• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
TBH Haurtiz did alright for Australia in the time he played but I've never liked his demeanor, seems like a little bitch, but eh. & swapping these two really isn't going to do much, no spinner is going to win Australia a test match these days.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Got to feel for Hauritz, had a pretty good summer last summer, gets injured, comes back and doesn't do well in India and is bombed out. Seems to be carrying the can when he's more or less done what's been asked of him in the last 12 months.

Siddle in the squad is just lol. He's crap.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"A steady Test bowler has been replaced by a modest first-class operator."

Good summary by Cricinfo.

flibbertyjibber

Got to feel for Hauritz, had a pretty good summer last summer, gets injured, comes back and doesn't do well in India and is bombed out. Seems to be carrying the can when he's more or less done what's been asked of him in the last 12 months.

Siddle in the squad is just lol. He's crap.
AWTA

Feel that Hauritz has been **** on by Australia and Ponting in particular and you can't help feeling that the Warne/Ponting vendetta over the way Ponting has handled Hauritz might have contributed too.Ponting making a big "I am in charge" stance by going for Doherty.

As for Siddle if he is one of the best 4 pace bowlers Australia have they don't have much bowling as he wouldn't even have made our touring squad.Just bangs it in halfway down and gurns with his dodgy teeth.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also, isn't relying on Watson as a 4th seamer going to weaken the batting? I can't think of many occasions in Test cricket where I've seen him combine both aspects of his game into a genuinely all round performance. Was great with the ball against Pakistan in England, but was poor with the bat, was great with the bat in India but rarely bowled. From memory I think he bowled ok against West Indies, but I can't remember off the top of my head if he was combining that with good batting performances. His performances are almost schizophrenic.

flibbertyjibber

Very few allrounders perform well in both aspects of the game in the same match.That is why the odd performance from a guy like Flintoff stays in the memory banks as it so rare for a guy to do it with bat and ball.

Makes you appreciate just how good the likes of Imran and Botham actually were.

pup11

International Coach
Poor Hauritz, I thought he'd done okay. I'm really pleased to not see him playing, partly because I think it weakens the Aussie ability to rescue the innings if they start to collapse.

If they're picking Doherty to get KP out, maybe they will also drop Bollinger so Swann doesn't have such good footmarks to aim at.
Well the way KP bats against left arm spin, a couple of overs from Clarke too might have done the job!!
Though I doubt Hauritz's axing has anything to do with Doherty being a better spinner or anything, its just the selectors way of showing people that they are working hard to change the team's fortunes, and Hauritz's is the perfect scapegoat for that.
Coming back to the 1st test, can't figure out what exactly Smith is doing in the 13 man squad because atm he is neither good enough to bat in the top 6, nor is he good enough to play purely as a spinner.
I rate the lad very highly, but he should be developing his skills at the domestic level rather than carrying drinks around for the Australian team.
Now the 1st test is only a few days away and if history is anything to go by, Hilditch and co. might have few shockers up their sleeve.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Well the way KP bats against left arm spin, a couple of overs from Clarke too might have done the job!!
Though I doubt Hauritz's axing has anything to do with Doherty being a better spinner or anything, its just the selectors way of showing people that they are working hard to change the team's fortunes, and Hauritz's is the perfect scapegoat for that.
Coming back to the 1st test, can't figure out what exactly Smith is doing in the 13 man squad because atm he is neither good enough to bat in the top 6, nor is he good enough to play purely as a spinner.
I rate the lad very highly, but he should be developing his skills at the domestic level rather than carrying drinks around for the Australian team.
Now the 1st test is only a few days away and if history is anything to go by, Hilditch and co. might have few shockers up their sleeve.
The Australian selectors are very good at releasing the 12th and 13th man for any domestic duties during a Test match. I don't think Smith will be missing any games.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I was more saying North shouldn't be there at all, rather than who should be in his place. But, now you raise it, yeah I would rather have Smith.
The Australian selectors are very good at releasing the 12th and 13th man for any domestic duties during a Test match. I don't think Smith will be missing any games.
It might be tough fitting Smith, O'Keefe and Hauritz into the same NSW team especially if the pitch is similar to the one this past week!

I don't get the Siddle hate, he's returned from injury and performed quite well domestically while Hilfenhaus (who has almost the exact same Test record) has struggled.

Hilfy got good reviews for his performances in India, but he just isn't taking enough wickets..

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
AWTA

Feel that Hauritz has been **** on by Australia and Ponting in particular and you can't help feeling that the Warne/Ponting vendetta over the way Ponting has handled Hauritz might have contributed too.Ponting making a big "I am in charge" stance by going for Doherty.

As for Siddle if he is one of the best 4 pace bowlers Australia have they don't have much bowling as he wouldn't even have made our touring squad.Just bangs it in halfway down and gurns with his dodgy teeth.
:laugh:

Noble One

It might be tough fitting Smith, O'Keefe and Hauritz into the same NSW team especially if the pitch is similar to the one this past week!

I don't get the Siddle hate, he's returned from injury and performed quite well domestically while Hilfenhaus (who has almost the exact same Test record) has struggled.
Hilfy got good reviews for his performances in India, but he just isn't taking enough wickets..
I think many are rating Siddle based on his performances in the ODI's against Sri Lanka. Siddle has always been a poor limited overs bowler, and I have found his OD performances provide little form guide on how he is performing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think many are rating Siddle based on his performances in the ODI's against Sri Lanka. Siddle has always been a poor limited overs bowler, and I have found his OD performances provide little form guide on how he is performing.
Agreed.

I've always thought Siddle was a little over-rated myself, but after reading the comments on this forum in the last few days I think he's under-rated if anything. Excellent player to have in your backup ranks.

Noble One

After what has been a tough week for our Test players and the 'A' players, it is nice to cap things off with Johnson finding form with bat and ball. Johnson is so key to our Ashes fortunes. If Johnson plays well, then Australia should win back the urn. He is that critical.

I was at the MCG today (on Johnson's least impressive day of the Vics v WA game) and he was solid. He wasn't bowling deliveries that were missing the pitch, and he did appear preoccupied with bowling short-pitch deliveries, but his pace was spot on and I don't think Australia should have too many issues regarding his form going into the 1st Test.

treamcast34

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I have one issue at the minute. With everything going seamlessly for us, the media and public have not only heavily backed England but they've really run with sinking the boot into our opposition. I think I preferred when they were calling it a 50/50 contest and we were just able to go about our business. Oz are a proud mob with a proud sporting culture; there is going to be some fire in the belly come the opening day at the Gabba. I hope we don't float through unprepared for a fight.

Uppercut

It's really odd that they didn't even include Hauritz in the 'A' game if they weren't even planning on picking him in the 14. Such a lack of continuity in selection policy. Hauritz may not be notably better than Doherty but he's been growing really well into the role of Australia's first-choice spinner, the obligatory smashing in India aside. What's to be gained by not even having him around the squad? Usually I can see the reasoning behind their decisions but this just looks bad.

Spikey

Not content with ****ing up the Australian side, the selectors have also ****ed up the NSW side. We're gonna be trying to fit all of Hauritz, Smith and SOK in our next Shield match!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm not getting the Siddle hate. Anyone who doubts what the boy can do should look at his performance in the Headingley test last year. Presented with a seaming wicket he ripped it up.

I know Australian conditions are a very different beast, but, based on what I've seen of the two, I'd have to think very long and very hard if the choice was between him & Bollinger.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm not getting the Siddle hate. Anyone who doubts what the boy can do should look at his performance in the Headingley test last year. Presented with a seaming wicket he ripped it up.

I know Australian conditions are a very different beast, but, based on what I've seen of the two, I'd have to think very long and very hard if the choice was between him & Bollinger.
I'm not getting the hate either. He was damn good in India (2008) and South Africa too.

Incidentally, remember when this happened?