• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

halba

International 12th Man
As for the weather it does sound like the likely scenario now is that this game is done. I'm by no means an expert on weather models but when they're this stable for this long (it's basically the same forecast as we were getting a week ago) that usually means the forecast is quite reliable; the macro-level atmospheric dynamics must be pretty locked in.
I checked the weather here, and scrolled all the time frames. the only time it is not raining is overnight or after the test finishes on day 5

The good news here, is that in 2027, the team will be totally different for AUS and hopefully a better captain and some depth in fast bowling or spin by then. need guys like Jhye, Morris, Sutherland to get fit. Bazball might still be there then, but good fast bowling is the cure for Bazball(if your an AUS or non ENG supporter)

And guys like Woakes, Wood, Anderson, Broad would be retired or close to retired(Woakes 34, Wood is 33, Broad 37). Anderson at 40, wont be playing then.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I’ve been listening to a few snippets of Bairstow's interview and press conferences last night hitting back at criticism over his performances by suggesting people have never asked how his ankle is and how difficult it is returning from such an injury. All of which I’m sure is true, it seemed a bad break and one that I’m sure does take some recovering from but it does raise the question whether that return to cricket or easing back into the game should be done in the heat of an Ashes battle?! I think pundits, reporters, etc, are entitled to question performances without giving too much leeway to the fact someone is carrying or returning from an injury lay-off, surely when you’re representing England in an Ashes contest it’s not unreasonable to expect that player to be fully fit?!

Ok, Stokes is continually carrying an injury but if his performance drops it’s never an excuse and he never expects a free ride because of it.
Yeah had the same thoughts on that interview too. If his surgeon his surprised he's even walking let alone playing top level sport.

You have to question McCullum and Key. Are you picking the best team? As clearly that was admission from Bairstow last night he's not been capable of doing the job to the best of his ability.

Also from a duty of care perspective, Jonny could have ended his career from jumping about as a keeper this series. Also how Stokes hasn't completely broken down this series too is a miracle. Whether he can ever be an all rounder again is a massive question.

Feel like the surgery he needs could put him out of action for a long time and so he's surely only a batsman here on out.

Woodster

International Captain
I really don't like Bairstow and stuff like this is why. He's absolutely awful at accepting legitimate criticism and has constantly across his career suggested that entirely fair commentary on his play is out of bounds, and seems to take it personally.
Yes he simply had take the criticism on the chin and for the highest level of cricket his wicket-keeping hasn’t been at the requisite standard regardless of any other factors and it has cost England at times. I don’t think people not understanding the extent of his injury is the problem it’s the end result which is what he does on the field where he’ll be judged.

Spark

Global Moderator
I checked the weather here, and scrolled all the time frames. the only time it is not raining is overnight or after the test finishes on day 5

The good news here, is that in 2027, the team will be totally different for AUS and hopefully a better captain and some depth in fast bowling by then.

Yeah looking at the UKMET model it's basically going to rain unbroken until 8pm Sunday. ECMWF isn't as grim but still very very rainy.

Edit: The latest GFS run is even more rainy if anything than the UKMET.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I really don't like Bairstow and stuff like this is why. He's absolutely awful at accepting legitimate criticism and has constantly across his career suggested that entirely fair commentary on his play is out of bounds, and seems to take it personally.
My natural inclination is to agree with you, and he's not dissimilar to his dad in that respect. But, speaking of whom, Jonny's experience of losing his dad the way he did and at the age he did must have left a mark on his personality. Obviously that doesn't excuse his performances behind the stumps in this series, but I try to be a bit forgiving when he gets chippy about any criticism.

halba

International 12th Man
Yeah looking at the UKMET model it's basically going to rain unbroken until 8pm Sunday. ECMWF isn't as grim but still very very rainy.

Edit: The latest GFS run is even more rainy if anything than the UKMET.
even a hint of a drizzle is enough for a cricket match to get called off- reason outfielders

Soccer/football can be played and ditto for rugby.

Aus can look forward to the PAK home summer- i dont see AUS being troubled in home summers with the kookaburra- that is pretty comfortable for them. Good bounce in the pitches. I would like to see them unleash Lance Morris, Jhye / Will Sutherland if fit, in the home summer- they really need to blood some of the younger quick bowlers for the future of the sport. Obviously, Boland would be a shoe in with the Kookaburra ball in the home pitches.

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ok I thought of one thing. The Bazball thing to do if it rains and there are only a few hours left would be to promise to declare the second innings at 0/0 if Australia erase the deficit, thereby tempting Australia to go for the win and take more risks. That would really #sendamessage to Australia.
They could of also just declared yesterday at lunch

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
Admirable sentiments. I suppose I just feel morally obliged to point out that he actually middled it to the keeper, who redirected the ball to first slip. But your assessment of Broad is spot on.
I'm not saying you're wrong, only that I interpreted it differently. After all if you ask twenty people about a traffic accident you're likely to get twenty different versions. The Umpire obviously saw no nick at all.

The way I saw it the ball lightly brushed the back of the keepers glove on the way to first slip (where it was always heading). Still the look of bewilderment on the Aussie players in contrast to Broad's deadpan made it pretty funny.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Ok I thought of one thing. The Bazball thing to do if it rains and there are only a few hours left would be to promise to declare the second innings at 0/0 if Australia erase the deficit, thereby tempting Australia to go for the win and take more risks. That would really #sendamessage to Australia.
It would also #sendamessage to the ICC anti-corruption unit.

Last edited:

loterry1994

International Debutant
They could of also just declared yesterday at lunch
they had to declare around that yesterday some the other Pom users on here didn’t agree. But another 90 minutes bowling Yesterday for them with like a 150 lead and that might have been enough to bowl them out yesterday. Stokes was too stuck in guys getting to milestones cause most of them scored a quick 30-40

Spark

Global Moderator
My natural inclination is to agree with you, and he's not dissimilar to his dad in that respect. But, speaking of whom, Jonny's experience of losing his dad the way he did and at the age he did must have left a mark on his personality. Obviously that doesn't excuse his performances behind the stumps in this series, but I try to be a bit forgiving when he gets chippy about any criticism.
This really isn't the first time he's behaved this way though, it's been a consistent theme through his whole career. That's why I'm not really giving him a pass just because of the injury, he really seems to hate criticism of any kind.

Spark

Global Moderator
they had to declare around that yesterday some the other Pom users on here didn’t agree. But another 90 minutes bowling Yesterday for them with like a 150 lead and that might have been enough to bowl them out yesterday. Stokes was too stuck in guys getting to milestones cause most of them scored a quick 30-40
I know forecasts can be fickle but this one seemed locked in and they really should have declared well before lunch. They couldn't realistically lose the game, so the only question was making sure they had enough time to take ten wickets.

Gob

International Coach
As for the weather it does sound like the likely scenario now is that this game is done. I'm by no means an expert on weather models but when they're this stable for this long (it's basically the same forecast as we were getting a week ago) that usually means the forecast is quite reliable; the macro-level atmospheric dynamics must be pretty locked in.
Now Sunday is looking worse than today

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
This really isn't the first time he's behaved this way though, it's been a consistent theme through his whole career. That's why I'm not really giving him a pass just because of the injury, he really seems to hate criticism of any kind.
Yes, I totally agree with that. I'm only suggesting that an 8 year old boy coming home to find his dad hanging in the family home having taken his own life is not going to become the most secure human being.

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ermahgaaad! Who will think of the children!?

Jonny giving himself a wristy here. Especially as we all know he's had a fair few goes at it himself. If he could hit a barn door with a shovel, the shoe might be on the other foot.

As for the comments about giving him a break with his keeping. He took the job, and angled for it as far as I'm aware, so while it's evident his leg is possibly causing issues, it's not like they don't have another bloke who can actually catch waiting in the wings.

Hypocritical Wahhhhing
Good, need more of this. Ashes are always better when the players hate each other

loterry1994

International Debutant
I know forecasts can be fickle but this one seemed locked in and they really should have declared well before lunch. They couldn't realistically lose the game, so the only question was making sure they had enough time to take ten wickets.
Was pretty much what I stated about it on day 2 England did not have to worry about batting Australia out of the game because they weren’t going to win anyway. They were not bowling England out again cause Aus would have had to of gotten a decent enough lead their 2nd innings but that wasn’t going to happen once England got above 100 lead. Like I said think England especially stokes got too caught up on milestones most their mid-lower order could of got hundreds at some Point they declared two hours too late

now they still might win this but if they don’t your looking back at how slow they batted the last hour on day 2 and the declaration

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
The poms are still likely to win this match if we get much play. The only thing that could stop them is the rain.

Though I thought they might have thrown the bat earlier and possibly put us in for a little stint before lunch. To try taking the possible inclement weather out of the equation. They might be 2-2 with an innings win under the belt if they did that. It's going to be funny if this is washed out.

Spark

Global Moderator
The poms are still likely to win this match if we get much play. The only thing that could stop them is the rain.

Though I thought they might have thrown the bat earlier and possibly put us in for a little stint before lunch. To try taking the possible inclement weather out of the equation. They might be 2-2 with an innings win under the belt if they did that. It's going to be funny if this is washed out.
The thing is though we probably aren't going to get any more play. Which was a possibility we all saw coming before the game even started.

Gob

International Coach
Yes, I totally agree with that. I'm only suggesting that an 8 year old boy coming home to find his dad hanging in the family home having taken his own life is not going to become the most secure human being.
Wow. Did not know