• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

cnerd123

likes this
Didn't expect the new nut to be taken so soon. Neither would have Prior or Bell have either, I guess, which makes it a good call I suppose.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I don't really know what Bairstow has going for him. Flawed technique and hardly any runs. I know Compton's not averaging much more, but it's tougher opening than batting 6 and he's got a couple of centuries. If it's a straight choice I'd still take Compton but when you have to make Root open to accommodate Bairstow it's a complete no-brainer.
Compton also has the advantage in that he's already made runs against the Australians this summer. Failed to go on and make a big score, but scores of 79 and 81 look completely out of Bairstow's reach at the minute, he looks completely out of knick.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The transformation of Watson's bowling from over here four years ago to now is incredible.

Honestly I think he could make a match winning hundred here and in 18 months people will still be going on about how he makes pretty 30s etc.
Well, he did on this ground a couple years ago and people reverted back to the pretty 30s stereotype after a year of poor form, so I'd have to agree.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
TBH, I'm not sure Compo is, but I don't think he deserved to be dropped.

I wouldn't mind Mitchell, Chopra or Moeen getting a go, for later on.
I don't even know who Mitchell is, who does he play for?

Bairstow still. I reckon having him around the squad so he can work with the coaching staff is a good thing and he's got enough going for him despite his poor technique to be a serviceable first reserve. I just don't think he should be playing regular Test cricket just yet, especially when it means moving Root up to open.
I was more after a second reserve? I know the 6 current bats and everyone is talking about Compton to come in if someone gets dropped, but I was wondering really who Compton is fighting it out with from outside the current team. Grecian has given me 3 names.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TBH, I'm not sure Compo is, but I don't think he deserved to be dropped.

I wouldn't mind Mitchell, Chopra or Moeen getting a go, for later on.

Been a big Moeen fan for a long time. Not sure he would actually go well but would love to see it.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Compton also has the advantage in that he's already made runs against the Australians this summer. Failed to go on and make a big score, but scores of 79 and 81 look completely out of Bairstow's reach at the minute, he looks completely out of knick.
Bairstow will play the next test as they're back to back. After that unless he has a score i think he's gone. He isn't good enough that is evident but the selectors will not want to be seen to panic.

Unless its the bowlers though. Finn needs a 5fer or hes gone.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
James Taylor another option. Struggled in his first Test series, but still scoring heaps of runs in county cricket. 775 FC runs at 55.35 this season.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
There's something very Steyn-like about the way Pattinson bowls. Rushes to the crease, easy action, you can feel the pace on the ball as he bowls, and he gets it to move both ways as well.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Michael Carberry or Ravi Bopara
Carberry seems destined to be a one Test wonder IMO. I actually think Bopara would do a better job than Bairstow at 6 and his bowling would have been useful in the first innings too.

Woodster

International Captain
I don't personally have any concerns with Root being moved up to open as I think the management have clearly identified this is where he will bat long term so let's get him in there now. Maybe the timing is not perfect and Compo has been hard done to imo, but I firmly believe Root will have successes at the top as soon as this series.

I share the concern with Bairstow, he has played so little cricket, just as he did when he was thrown in against NZ, so it's not been totally fair on him of late, but despite a couple of exciting cameos I'm not sure he is ready for consistent Test cricket just yet.

So who could come in at six ? Ravi anyone ?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's something very Steyn-like about the way Pattinson bowls. Rushes to the crease, easy action, you can feel the pace on the ball as he bowls, and he gets it to move both ways as well.
Yeah, good observation

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Bell has played a couple of shots today where he's pulled the bat out at the last minute. It looks like a play and miss, but I'm pretty confident that they're leaves. After what Nasser showed before play today, it's a very good sign.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
I've developed such a strong man love for Ravi Bopara over the past year or so that i'd love to see him back in the squad despite his inevitable failures.

Although I don't agree with all the talk of dropping people left right and center after 3 days of the first test match. That's what used to happen in the 90's and early noughties and never worked did it? Australia are allowed to play well you know.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That bouncer just reminded me how easy it is to play short stuff on this pitch, how few short balls Australia have bowled and how many Finn gifted to Australia.