• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Happy for Cummins

Will end up an atg but has suffered a personal tragedy & looked a shadow of himself in India

Still a terrible tactician but will hopefully improve

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
An enthralling and entertaining Test. Both Australia and test cricket in general are the winners but England;s approach was the boost test cricket needed.
Looking at the individual players, I make the following observations:
AUSTRALIA
Usman Khawaja - the glue the held Australia's innings together. Proved beyond doubt that he is a class opener.
David Warner - obviously trying hard to extend his career but not the player he was. Still struggles in England.
Marnus Labuschagne - has had more than his share of luck in the past. It ran out in this test.
Steve Smith- never write off a true champion but looked a shadow of his usual dominant self.
Travis Head - an ideal number 5, solid and aggressive but England might have found a way to curtail his influence in the second dig.
Cameron Green - useful runs but appeared underbowled in the second innings. Does what is required of him. Top fieldsman.
Alex Carey - a wonderful match. Showed how a test class 'keeper batsman can influence a game.
Pat Cummins - a match winning contribution with bat and ball in both sides' second innings.
Nathan Lyon - as a bowler he provides extended relief for the quicks. Benefited from some rash shots but took vital mwickets.
Scott Boland - disappointed with the ball but a played an important nightwatchman's role.
Josh Hazlewood - obviously not 100% after a string of missed matches.

ENGLAND
Zak Crawley - has been vulnerable for a number of Tests. A useful first dig that will ensure he holds his spot - again.
Ben Duckett - one half of a mediocre opening pair. Terrible shot in the first dig.
Ollie Pope - England's top 3 don';t inspire confidence but copped a beauty in the second innings.
Joe Root - obvious class but might be overdoing the "bazball" (I hate that term) approach.
Harry Brook - an obvious talent and, like Head, is an ideal number 5.
Jonny Bairstow - an aggresive batsman but do his runs make up for his sloppy keeping? I think not.
Ben Stokes - his approach as captain contributed to a wonderful test. His knee obviously restricts his bowling putting too much on the rest of the attack.
Moeen Ali - hampered by injury and missed chances. Contributed useful runs but the jury is out.
Ollie Robinson - useful contributions with bat and ball without being outstanding.
Stuart Broad - the pick of England's bowlers with valuable top order wickets in both innings.
James Anderson - at 40 he struggled to return to form after an injury enforced break.

Possible changes:
Australia - Starc in for Boland or Hazelwood
England - Wood in for Anderson. Foakes should be keeping with Bairstow moving up the order to replace one of the incumbent top 3. The latter won't happen.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is why ending games on a weekday sucks. I went to bed and missed the end of a cracker.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Terrific match by Khawaja, he's really showing his class now. That's a good thing about being a batsman tbh, if you don't get it right earlier in your career you can always come good in your 30s and have some memorable contributions
Haven't you heard of Jimmy Anderson?

Shady Slim

International Coach
i will and should say - i’ve been as big a warner critic as almost anyone, maybe even the biggest, but those were crucial runs in the second dig and without them we probably lose.
perhaps it is sad when the mercurial davey dubya’s “contribution” to getting us a win in england is a thirty odd and that itself reflects decline but it’s more than smith and marn00s managed combined in both digs; credit.