• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

91Jmay

International Coach
Was the case for England, when we had the likes of CK opening and Bell at 3. In the end we can't carry on comparing ourselves to India, they have one of the all-time great ODI batting line-ups, they all score naturally quickly and average highly. We just don't have the players to do that.
No it really wasn't thats a complete myth. England might be the 2nd best ODI side in the world in England, but in the sub-continent/Windies we'd be behind India/Pakistan/Windies/Sri Lanka easily. Slow pitches where you need people who can clear the fence we would be totally unstuck. We luckily barely play any ODI cricket away from home so we don't get shown up.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No it really wasn't thats a complete myth. England might be the 2nd best ODI side in the world in England, but in the sub-continent/Windies we'd be behind India/Pakistan/Windies/Sri Lanka easily. Slow pitches where you need people who can clear the fence we would be totally unstuck. We luckily barely play any ODI cricket away from home so we don't get shown up.
I'm not sure what your saying is a myth, the fact we win more matches with Trott and Cook in our side than we did without?

I think most of Pakistans batting has a poorer strike-rate than our lot, so not really sure what your saying there. Didn't we crush them the last time we played them away?

Cabinet did a very detailed post about the weaknesses of most of these sides anyway.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Stop talking up CK, he's the reason Jos is leaving, he's on my bad list.
:(

30 isn't really brilliant is it? just more, Mustard, Solanki, Prior (played 42 matches in the top 3), Davies type stuff that meant we always seemed to struggle at the top.
Nah, it's not, but he also had the benefit of a guy averaging 45 above him and a guy averaging 50 below him. That was the time we could afford a basher at the top of the order who would come off one in every three. Besides Mustard and Prior didn't score as quickly as CK did (lower averages too) and I also thought Davies was harshly treated. Our top order starts were fine with Steve.

Yeah, it's lucky we don't play more in NZ, South Africa, the UAE and the West Indies. Otherwise our record would be much worse given how badly we were mauled last time we played ODI's in those places...

It's actually amazing how the odd bad series in India gives the impression that England are terrible at ODI's everywhere outside of England. It's not just in England and in India you know, there are other countries too.

Also, you talk about Pakistan and the Windies, but they just played an ODI series which is being investigated by the ICC because they were concerned at how slowly a lot of the guys were scoring. Having a whole lineup of block and slog merchants doesn't work, which is why Pakistan and the Windies were rubbish in the Champions Trophy.

grecian

Yeah, it's lucky we don't play more in NZ, South Africa, the UAE and the West Indies. Otherwise our record would be much worse given how badly we were mauled last time we played ODI's in those places...

It's actually amazing how the odd bad series in India gives the impression that England are terrible at ODI's everywhere outside of England. It's not just in England and in India you know, there are other countries too.

Also, you talk about Pakistan and the Windies, but they just played an ODI series which is being investigated by the ICC because they were concerned at how slowly a lot of the guys were scoring. Having a whole lineup of block and slog merchants doesn't work, which is why Pakistan and the Windies were rubbish in the Champions Trophy.
Yep, we're a bit obsessed with getting thrashed in India, should remember before Trott we were thrashed 5-0 there as well.

I actually agree about Davies, but in the end, we've got options up there now who are all scoring runs, at a decent rate, so time to move on.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Tbf, I don't think CK did a particularly bad job in his second stint as opener. Averaged around 30 at just over a run a ball, and for the most part was a decent foil to Cook and Trott either side of himself. Besides, we were never 30-3 with him, because Cook and Trott were still there. Think he was a slight #escapegoat of the 5-0 loss in India at the end of 2011 and also tarnished a tad in an attempt to re-galvanise KP's diminishing ODI career.

That being said, they certainly can't go back to him now. They already have the impossible task of trying to fit Cook, Bell, Trott, KP and Root into the top four.
30 is a terrible average when you're striking at 100.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Fully agree with Cabinet about block and slog merchants (although it's the reason I don't like Kieswetter).

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
30 is a terrible average when you're striking at 100.
Meh. I think you're expectations are too high because of a few modern ODI greats who manage to average 50 and still strike at above 90 (Kohli, de Villiers, Dhoni, Hussey)

Sanath Jayasuriya basically did the same role for Sri Lanka and averaged 32 striking at 92. You could argue it wasn't as high scoring an era or whatever, but one is argued as an ODI ATG while the other is terrible and got dropped after 15 games in the early stage of his career.

Agains, I stress that I don't actually think CK should currently be playing ODI cricket. I just think he was a bit harshly treated, especially when a guy like Bell had done much worse in his many more chances beforehand. Bell has won me over since though.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Why are we discussing Bedwetter in the thread for the last test?
Carberry is pushing for test selection through limited overs form so we started discussing whether he should play ODI's. I think :p

Besides, the test team pretty much picks itself, and the ODI leg is coming. Should probably start up the ODI thread and move these posts into it though.

Pothas

Yeah there is just so much more to talk about when it comes to the ODI side.

I agree with pretty much everything you have said about the England top order but Carberry has been scoring runs at a very high strike rate in list A cricket in the last couple of years and doing it with a very high average. I am not sure if he would be able to translate it to international level but with the amount of ODI games played I think we should have a look at how he goes before the World Cup. If he does well then you have a very tricky decision to make about who opens with Cook. Trott after his Champions Trophy performances is a certainty at 3.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Carberry is pushing for test selection through limited overs form so we started discussing whether he should play ODI's. I think :p

Besides, the test team pretty much picks itself, and the ODI leg is coming. Should probably start up the ODI thread and move these posts into it though.
You won't be able to do that until you inevitably become a mod.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah there is just so much more to talk about when it comes to the ODI side.

I agree with pretty much everything you have said about the England top order but Carberry has been scoring runs at a very high strike rate in list A cricket in the last couple of years and doing it with a very high average. I am not sure if he would be able to translate it to international level but with the amount of ODI games played I think we should have a look at how he goes before the World Cup. If he does well then you have a very tricky decision to make about who opens with Cook. Trott after his Champions Trophy performances is a certainty at 3.
There's still KP to deal with of course though. I have a feeling they're going to try and avoid some really tricky calls through resting all of KP, Trott and Cook at stages. Carberry will probably make the squad, but they'd probably have to rest Cook and KP, or Cook and Trott for him to get a game.

Personally, I'm not even that bothered about KP in ODI's anymore. Didn't shed a tear when he retired from the format last year and was only slightly disappointed when he was ruled out of the Champions Trophy. If I was a selector I'd probably give him the rest of the season off (rest the knee and calf) and give Carberry a chance by resting one of the top order for a few matches.

Pothas

Yeah the stupid thing about that whole KP thing is that him playing tests and twenty20 is pretty much ideal as far as I am concerned.