• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

halba

International 12th Man
good effort by aus to be only 4 down. No play today from the weather forecast.

Tomorrow may be one hour max play also- rain most of the day

đź‘Ť

A draw would be a *very* flattering result for the AUS team.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I have high hopes for this test thanks to the weather. Though rather than a washout the best possible outcome from here would be to get some play on Sunday and be 9 down at the end of it. Perhaps after England trap Hazlewood plumb in front in the last over but isn't given and they have no reviews left. :laugh:

The it's on to the Oval 2-1.
I was thinking this. Like I’d absolutely HATE it but would for some reason take it on the chin more than just two wiped out days.

Cardiff 09 felt worthy of celebrating, and obviously if it hadn’t rained Jimmy and Monty would have gone onto set a defendable total, but it was incredibly satisfying in a way that a whole rained out last day wouldn’t have been.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wood and woakes the absolute game changers this series without them don’t know if England win a test. They’ve got all the important wickets since they’ve been back.
Agree with this, they have had a huge impact. Along with the Lyon injury.

subshakerz

International Coach
Anyone who has watched this series knows who the better side has been and that may well have to be enough for England as rain will almost certainly mean the Aussies retain the Little Urn.
Australia is the better side playing below their level but England have been punching above their weight and in this test everything clicked.

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
Looks pretty safe to congratulate Australia on retaining the Ashes.

I don't know when the Ashes return to OT, but presumably not until 2031 at the earliest by which point it'll be 50 years and counting since England last beat Australia there.
Sorry can't do that because would be physically sick our own weather cost us Ashes

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Ok I thought of one thing. The Bazball thing to do if it rains and there are only a few hours left would be to promise to declare the second innings at 0/0 if Australia erase the deficit, thereby tempting Australia to go for the win and take more risks. That would really #sendamessage to Australia.

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
Ok I thought of one thing. The Bazball thing to do if it rains and there are only a few hours left would be to promise to declare the second innings at 0/0 if Australia erase the deficit, thereby tempting Australia to go for the win and take more risks. That would really #sendamessage to Australia.
Still not sure we could have knocked them over had we declared at lunch but will never know

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That’s fine . I’m absolutely amazed that a comparison can’t be made as comparisons are a big thing on here

that’s all it is and as it’s Broad hated in Australia it’s not the done thing to praise him

such a shame, as for annoying people, what does all the negativity about England do to fans of theirs ? And that’s accepted as good to do ?

Did the research and it’s not the flex you were hoping for. He averages less than Starc, Johnson, Lee and Cummins.
Played a **** ton of games though.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Cummins captaincy getting blasted all over the press with some already calling for him to resign. Hard to argue with that as I wanted to stop watching but couldn't look away from the train wreck.

I can't watch Aus bowl anymore though as I'm sick of the field settings. I remember before this series they said something like "we won't change for Bazball, we'll keep playing the way we have which won us the WTC championship". So much for that.

I finally lost it when Bairstow ran 3 singles in byes (that is last over ODI stuff). How did Carey jag the 'stumping' last time as his 3 throws at the stumps missed by a mile.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
I was thinking this. Like I’d absolutely HATE it but would for some reason take it on the chin more than just two wiped out days.

Cardiff 09 felt worthy of celebrating, and obviously if it hadn’t rained Jimmy and Monty would have gone onto set a defendable total, but it was incredibly satisfying in a way that a whole rained out last day wouldn’t have been.
Cricket seems full of such weirdness and eccentricities in so many ways, which in large part is why it's so enjoyable (to myself at least). I keep telling the wife that an Ashes series in England (and Wales in some instances) has more plot twists and provides more drama and far better entertainment that any soap opera you care to watch.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cummins captaincy getting blasted all over the press with some already calling for him to resign. Hard to argue with that as I wanted to stop watching but couldn't look away from the train wreck.

I can't watch Aus bowl anymore though as I'm sick of the field settings. I remember before this series they said something like "we won't change for Bazball, we'll keep playing the way we have which won us the WTC championship". So much for that.

I finally lost it when Bairstow ran 3 singles in byes (that is last over ODI stuff). How did Carey jag the 'stumping' last time as his 3 throws at the stumps missed by a mile.
Yeah, the bowling is hard to watch. It's obviously in part due to the pressure certain English bats put on in the last 2 games + nearly all of them in this game, but it still is hard viewing.

England getting Wood back and finally bringing in Woakes has also swung things in a big way.

Last edited: