• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Headingley

0RI0N

State 12th Man
For Oz: Stuart C in for Hauritz.All seam attack
If Oz don't win at H'dingley,they will lose the Ashes.
5th Test will probably be a draw.
Just checked the scorecard at The Oval...scores of 593-5 vs 600 for 4.
Ramps 274.(46 FC centuries since 2002)

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
....Right its time AUS play 4-seamers. Hauritz has not disgracred himself in this series, but he hasn't improved the bowling attack. The only way i'd keep Haurtiz is IF Watson can bowl, which he ATM it really looks like he's becoming a batsman who can bowl a bit, since those 3 overs he bowled where disgraceful.

AUS need 4 STRONG bowling options, since lets be straight up with Bopara/Bell 3&4, AUS really should not be allowing ENG to score 350+ so often.

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin/Manou - injury precaution of course ATS
Lee
Johnson/Siddle
Clark
Hilfy

Johnson/Siddle - Who plays depends on if Haddin is fit. If Haddin is fit, drop Johnson because we can do without his lower order batting. If Haddin aint fit, i'd be willing to keep him since i like his heat in the 3rd test.

PS - Looking forward to the ODI set-up & T20, Watson's lack of bowling really affects the balance of those teams as well. Damn yo

ENG are pretty safe dont expect any chances, until the 5th test when Harmo or Sibebottom will finally come in to replace Broad, sheesh..

pup11

International Coach
....Right its time AUS play 4-seamers. Hauritz has not disgracred himself in this series, but he hasn't improved the bowling attack. The only way i'd keep Haurtiz is IF Watson can bowl, which he ATM it really looks like he's becoming a batsman who can bowl a bit, since those 3 overs he bowled where disgraceful.

AUS need 4 STRONG bowling options, since lets be straight up with Bopara/Bell 3&4, AUS really should not be allowing ENG to score 350+ so often.

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Lee
Johnson/Siddle
Clark
Hilfy

Johnson/Siddle - Who plays depends on if Haddin is fit. If Haddin is fit, drop Johnson because we can do without his lower order batting. If Haddin aint fit, i'd be willing to keep him since i like his heat in the 3rd test.

PS - Looking forward to the ODI set-up & T20, Watson's lack of bowling really affects the balance of those teams as well. Damn yo

ENG are pretty safe dont expect any chances, until the 5th test when Harmo or Sibebottom will finally come in to replace Broad, sheesh..
We need to decide which three fast-bowlers we're gonna play at Headingley, and if we pick the right one's then there won't be any need to play with 4 seamers, and not to mention its something that's very likely to backfire considering the kind of flat and dry pitches we he have seen across UK this summer.

Hauritz bowled beautifully at Edgbaston, though he might just have one wicket to show for it, but his control and his variations of pace were excellent, and he is a must in for the rest of the series, as he provides Ponting with both variation and control.

pup11

International Coach
Any news on Haddin?
Though keeping the context of the series in mind, he should just use some injections to get his hand numb and get on with it at Headingley, but eventually it all depends on how serious his injury really is.

pasag

RTDAS
We've finally got a spin bowler bowling well after TWO years and you want to drop him? I wouldn't have selected him before the series and am on record being pretty harsh in relation to him but there's no logic in dropping Haurrie after the past three Tests. Should be given an AO if anything.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We've finally got a spin bowler bowling well after TWO years and you want to drop him? I wouldn't have selected him before the series and am on record being pretty harsh in relation to him but there's no logic in dropping Haurrie after the past three Tests. Should be given an AO if anything.
Yah, agreed. The thought was that he'd be a containing bowler but he's a genuine attacking option if the conditions are even slightly turning. He's doing his job and more, no reason to drop him and plenty to retain.

pup11

International Coach
Ponting says Australia have turned the corner

Interesting assessment this from Ponting, from where I look at it, we got bowled out pretty cheaply in the 1st innings,and then allowed England once again to post a 1st innings score of 350+ despite having them 168/5.

The batting effort in the 2nd innings showed a lot of resolve and determination, and probably Ponting thinks that it would lift the morale of the side and help them perform better in the next game, Ponting's words also indicate that they might go with an unchanged side into the next test.

Burgey

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Lee
Johnson/Siddle
Clark
Hilfy

You want to carry two 30+ y.o. quicks who are both coming off injury, one of whom hasn't bowled since hurting himself in a tour game? That's gutsy mate, but it's a product of them not calling for bowling cover when Lee first got injured.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Clark for Siddle the most likely change. I don't think there will be any other change apart from that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's no way, aussie, that they'll even think of dropping Johnson now, after he made significant improvements in this Test.

Siddle out is probably the only likely change (outside of Haddin, of course).

Burgey

There's no way, aussie, that they'll even think of dropping Johnson now, after he made significant improvements in this Test.

Siddle out is probably the only likely change (outside of Haddin, of course).
This. I wonder, if it's a raging green top, will they bring Ronnie in as well for Hauritz. Seems unlikely, but it may be an option.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
This. I wonder, if it's a raging green top, will they bring Ronnie in as well for Hauritz. Seems unlikely, but it may be an option.
In that live talk thing you get on Cricinfo at lunchtime, one of the journalists said he might not be available as his wife was going to give birth soon. Has there been anything official on that?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
You want to carry two 30+ y.o. quicks who are both coming off injury, one of whom hasn't bowled since hurting himself in a tour game? That's gutsy mate, but it's a product of them not calling for bowling cover when Lee first got injured.
Clark should have played since the first test. There is nothing wrong with him that i could see in that televised warm-up, just the foolish notion by Neilsen that "Clark can't play because he & Siddle are the same type of bowler" christttt.

Lee defiantely wont be 100% match it, his situation is just like McGrath in 05. But if he has no injury woes he has to play for me.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
We need to decide which three fast-bowlers we're gonna play at Headingley, and if we pick the right one's then there won't be any need to play with 4 seamers, and not to mention its something that's very likely to backfire considering the kind of flat and dry pitches we he have seen across UK this summer.
Why only 3?. Hilfenhaus is the only consistent bowler so far. Siddle has been dangerous but a bit too expensive compared to his efforts in SA to be a SOLID force in a 3-man pace attack & we all know about Johnson (although as i said i liked he effort in this test).

Plus if the pitches do get flat reverse swing will be a factor. Thus Lee & Hilfy will come into play, which will be more dangerous than Haurtiz.

Hauritz bowled beautifully at Edgbaston, though he might just have one wicket to show for it, but his control and his variations of pace were excellent, and he is a must in for the rest of the series, as he provides Ponting with both variation and control.
As i said he hasn't disgraced himself, but he aint by no means indespensable come on now. AUS surely ATS can gain more by picking 4 quicks, than persisting with Haurtiz for the remainding tests.