• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haven't visited redcafe for years but thought it would be funny to have a read this morning.

I now need a strong anti nausea tablet or something

grecian

Would be quite funny if Qatar bought United to see the fastest back-tracking in history amongst many of their fanbase.

grecian

I do wonder if Citeh's malaise continues, and with Chelsea and Liverpool being a mess, whether United and the Geordies (even possibly Spurs) are going to look at this season as a missed opportunity whilst they talk up their "progress". Arse are going to have a few slip-ups and there may not be anyone to take advantage.

Feels a bit Leicestery this, but Arsenal were conversely one of the disappointed chasers then.

duffer

I do wonder if Citeh's malaise continues, and with Chelsea and Liverpool being a mess, whether United and the Geordies (even possibly Spurs) are going to look at this season as a missed opportunity whilst they talk up their "progress". Arse are going to have a few slip-ups and there may not be anyone to take advantage.

Feels a bit Leicestery this, but Arsenal were conversely one of the disappointed chasers then.
We're on track for 90 + points though and have played great football most of our games. If we win it like this you can't say it's just because the other teams were crap imo

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Nah, Newcastle are miles ahead of where they'd want to be.

They might regret a few of the points they've thrown away with stupid draws come the end of the season but those points have been dropped because they don't have the required quality.

grecian

We're on track for 90 + points though and have played great football most of our games. If we win it like this you can't say it's just because the other teams were crap imo
I am just assuming that scream that hasn't been in contention for will slip up, and you need to have other teams put the pressure on when that happens, not sure it will, we will see.

grecian

Nah, Newcastle are miles ahead of where they'd want to be.

They might regret a few of the points they've thrown away with stupid draws come the end of the season but those points have been dropped because they don't have the required quality.
Yeah I suppose they have the money to continue to improve, but reackon for this year they might have just bought a couple of pieces of quality, and may have made the difference.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah I suppose they have the money to continue to improve, but reackon for this year they might have just bought a couple of pieces of quality, and may have made the difference.
To be fair they spent a fortune on Isak who got injured for a bit, and they're where City were 12 or so years ago where they need Champions League football to be able to attract that real quality.

Narrative wise I'd love Bellingham to end up there.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha we were never winning the league this year, this is no sort of missed opportunity at all. It's a dream turnaround from the dog days of Bruceball, which were less than 18 months ago don't forget.

Which makes 'progress' being in inverted commas even more insane. This is astronomical progress, far quicker than the most irritatingly optimistic, entitled Geordie could have hoped for.

grecian

Haha we were never winning the league this year, this is no sort of missed opportunity at all. It's a dream turnaround from the dog days of Bruceball, which were less than 18 months ago don't forget.

Which makes 'progress' being in inverted commas even more insane. This is astronomical progress, far quicker than the most irritatingly optimistic, entitled Geordie could have hoped for.
Okay, I probably think I'm wrong, but in the end if United have Qatari money, City get away with all this, and Liverpool get zillionaires, this might get seen as a missed opportunity, the inverted comments was a bit silly, but in the end you will want the Premier League sometimes and this might be the best chance.

I always think of little Timmy Henman in these circs, he got through to the quarter-finals at Wimbledon with Sampras knocked out, in 96, lost to Todd Martin and everyone said Oh well done young chap, huzzah. The fact is in his career afterwards he had a winning record over Martin, the guy who won the tournament he beat Next year at Wimbledon, it was actually his biggest chance, and if he'd won it he may have relaxed into it. Afterwards it was just relentless against the best grass court player of all time on Henman's best surface, and when he had a chance again he choked it, because of the relentless beatings.

Again it's progress but is it progression to what they actually want, or just progress to being 3rd or 4th which they've done before.

I've been at a quiz night tonight, had a few beers, we finished third, 5th last week, questions fell for us, but 2nd place is the only way you win something, who knows what the oppos will know next week and if the subjects will suit us. Genuinely what happened tonight by the way, not an appalling allegory and I told the ****ers it was Edward viii but they all said Edward vii, ****wits.

Jarquis

I probably think I'm wrong
Yeah, you are. Let's not lose sight of the fact they're 10 points back having played a game more.

Leicester's 81 was the second lowest points total to win the league this millennium (United have won it twice with 80). Arsenal and City are both still on pace to comfortably outstrip that. This isn't a case of teams falling over themselves to try and avoid winning the thing.

I mean, I don't think you could be any more wrong - of all the teams in the league, Newcastle have arguably the most opportunity for continued development, investment and improvement. Realistically if the league is as poor as you think it is; this is Bournemouth's best chance.

grecian

Yeah, you are. Let's not lose sight of the fact they're 10 points back having played a game more.

Leicester's 81 was the second lowest points total to win the league this millennium (United have won it twice with 80). Arsenal and City are both still on pace to comfortably outstrip that. This isn't a case of teams falling over themselves to try and avoid winning the thing.

I mean, I don't think you could be any more wrong - of all the teams in the league, Newcastle have arguably the most opportunity for continued development, investment and improvement. Realistically if the league is as poor as you think it is; this is Bournemouth's best chance.
again, I'm going on that Arsenal may well blow up and Citeh aren't really looking great, if they both carry on at their points tally I admit it's just an irrelevant talking point, maybe the first done on the internet. Not sure Bournemouth have ever made 80 points or even 60, seems a bit irrelevant.

I mean I just put newcastle amongst others, but hey-ho, I'm sure Eddie Howe will dominate football for a decade, and god or allah bless him.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

My point about your draws was more to do with getting Champions League football than winning a title.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Hasenhüttl would make a lot of sense given how many former RB Leipzig and Salzburg players are now at Leeds.
I want a Bielsa disciple. The real thing appears ro have burned his bridges.This 2016 style gang press Jesse Marsch was running may bloody a few top 6 noses occassionally, but there is a reason we have only won 4 times all season.

grecian

6 in a row. Unbelievable. Bound to end at Exeter on Valentines Day
Unfortunately for us, one incident has turned this season from being a fun ride with hopes of snatching a play-off place, to a depressing battle to stay up, but there ya go. I certainly won't defend him if he's found guilty, and despite him being clearly aroure best player this year, he can **** off as soon as his contracts up, if convicted.

Weird thing is we were quite delighted to keep him on transfer deadline day, and some other decent signings made me not miss losing two of my fave players Dieng and Jay, presumably because the manager didn't fancy them. but yeah a week is a long time in football, and it's despair now.