinion. Oh, and learn how to speak English for ****'s sake.

Happy Australia Day :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
We bowled some absolute rubbish over a two year period. It's possible it was inconsistency that made us look not so bad, we had periods where we went ok, followed by periods where we couldn't decide whether it was better to bowl short, leg-side, or half-volleys outside off. Often we'd just bowl a mix of them all.
Between the South Africa 09 series (new attack) and the 2010/11 Ashes, how many really bad bowling performances did we see from Australia? Lord's 2009 was initially shocking, but the bowlers recovered that one. I honestly can't recall too many others. Whereas every single defeat suffered by Australia in that period, as well as a couple of near misses, featured a rather epic batting collapse.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Between the South Africa 09 series (new attack) and the 2010/11 Ashes, how many really bad bowling performances did we see from Australia? Lord's 2009 was initially shocking, but the bowlers recovered that one. I honestly can't recall too many others. Whereas every single defeat suffered by Australia in that period, as well as a couple of near misses, featured a rather epic batting collapse.
No doubt. But it's a matter of consistency. You never knew what you'd get, pretty much until SL this year. That was the start of some consistent pressure building bowling. Siddle and Hilf have improved a lot, obviously, but they hunt as a pack much better now.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No doubt. But it's a matter of consistency. You never knew what you'd get, pretty much until SL this year. That was the start of some consistent pressure building bowling. Siddle and Hilf have improved a lot, obviously, but they hunt as a pack much better now.
Yeah, but the inconsistency swung from "brilliant" to "a bit pish but still get the job done."

Son Of Coco

There's a difference between being really bad and inconsistent. Brisbane in 2010 was pretty poor...we struggled to consistently bowl in the right areas game after game though. This is the key thing that has changed recently in my opinion. Put it in the right spots often enough and, amazingly, you'll get wickets. As a bowler myself, I found Australia's performance with the ball in the two years prior to this summer incredibly frustrating to watch.

And I'm not saying we didn't have problems with our batting, as we obviously did. But our batting being poor doesn't make the way we bowled ok. I'd say almost every single defeat during the same period featured inconsistent bowling that struggled to take wickets consistently. You're basically saying that if we get bowled out for 100 and then bowl a team out for 500 then bowling isn't the problem. It is, but so is our batting.

This is why we struggled to win matches over the last two years. Our batting still has some way to go now, but our bowling looks much, much better. The fact of the matter is our bowling has improved a lot in the last couple of months - we haven't just kept bowling the same **** we were before and all of a sudden we're bowling teams out and winning games. Why we weren't hitting the right areas before is anyone's guess.

adub

International Captain
Yeah, but the inconsistency swung from "brilliant" to "a bit pish but still get the job done."
We bowled without a plan, with a 'leader of the attack' for whom no plan other than '**** gets wickets' could be set with any confidence of being followed. No question that the batting was often terrible, but that doesn't forgive the utter brainlessness of our bowling much of the time.

The difference from pre-SL to now is stark. You can see where the bowlers are targeting, this is being supported by the fields set, and we're looking to shut down the scoring and attack the stumps and driving length consistently. As Burgey said we're hunting as a pack. Before each bowler looked like they were just running in and bowling a random ball with no relation to what they bowled last ball, or what's going on at the other end. (unless it was consistently short ****)