• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2020-21

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the lack of fans is having strange and intangible impacts, at all levels
It seems that way. Weird though because the vast majority of football is played with ~no fans and it doesn’t mean you get **** like this.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
I've seen a clip of the Lamela-Martial incident and unless there's something I've not seen, I've no idea how that's a red card.
In fairness I can see why it was a red card, what I don't get is how what he done was anything different to Lamela.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Yeah it has to have something to do with it.

Results in other leagues seem less weird though.
Do think its overplayed, the Villa result is an absolute freak of a result but the others mentioned I'd say are surprising but not jawdropping - wonder if there is a link between number of internationals playing in each side as you have players who haven't really had a proper break - there was lockdown but its not like you can have your regular pre-season as you would in a normal season. Might help the likes of West Ham not having fans with the bad blood towards the board but outside of isolated clubs think no fans is having some impact but not as much as has sometimes been made out.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah it has to have something to do with it.

Results in other leagues seem less weird though.
I've never seen us play quite like we did at home to Cheltenham. Since then it feels fairly normal though

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think the lack of fans is having strange and intangible impacts, at all levels
Yeah I think is definitely a thing. In any profession which involves live performances of some kind, you always get people who struggle to motivate themselves in situations when there isn't a big audience. I think without a crowd there's no way matches can't seem, to some extent anyway, like a glorified training game. Or not a training game necessarily, but perhaps just not like "the real deal", so to speak.

Days of Grace

International Captain
It’s the same for both teams, though, isn’t it?

You’d think the underdogs at home would be at a greater disadvantage because they haven’t got their fans spurring them on.

Uppercut

I think the weird results yesterday had their own causes.

West Ham winning at Leicester is mostly just because West Ham are very good at the moment.

Spurs have been on fire the past few games and United have been shocking, throw in an early red card and the scoreline makes sense.

The Liverpool game, what almost always happens is that the 'weaker' side starts off looking dangerous on the counter, goes 1 up, and stops attacking. Then the big team just throw everyone forward and it becomes attack vs defence. But this time Liverpool threw everyone forward and Villa just kept on countering. Maybe it's easier to stick to the plan like that when you don't have the pressure of a crowd. Throw in a few deflections and you get a hockey score.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I know twitter experts and the like will say that these guys are paid millions and shouldn't be impacted by a crowd. And I am sure for some it is true. But the difference it makes knowing a slight mistake will be groaned at by thousands is probably a pressure release. But the lack of being spurred on may reduce adrenaline. There's all sorts of factors.

I once had a Bromley player tell me to '**** off'. I sit front row, halfway line. First half he was playing left wing - in front of me, and our right back had him zipped up inside his pocket. Second half comes, and there he is on the right wing. There was a free kick or something right near me and he was stood there so I just said, 'did he switch you to this wing because Buxton had you on toast?' I've never seen a scowl quite like it and then he unleashed the verbals before walking off.

Now you'd expect most pros to be able to keep a cooler head. And most do, and you tend to have some good exchanges with opposition players sitting where I do and watching lower levels. But obviously what I said to him was true, so it bothered him. 99% of players wouldn't show it like he did, but they'd still hear it, it'd still play on their minds.

It's just all a bit empty at the moment, for me. Like, I've enjoyed watching the games except the Cheltenham horror show. I was made up we won on Saturday. But the feeling when the goals went in, just didn't compare to normality. And I know I go to more games than the average football fan, but it's not that. It doesn't feel the same as when we score in a game I'm not at in normal times. It's just...empty...

Oh and seeing as I've not mentioned it for a while, I'm also more perplexed by the day as to why we were relegated having been unable to complete the season, given this is going to be the norm for a good bit yet....never forget and never forgive...

Uppercut

I know twitter experts and the like will say that these guys are paid millions and shouldn't be impacted by a crowd. And I am sure for some it is true. But the difference it makes knowing a slight mistake will be groaned at by thousands is probably a pressure release. But the lack of being spurred on may reduce adrenaline. There's all sorts of factors.

I once had a Bromley player tell me to '**** off'. I sit front row, halfway line. First half he was playing left wing - in front of me, and our right back had him zipped up inside his pocket. Second half comes, and there he is on the right wing. There was a free kick or something right near me and he was stood there so I just said, 'did he switch you to this wing because Buxton had you on toast?' I've never seen a scowl quite like it and then he unleashed the verbals before walking off.

Now you'd expect most pros to be able to keep a cooler head. And most do, and you tend to have some good exchanges with opposition players sitting where I do and watching lower levels. But obviously what I said to him was true, so it bothered him. 99% of players wouldn't show it like he did, but they'd still hear it, it'd still play on their minds.

It's just all a bit empty at the moment, for me. Like, I've enjoyed watching the games except the Cheltenham horror show. I was made up we won on Saturday. But the feeling when the goals went in, just didn't compare to normality. And I know I go to more games than the average football fan, but it's not that. It doesn't feel the same as when we score in a game I'm not at in normal times. It's just...empty...

Oh and seeing as I've not mentioned it for a while, I'm also more perplexed by the day as to why we were relegated having been unable to complete the season, given this is going to be the norm for a good bit yet....never forget and never forgive...
You thought about going to some of the "non-elite" games where you're still allowed in?

Played a game in the middle of a UDA estate on Saturday against a fourth-tier side's reserves, and their firsts were playing on the next pitch with a good 500 or so spectators making a hell of a lot of noise. Nobody watching anything on TV is having half as good a time as they were. Below the level of football that's being ****ed over there's a level of football that's getting a bit more attention than it normally would.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You thought about going to some of the "non-elite" games where you're still allowed in?

Played a game in the middle of a UDA estate on Saturday against a fourth-tier side's reserves, and their firsts were playing on the next pitch with a good 500 or so spectators making a hell of a lot of noise. Nobody watching anything on TV is having half as good a time as they were. Below the level of football that's being ****ed over there's a level of football that's getting a bit more attention than it normally would.
Yeah I just can't bring myself to skip watching us on iFollow for it. I suspect I will get to a City of Liverpool or Witton Albion game at some point