• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Barmby would have been a decwnt enough option. Played on the left in the Sven days quite a bit and always did a serviceable job.
I'm guessing that Anderton was injured. Always a fair bet.
I remember Trevor Sinclair playing the WC two years later, but I couldn't say how he went in the 1999/2000 season beyond playing 36 games in the PL for West Ham.

EDIT
Turns out that Barmby was in the squad but not picked.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sinclair did a really decent job for England on the keft in 2002. Even more impressive given he was called up with little notice at the last minute as a replacement for Gerrard.

Always thought Darren Anderton was absolutely rubbish personally.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Sinclair did a really decent job for England on the keft in 2002. Even more impressive given he was called up with little notice at the last minute as a replacement for Gerrard.

Always thought Darren Anderton was absolutely rubbish personally.
:laugh:

I thought that Anderton had his moments in 1996 and 1998, but I wouldn't stake whatever's left of my reputation on it.
Anyway, his Achilles tendon kept him out of the 2000 euros.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought Anderton was useless too. I think he made his reputation when I was too young to notice, then by the late 90s and 2000s I had no idea why all the pundits were acting as if he was good.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Going purely from memory, which I acknowledge could be a little hazy now on some details, Darren Anderson's career went roughly:

Euro 1996: England 4 - 1 Netherlands. Glorious.

Late 1996 to date: Crocked.

It's enough for me to rate the guy.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Think he'd have had a great career if he wasn't so injury prone but they zapped his quality quite early on

flibbertyjibber

Redknapp was similar to Anderton, you knew there was a good player there but they never fulfilled the obvious potential as they were always injured.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I thought Anderton was useless too. I think he made his reputation when I was too young to notice, then by the late 90s and 2000s I had no idea why all the pundits were acting as if he was good.
I think Anderton had a couple of decent games around 1995 then spent the next 5 years injured so was one of those players who goes into his 30s with people still banging on about his potential.

See also: Wilshere, Jack.

Uppercut

I think Anderton had a couple of decent games around 1995 then spent the next 5 years injured so was one of those players who goes into his 30s with people still banging on about his potential.

See also: Wilshere, Jack.
Yeah I thought of Wilshere too. Also of the Torres situation, where a player’s physical ability declines in his mid-20s and for some reason most pundits assume their subsequent mediocrity has something to do with ‘confidence’.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
See also: Ashley, Mike.

Honestly, football clubs cutting the wages of all the people who work in the club shop, and backroom offices etc. whilst continuing to pay their players six figure salaries is pretty dire.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This is especially galling when you see examples from elsewhere, where major clubs (e.g. Barcelona) have players taking massive pay cuts precisely to ensure non-playing staff continue to get paid.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, poor form. Especially when compared to NBA team owners and players who are going the extra mile.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
See also: Ashley, Mike.

Honestly, football clubs cutting the wages of all the people who work in the club shop, and backroom offices etc. whilst continuing to pay their players six figure salaries is pretty dire.
Spurs pretty much stand alone amongst Premier League clubs in acting the ****.

It's ridiculous that they're relying on government support while paying the chief executive a £3m bonus.

cpr

International Coach
I think you could change the word Spurs for Newcastle in that sentence and nobody would bat an eyelid. There's really little in it in the football **** stakes (though Ashley has diversified somewhat into being a **** in our everyday lives too)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think you could change the word Spurs for Newcastle in that sentence and nobody would bat an eyelid. There's really little in it in the football **** stakes (though Ashley has diversified somewhat into being a **** in our everyday lives too)
I'm sure I read somewhere that Newcastle were paying staff until the end of April?

cpr

International Coach
Yeah I think Ashley has changed his tune a lot because of the massive ****storm he's been causing

They did automatically take everyone's season ticket payments for next year without any consultation mind, £600 flying out of peoples accounts the day after they've been laid off isn't a good look

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Looks like the approach to the ending the season problem is to put the season on ice, and just finish it whenever it becomes possible to do so, then.

Shouldn't have thought anyone would have too many problems with that.