• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
That Aleem Dar umpiring with the no ball was brilliant.

Revenge is a dish best served cold Ricky. :laugh:
Do we think he does that if Ponting had not already been in his grill? Id like to think yes but it is such a new thing that Im not 100% convinced he does. Was completely correct though.

Top man and great theatre

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought most people who saw both thought Tyson was quicker? However its generally given that he had the advantage of bowling 2 feet closer to the batsman.

As you said though, would have been a sight to behold.
Didn't Thommo largely offset that though by not letting the batsman see the ball until the last moment? I've always struggled with the logic of that but a number of people have said it - not that I can name one of the top of my head

Bun

Banned
Do we think he does that if Ponting had not already been in his grill? Id like to think yes but it is such a new thing that Im not 100% convinced he does. Was completely correct though.

Of late a common occurence. Happened to India twice this year.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Yeah he would have. Clarke was given not out on a referral for checking a front foot no ball onthe recent Indian tour.

It was good umpiring, plain and simple. If Dar lets what has gone on affect whether or not he refers a crucial teat match decision, he wouldn't be the umpire he is.

Spark

Global Moderator
Grandstand was saying it's happened four times, starting with that lolworthy Michael Clarke first-baller. Think they missed one though, Sreesanth to Paine in Bangalore.

Ruckus

International Captain
How many are declared though?
Hardly any of them, and the ones which are were mostly declared 7,8 or 9 down.

I find that kind of hard to believe though. I mean this looks like a pretty typical MCG wicket, and the batting conditions looks really very good. When Aus are put into bat they should be the same, if not better.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd hesitate before looking too closely into 3rd innings records. It's that kind of awkward innings that's neither here nor there - neither sets up the match initially or finishes it off. I'd say a lot of those are us going for a quick 250 on the board, wickets being irrelevant, to set up a 400+ chase.

Stapel

International Regular
What about this:

Ponting must go!

Now, that was about to come. Neither Ponting the batsman, nor Ponting the captain has much to offer the Aussies these days, imho. I must admit I haven't seen too many live footage, so I can't really comment on his field placement. Yet, I have never really regarded Punter as a great captain. It's a cliché, but he has been the captain of a great team, rather than a great captain.

The really interesting point is indeed that the obvious successor for the captaincy is even in worse form!

Ruckus

International Captain
I'd hesitate before looking too closely into 3rd innings records. It's that kind of awkward innings that's neither here nor there - neither sets up the match initially or finishes it off. I'd say a lot of those are us going for a quick 250 on the board, wickets being irrelevant, to set up a 400+ chase.
Possibly, but I have a bad feeling Swann is going to be the chief destroyer when we bat. Looked like there was a bit of dust starting to come off the surface later today.

Spark

Global Moderator
What about this:

Ponting must go!

Now, that was about to come. Neither Ponting the batsman, nor Ponting the captain has much to offer the Aussies these days, imho. I must admit I haven't seen too many live footage, so I can't really comment on his field placement. Yet, I have never really regarded Punter as a great captain. It's a cliché, but he has been the captain of a great team, rather than a great captain.

The really interesting point is indeed that the obvious successor for the captaincy is even in worse form!
Wouldn't have said so. Better, but not saying much.

Evermind

International Debutant
No way should Ponting be shown the door. Someone who has more international centuries than anyone else in the history of the country is the most likely one to score another, unless he himself is of the opinion that he can't do justice to his position in the team.

It's fine to talk about guys like Khawaja etc queuing up for spots in the team, but I can think of many others in the Australian lineup who need to go before Ponting does. What exactly are Hilfenhaus, Hughes and Smith doing in the first XI? They are doing as poorly as Ponting has, but at least he has proven himself in the past.

Echoes of mid-2000s Tendulkar here. Pretty sure Ponting's got it in him for a complete turnaround.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I thought most people who saw both thought Tyson was quicker? However its generally given that he had the advantage of bowling 2 feet closer to the batsman.

As you said though, would have been a sight to behold.
So what are we saying here that Tyson bowled 165kms according to the reports of his time. Or that he was about 160kms but seemed faster because of the different no ball law.