• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I think Colly probably deserved it if you look at it objectively, but since when did I ever do that?

Athlai

Not Terrible
I reckon Sri Lanka would be near unbeatable at the current Centurion pitch, probably same with India. At Joburg though, I'm backing us to take them down.

Sri Lanka were badly over hyped by some members here, as soon as the pitch takes some of the edge off their spinners and you get an early wicket or two they come right down to earth. (Still a great lineup but a few members were saying they'd take it out easy and beat Eng and NZ easy).

So if NZ beat SL this group will come down to the wire.

SA vs. Eng and NZ vs. Eng would become quarter finals.

Athlai

Not Terrible
And also

FRANKLIN is coming!!!

Ryder
McCullum
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott
Broom
Franklin
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey
Bond

Attack of Bond-Mills-Tuffey-Franklin-Vettori = gun

Days of Grace

International Captain
The attack is only gun if Tuffey, Mills and Franklin can keep it tight and have the ability to bowl 130km/h + to assist Bond.

Flem274*

123/5
The attack is only gun if Tuffey, Mills and Franklin can keep it tight and have the ability to bowl 130km/h + to assist Bond.
You are acquainted (sic) with Mills is ODIs right? The guy can win us matches.

Tuffey a few years back around 03 was pretty darn nasty in ODIs too.

Franklin is the weak link, his economy rates can get a little high.

You haven't joined the "n33d farst b0wlaz" bunch have you DoG?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Franklin just got a 5fer on what seems like a pretty flat pitch, he's finally got his bowling form back on. Plus whenever he plays with Bond he always does well, he only gets taken apart when he leads our attack. Very good at probing the opposition when they find runs hard to get.

Plus hes the 5th bowling option and Franklin as your 5th option in ODI cricket is pretty ****ing mint.

James

Cricket Web Owner
To be fair, Franklin has always been awesome at any form of domestic cricket, but has unfortnately never been able to make the step up to international cricket.

Hope he can turn it around for us, but I wouldn't be expecting too much from him.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Never this good.

Franklin List A year by year
99 = 15 @ 7.50
00-01 = 113 @ 14.25
01-02 = 85 @ 14.17
02-03 = 67 @ 33.50 (5 NO)
03-04 = 210 @ 42 (4 NO)
04 = 9 @ 4.5
04-05 = 290 @ 32.22
05-06 = 245 @ 16.33 (4 NO)
06 = 2-9 @ 41.80 (4 NO)
06-07 = 287 @ 28.7 (9 NO)
08-09 = 306 @ 51 (1 NO)
09 = 447 @ 40.63 (1 NO)

Since his injury 6 50s in 19 innings with only 2 NO, 753 runs and a great average. Prior to that.... 8-9 years of 5 50s and 1530 runs. In one year he has scored a third of his List A runs. 103 innings made 1530 and 19 made 753. Really really need to reassess James Franklin as a batsman.

Bowling less spectacular but averaging in England 13 @ 28.84 isn't that bad. Yet he wasn't bowling full strength the whole way through it either.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Add to that the 1769 FC runs @ 55.28 he has put on the board in this last year including 6 centuries and 8 half centuries. The rest of his FC career only saw 3 centuries and 14 50s.
38 innings - 6 100s (15.7%) 8 50s (21.1%) 14 50+ (36.8%)
vs.
131 innings - 3 100s (2.3%) 14 50s (10.7%) 17 50+ (13.0%)

Oram has overall...
136 innings - 8 100s (5.9%) 18 50s (13.2%) 26 50+ (19.1%)
3992 @ 33.83
Franklin has overall...
169 innings - 9 100s (5.3%) 22 50s (13%) 31 50+ (18.3%)
4875 @ 33.85

One is improving with the bat and started genuinely as a bowler, the other is stagnating with the bat. I know who I want in both forms of the game.

Last edited:

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
I reckon Sri Lanka would be near unbeatable at the current Centurion pitch, probably same with India. At Joburg though, I'm backing us to take them down.

Sri Lanka were badly over hyped by some members here, as soon as the pitch takes some of the edge off their spinners and you get an early wicket or two they come right down to earth. (Still a great lineup but a few members were saying they'd take it out easy and beat Eng and NZ easy).

So if NZ beat SL this group will come down to the wire.

SA vs. Eng and NZ vs. Eng would become quarter finals.
i 'm not from those members

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yay, Franky Franklin!

I got the impression they still think Oram is a chance to be fit so I guess we'll see what happens. Franklin's lower order hitting was exactly what was required in the match against South Africa once we were 5 down. Though if he plays I can really see Dilshan taking a liking to his bowling.

The batting is still soft in the lower middle order but immeasurably better than having ****kins there.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This group always looked like being interesting (a lot more interesting than Group A with 3 teams) so it's awesome that England beat Sri Lanka, for interest sake. Really couldn't pick who will qualify from this group now, but funnily enough England are the only team that can afford to lose a match.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This group always looked like being interesting (a lot more interesting than Group A with 3 teams) so it's awesome that England beat Sri Lanka, for interest sake. Really couldn't pick who will qualify from this group now, but funnily enough England are the only team that can afford to lose a match.
Well they could still go out losing one match, this would involve NZ being the whipping boys and the other teams beating each other resulting in 3 teams on 2 wins. If England beat SA they're definitely through.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
As far as I know, Oram has been sent back home and Franklin has taken his spot in the squad.
Ok, that clears that up then. Although I'm chuffed that Franky Frank is there (just because) I'm sure we will miss Oram's bowling. Will be crossing all fingers and toes if Franklin is bowling in any sort of pressure situation. Have some confidence in his batting though.

Edit: I probably shouldn't refer to a certain player like that - it's the selectors fault, not his. But that particular selection and this flawed approach to constructing the team has ****ed me off more than any other in recent memory.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well they could still go out losing one match, this would involve NZ being the whipping boys and the other teams beating each other resulting in 3 teams on 2 wins. If England beat SA they're definitely through.
Thought briefly of that idea and found it very unpalatable! :puke: Don't have a great deal of confidence in us beating SL so that part possible, but England beating SA seems less likely.

Likewise if lightning struck three times and England were undefeated :huh:, and NZ beat Sri Lanka, then one of SA, NZ & SL would go through with only one measly win.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well they could still go out losing one match, this would involve NZ being the whipping boys and the other teams beating each other resulting in 3 teams on 2 wins. .
I see this as being the most likely scenario although the NZ game against England could be close.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I stick to my belief SL and SA will be through...............SA will beat Eng easily..........and SL will over run NZ.................