• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

Spark

Global Moderator
hows aus batting mate still think it’s not an issue? Top 4 struggling again got in and Nicked off let’s see how marnus goes
Yeah I still think conceding 600 runs in three and a half session equivalents is the biggest concern. Even if they make 400+, which they should have, we'd still be ****ed if this game went full length because that's just not Test standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gob

loterry1994

International Debutant
Yeah I still think conceding 600 runs in three and a half session equivalents is the biggest concern. Even if they make 400+, which they should have, we'd still be ****ed if this game went full length because that's just not Test standard.
there batting yesterday annoyed the hell out me as well. You had uzzy and smith for example got in faced decent amount of balls done some hard work then wood comes in like his first balls of his spells and takes the wicket it’s been the story all series . If they was 2-3 down they’re probably saving this test only thing saving them now is rain

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ermahgaaad! Who will think of the children!?

Jonny giving himself a wristy here. Especially as we all know he's had a fair few goes at it himself. If he could hit a barn door with a shovel, the shoe might be on the other foot.

As for the comments about giving him a break with his keeping. He took the job, and angled for it as far as I'm aware, so while it's evident his leg is possibly causing issues, it's not like they don't have another bloke who can actually catch waiting in the wings.

Hypocritical Wahhhhing

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
there batting yesterday annoyed the hell out me as well. You had uzzy and smith for example got in faced decent amount of balls done some hard work then wood comes in like his first balls of his spells and takes the wicket it’s been the story all series . If they was 2-3 down they’re probably saving this test only thing saving them now is rain
I didn't watch it tbh and was mostly expecting them to get rissoled, in Tests like these where you've been absolutely destroyed in the field the usual thing that happens after that is a massive collapse.

Spark

Global Moderator
As for the weather it does sound like the likely scenario now is that this game is done. I'm by no means an expert on weather models but when they're this stable for this long (it's basically the same forecast as we were getting a week ago) that usually means the forecast is quite reliable; the macro-level atmospheric dynamics must be pretty locked in.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
that’s all it is and as it’s Broad hated in Australia it’s not the done thing to praise him
As an Aussie, I don't really hate any pom cricketers (don't know them well enough either way) but I'm especially fond of Broad. Underrated cricketer and went up in my estimation (genuinely) after the "middled it to first slip, so pretend nothing happened and supply your best poker face" incident. One of the funnier moments in cricket that.

loterry1994

International Debutant
I didn't watch it tbh and was mostly expecting them to get rissoled, in Tests like these where you've been absolutely destroyed in the field the usual thing that happens after that is a massive collapse.
this pitch has had no demons at all though. Some these wickets were absolute nothing balls wasn’t much swing yesterday as well for England

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I imagine there's some epic AccuWeather vs. Met Office feuds in the realm of weather prediction guys.
Accuweather is a pretty ghoulish outfit. They’ve spent years using government data to make their business possible and repackaging it to the public for sale at a profit, whilst simultaneously lobbying for undermining the national weather service in various ways. Trump appointed the CE to the head of the US equivalent of the met office, and he proceeded to make all manner of minor regulatory changes to the profit of his company and the detriment of public weather forecasting services.

Woodster

International Captain
I’ve been listening to a few snippets of Bairstow's interview and press conferences last night hitting back at criticism over his performances by suggesting people have never asked how his ankle is and how difficult it is returning from such an injury. All of which I’m sure is true, it seemed a bad break and one that I’m sure does take some recovering from but it does raise the question whether that return to cricket or easing back into the game should be done in the heat of an Ashes battle?! I think pundits, reporters, etc, are entitled to question performances without giving too much leeway to the fact someone is carrying or returning from an injury lay-off, surely when you’re representing England in an Ashes contest it’s not unreasonable to expect that player to be fully fit?!

Ok, Stokes is continually carrying an injury but if his performance drops it’s never an excuse and he never expects a free ride because of it.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
As an Aussie, I don't really hate any pom cricketers (don't know them well enough either way) but I'm especially fond of Broad. Underrated cricketer and went up in my estimation (genuinely) after the "middled it to first slip, so pretend nothing happened and supply your best poker face" incident. One of the funnier moments in cricket that.
Admirable sentiments. I suppose I just feel morally obliged to point out that he actually middled it to the keeper, who redirected the ball to first slip. But your assessment of Broad is spot on.

Spark

Global Moderator
I’ve been listening to a few snippets of Bairstow's interview and press conferences last night hitting back at criticism over his performances by suggesting people have never asked how his ankle is and how difficult it is returning from such an injury. All of which I’m sure is true, it seemed a bad break and one that I’m sure does take some recovering from but it does raise the question whether that return to cricket or easing back into the game should be done in the heat of an Ashes battle?! I think pundits, reporters, etc, are entitled to question performances without giving too much leeway to the fact someone is carrying or returning from an injury lay-off, surely when you’re representing England in an Ashes contest it’s not unreasonable to expect that player to be fully fit?!

Ok, Stokes is continually carrying an injury but if his performance drops it’s never an excuse and he never expects a free ride because of it.
I really don't like Bairstow and stuff like this is why. He's absolutely awful at accepting legitimate criticism and has constantly across his career suggested that entirely fair commentary on his play is out of bounds, and seems to take it personally.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
2-1 into the oval would be a riot. that means the max would be a 2-2 which AUS will happily walk take considering the insipid performances of the past fortnight.
Not seeing why any Aussie would be happy with 2-2. A wash out draw here and a win at the Oval for 3-1 would be acceptable. Not like the pom t20 batting line up will do that again, even against our insipid "best in the world" pace attack. Just gotta hope we can overcome Woakes/Wood who are obvious quality for one match.

A lot hinges on the weather for the next couple of days of course.

Spark

Global Moderator
this pitch has had no demons at all though. Some these wickets were absolute nothing balls wasn’t much swing yesterday as well for England
Sure but at that point it's not about conditions but mentality. I've seen teams shot out in 40 overs in absolutely roads after getting hidings like that. I really expected to wake up to the game being all but over.

loterry1994

International Debutant

Got more respect for him now seems To grown a bigger set since the run out

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I really don't like Bairstow and stuff like this is why. He's absolutely awful at accepting legitimate criticism and has constantly across his career suggested that entirely fair commentary on his play is out of bounds, and seems to take it personally.
I think he is a nice enough lad but quite self-centered. But if this is what gets him to tick as an international cricketer and the England management are fine with it.... 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

loterry1994

International Debutant
Not seeing why any Aussie would be happy with 2-2. A wash out draw here and a win at the Oval for 3-1 would be acceptable. Not like the pom t20 batting line up will do that again, even against our insipid "best in the world" pace attack. Just gotta hope we can overcome Woakes/Wood who are obvious quality for one match.

A lot hinges on the weather for the next couple of days of course.
yeah No one here’s celebrating a tied series. The poms might have a parade though if that’s the case