• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India and England in Australia ODI Tri-Series 2015

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Disagree PEWS.

I don't think it matters what language Rohit was using...........Warners comment crosses the line for mine. Has Davey been sledging them in Indian all summer so that they can understand him?

I do sometimes think the racism tag gets thrown around a little too liberally on occasion, and I'm not sure it applies in this case. But at best it was a very unintelligent, bogan comment.
lol no they don't.

If Rohit's having a go at Warner in a language other than English, then Warner's entitled to tell Rohit to speak English (what Warner is actually saying is "if you've got something to say to me, then have the guts to say it in a language I can understand*)

brockley

International Captain
I have sledged someone in German:D.He had no idea.
Now moving on good to see we made the finals already,chance to play a few other players.
I echo resting Warner and Smith,altho Smith will play the next game for sure.

Btw Bailey's batting has become a real liability,is he a swing bowler by chance.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This is a weird post hendrix.

Obviously if Warner has said "speak English" to Rohit in order to mock his accent then that's not on and he should cop some sort of punishment for that. I don't know why people are jumping to that conclusion though.

It seems far more likely to me that Rohit has decided to say something in another language to Warner as part of the spat (deliberately, so Warner couldn't understand) and Warner has felt that was cowardly and told him to speak English. If so, it's not racist, stupid or intolerant at all; it's just the standard crap we've seen all tour.
Perhaps, I didn't consider this.

Maybe I was projecting a little as I recently played a game in which an umpire how many balls were remaining and his team-mate called out in an accent and one of the players yelled out "speak English". Complete moron.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing about saying "speak English" is that it's an extremely stupid thing to say, like all racism I guess.

Indian English for those who spoke it in school is without a doubt more grammatically correct and "textbook" English than Australasian English. It's also phonetically more accurate; NZ and Aussies don't differentiate between "beer", "bare" and "bear", for example. Or "poor" and "pore". I have no doubt that Rohit Sharma's Indian accent is easier to understand for an American or an Englishman than David Warner's Aussie drawl.

Of course there are Indians for whom English was never a conversant language (Jadeja seems like one of those people), but then expecting them to speak English well is again extremely stupid. Of course he's not going to be good at English.
That's news to me!

Think I will try it out tonight by ordering a "bear" at the pub tonight and see what I get given

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
lol no they don't.

If Rohit's having a go at Warner in a language other than English, then Warner's entitled to tell Rohit to speak English (what Warner is actually saying is "if you've got something to say to me, then have the guts to say it in a language I can understand*)
But doesn't that smack of the typical arrogance that you see/hear so often from English speaking people that all foreigners should speak English?

Obviously Warner would know that Rohit speaks English perfectly well but I still don't see why Warner should feel it's his responsibility to speak in a second tongue for his benefit. Don't know what Sharmas response was but I'd like to think it was along the lines of "No ****, you make the effort and learn to speak Indian if you want to understand me.........but given you can't even master your own language I doubt that is possible for someone of your limited intellect"

Spark

Global Moderator
david warner being a complete pillock is news to no one, but the handwringing over this is getting to permanent eyeroll levels, especially with this idiotic fiction that we're on the verge of a fistfight.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It's not arrogance when someone is deliberately using a language they know you don't understand in an attempt to deliberately spite you.

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
Because he doesn't have the balls to say whatever he said in English.
As I have said I honestly don't think Rohit would have bothered making his point to Warner in Hindi he would have said it in English. But I don't think it's a case of having "balls" what if it was a player who can't speak English and he could only speak in his mother tongue then rather than that guy getting balls, shouldn't Warner learn Hindi if he wants to understand.

Spark

Global Moderator
the whole point about speaking in another language isn't whether the target understands it. it's that the umpire doesn't understand it, so you could say the most hideous **** imaginable and not get picked up on it, in theory.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway, look I don't think there is anything too malicious in this..........just Warner being a dick again. Certainly the call of racism is way OTT.........but I still think the comment was unnecessary and in bad taste. But that's just me.

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
the whole point about speaking in another language isn't whether the target understands it. it's that the umpire doesn't understand it, so you could say the most hideous **** imaginable and not get picked up on it, in theory.
Umpires travel a lot and they travel with umpires from other countries, I am pretty sure even if they can't speak foreign languages they have an idea as to what are the main swear words in each language. They would have heard most of them often enough!