• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The game just drifted along when Hauritz was bowling, he's not going to strike fear into his opposition ever. Thought he fielded very well though.

Regarding KP, I would definitely have appealed when he played the ball down to near his feat and he picked it up and tossed it back to the bowler while being out of the crease. For mine that's appeal worthy as the ball wasn't dead and he had a chance of being run out if he somehow failed to get back into his crease. I know it's slightly anal, but rules are rules macca.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Woke up this morning to hear Geoffrey giving his opinion on KP's praise for Hauritz's bowing yesterday. "He's talking roobish, as if he's the second coming of Jim Laker. My Mum wouldn't have got out to him yesterday."
Boycott was laughing persistently when Haurtiz was bowling, tore him a new one. But then he tore into Paul Harris last summer and was made to eat humble pie when he turned up to Cape Town to see Harro run through the Australians.

But I would take what KP says about cricketers with a pinch of salt. According to him, Grant Rowley is a better batsman than him. :wacko:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Woke up this morning to hear Geoffrey giving his opinion on KP's praise for Hauritz's bowing yesterday. "He's talking roobish, as if he's the second coming of Jim Laker. My Mum wouldn't have got out to him yesterday."
*Moom.

I reckon KP did actually struggle a bit against Hauritz. Didn't seem to know whether to go forward or back against him. Certainly didn't attack him; tried a couple of big heaves but he totally b0rked them. That he was constantly trying to score off him with paddles to short fine suggests he was over-complicating the job a bit.

inbox24

International Debutant
Fully expecting Swann and Panesar to bog us down and slowly grind through us. Expect us to end up with probably 270-300. Hopefully Clarke can give them some stick though.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TBF, the ball that cracked him on his lid was a pretty awesome delivery, he would have played it very well had it not seamed in quite so much, he dropped his hands and swayed out the way nicely.
That was a terrible "shot" - he got very square on and got pinged for his troubles

Bopara's technical deficiencies are well documented and this innings was just a representation of those

As for those who say that "he did get 35 despite all that", let's face it, it was good luck rather than good batting, e.g. off the mark with a french-cut for 4 having already been hit 3 times on a dead slow track

Nothing I saw yesterday has changed my view that the jury is out on him as a top-order test batsman

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Any form of high-sugar food works to improve the shining quality of saliva - which in turn improves the quality of the ball, causing more swing (be it conventional or reverse) and improves the quality of cricket on show because as we all know, swing is an essential ingredient to high-quality cricket.
And presumably the sugar helps to weight the shiny side of the ball for reverse swing.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
At the risk of sounding patronising, I would urge all posters this Ashes series, to refrain from being so reactive to a single day's play. Someone is not ordinary if they have a bad day. For instance, I think Bopara and Johnson will warm into the Series, and improve as it goes along - how they went yesterday really means very little in terms of their overall Ashes 2009 contribution.
Very fair call - guilty as charged - but it's hard to help it, when you've been watching the first day of the Ashes against an unfamiliar side and you've been drinking a bit...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Could anyone inform me of the form of these players because I think they will be key to England's chances.
Swann: world's leading Test wicket taker in 2009. But knocking over suicidal West Indians may not be entirely representative.

Flintoff: hit 90-odd in a T20 game but otherwise no batting form. Bowling usually takes care of itself and is bowling quite fast apparently.

Monty: zero form. 6 first class wickets this season before he picked up 3 tailend wickets in the Lions game.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
At the risk of sounding patronising, I would urge all posters this Ashes series, to refrain from being so reactive to a single day's play. Someone is not ordinary if they have a bad day. For instance, I think Bopara and Johnson will warm into the Series, and improve as it goes along - how they went yesterday really means very little in terms of their overall Ashes 2009 contribution.
Word. Its has been a common trend on this site since Ashes 05 though.

I was shocked to see how much posted had been made yesteday, when i first opened this thread at the end of the days play.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't get the chance to post much last night, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable day of cricket. Siddle and Hilfenhaus both bowled pretty well, Hilf in particular was better than I expected. Siddle bowled a lot of bad deliveries but looked the most likely to take a wicket.

400 should be about par, given that batting should remain fairly easy for a while. Bit of swing around though, so a lot probably depends on how the England seamers bowl. The pitch really isn't turning enough that I'd expect Swann and Panesar to bowl Australia out for anything under 400 if they don't have very good support. There's a bit of turn of course but it's not going to be all that difficult to bat on until later in the match. Could be a chance for a big score if England don't bowl well.

Last edited:

chalky

International Debutant
Whoo hoo managed to get today & tomorrow off work, really pumped to watch the rest of the test probably a day behind averyone else in excitement terms.

Repeating what as been said by many people can't believe England sent in Anderson as night watchman ahead of Swann & Broad. Just stupid you have increased your chances of one of those players (who have the ability to score test match 50's) being stranded with Panesar. Can't seeany logic behind it at all.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Expecting the bowlers to dominate today. Australia's best method may be to go on the attack with the bat, which would suit Hughes.

Excited/worried. :)