• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've always been a fan of Bairstow - he's got an excellent eye and seems to have the gift of time against even the most potent and classy of bowlers. Unfortunately though his technique is really poor. I'm not going to sugar-coat it by saying he "has a technical flaw" as if there's just one thing he needs to work on; the whole setup is outright poor against both pace and spin, short and full. Found out against the short ball by the West Indies, found out against the full ball by New Zealand and found out against spin by anyone who dare give it a tweak. I really don't think he should be playing Test cricket just yet, especially since England could probably get more out of Root this series if he was batting lower down.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Compton is clearly everyone's pick if someone gets dropped, but who would be your pick after him to bat at 6 and potentially come to Australia for the return leg?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Bell will never get a better chance to get rid of his 'bottler' tag than right now. It's a shame I have absolutely no confidence in him though.
Hard to disagree with that. A hundred here and he makes a mark on his career. But as you said, I dont think it will happen

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Which perhaps is fair enough given some of the crap that's been written and said before the series started.
Yeah, silver lining in this poor performance is how yet again the Sky commentators have been made to look like smug, uninformed fools. Botham in particular.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is one test. Can't say Compton is a better opener than Root from this evidence.

Bairstow at 6 is a huge worry though I will admit.
Yeah, but it's both points. Compo may well have failed, who knows, but why take Root from somewhere he was looking comfortable, for someone who doesn't. Makes no earthly sense.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It is one test. Can't say Compton is a better opener than Root from this evidence.

Bairstow at 6 is a huge worry though I will admit.
I don't really know what Bairstow has going for him. Flawed technique and hardly any runs. I know Compton's not averaging much more, but it's tougher opening than batting 6 and he's got a couple of centuries. If it's a straight choice I'd still take Compton but when you have to make Root open to accommodate Bairstow it's a complete no-brainer.

cnerd123

likes this
Agar bowling really nicely.

SLA around the wicket to the righties on a wearing wicket always tricky to keep out. Just needs to keep landing it around there on a length with nice revs and he's in the game. Wonder how Lyon would have gone in these conditions.

Pothas

Hard to disagree with that. A hundred here and he makes a mark on his career. But as you said, I dont think it will happen
Honestly I think he could make a match winning hundred here and in 18 months people will still be going on about how he makes pretty 30s etc.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Saying that, if Bell tons up and the tail contributes the same then England set 240 and I doubt that will be enough

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed, especially considering Root being sawn off in the second innings and getting an absolute gem in the first.

But we made this mess for ourselves by having Root and Compton both bat out of position in India.
Can hardly complain about that, it worked there pretty well.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly I think he could make a match winning hundred here and in 18 months people will still be going on about how he makes pretty 30s etc.
I don't think people talk about pretty 30s. They talk about scoring runs when everyone else is in low pressure situations.

grecian

Compton is clearly everyone's pick if someone gets dropped, but who would be your pick after him to bat at 6 and potentially come to Australia for the return leg?
TBH, I'm not sure Compo is, but I don't think he deserved to be dropped.

I wouldn't mind Mitchell, Chopra or Moeen getting a go, for later on.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bairstow still. I reckon having him around the squad so he can work with the coaching staff is a good thing and he's got enough going for him despite his poor technique to be a serviceable first reserve. I just don't think he should be playing regular Test cricket just yet, especially when it means moving Root up to open.