• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The League 2 Play Offs are nothing to do with League 1 relegation. It’s 4 up 3 down. If there’s no Play Offs Cheltenham go up. The season either counts on the current league tables or it doesn’t and gets voided. Whatever is done someone will cry foul.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Honestly that proposal makes way more sense than the standard PPG method and seems a smarter strategy than pretending the season never existed.

Yes it's contrived, but all methods are if you can't restart the season.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly that proposal makes way more sense than the standard PPG method and seems a smarter strategy than pretending the season never existed.

Yes it's contrived, but all methods are if you can't restart the season.
PPG based on this season isn’t contrived at all. It fact based on what’s happened so far.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The League 2 Play Offs are nothing to do with League 1 relegation. It’s 4 up 3 down. If there’s no Play Offs Cheltenham go up. The season either counts on the current league tables or it doesn’t and gets voided. Whatever is done someone will cry foul.
The L2 play-offs are everything to do with it. If those play-offs don't happen, there has been no confirmation that Cheltenham go up and I'd suggest that is strongly open to legal challenge. There is no ruling that gives automatic promotion to a play-off side in the event of no play-offs.

It is clearly completely unfair to allow L2 teams to have play-offs for the last spot but we don't get the chance to fight for it. Nobody knows what would have happened but a look at form, history, fixtures remaining and our fit squad as of mid-March and you'd have been daft to bet on us going down.

If you end the season, then end it. No play-offs and you sacrifice that promotion place.

League 2 have also voted for no relegation so the cherry picking is quite considerable.

If the tables had been cut at the same stage last season, Wimbledon and Rochdale would have gone down, Plymouth finish midtable. Or if you want a more famous example, Leicester are never Premier League champions in a world where PPG is applied in 2015.

And if these clubs can't afford to finish the season behind closed doors then what's the rush to decide it, you think all of a sudden they are flushed with cash in August, September or whatever when next season starts behind closed doors?

There is no sporting defence for PPG unless in future we decide to draw the league fixtures. We'll take Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth & Coventry and our rivals can play Wimbledon, MK and Lincoln and we will all pretend it's a fair outcome because reasons

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Tranmere's solution is absolute bollocks, but straight PPG is an even bigger load of bollocks.

I have some time for the idea of whacking Tranmere in with the L2 playoffs. But I think my posts on this are at risk of becoming repetitive as I think all solutions that don't involve completing the season in full or canning it are inherently flawed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can the season, leave Liverpool on 18, invite Bury back, put Bolton on -12. In fact let's reset to whatever the last day was that James Norwood was a Tranmere player and this time maybe he'll sign

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
League 2 voted for no relegation but that was ruled out by the EFL. There’ll be no National League play offs so the top 2 will go up. Logically the same would apply for relegation from League 1. Harking back to previous seasons has no relevance. My own preference would have been to wait and play when it becomes possible, but the teams don’t want to. My reasoning is that there is no guarantee that next season will take place uninterrupted so what’s the point in rushing this season through. There is no answer to please everyone.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
The L2 play-offs are everything to do with it. If those play-offs don't happen, there has been no confirmation that Cheltenham go up and I'd suggest that is strongly open to legal challenge. There is no ruling that gives automatic promotion to a play-off side in the event of no play-offs.

It is clearly completely unfair to allow L2 teams to have play-offs for the last spot but we don't get the chance to fight for it. Nobody knows what would have happened but a look at form, history, fixtures remaining and our fit squad as of mid-March and you'd have been daft to bet on us going down.

If you end the season, then end it. No play-offs and you sacrifice that promotion place.

League 2 have also voted for no relegation so the cherry picking is quite considerable.

If the tables had been cut at the same stage last season, Wimbledon and Rochdale would have gone down, Plymouth finish midtable. Or if you want a more famous example, Leicester are never Premier League champions in a world where PPG is applied in 2015.

And if these clubs can't afford to finish the season behind closed doors then what's the rush to decide it, you think all of a sudden they are flushed with cash in August, September or whatever when next season starts behind closed doors?

There is no sporting defence for PPG unless in future we decide to draw the league fixtures. We'll take Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth & Coventry and our rivals can play Wimbledon, MK and Lincoln and we will all pretend it's a fair outcome because reasons
If the benevolence of Germany's football were in play maybe some consortium of flush with cash stakeholders could put together a slush fund for hard up Football clubs to cover the cost of closed door matches.

Alternatively the clubs who can't afford to host their matches play them at a neutral venue at a discounted cost? Just throwing out some ideas.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
League 2 voted for no relegation but that was ruled out by the EFL. There’ll be no National League play offs so the top 2 will go up. Logically the same would apply for relegation from League 1. Harking back to previous seasons has no relevance. My own preference would have been to wait and play when it becomes possible, but the teams don’t want to. My reasoning is that there is no guarantee that next season will take place uninterrupted so what’s the point in rushing this season through. There is no answer to please everyone.
Again I don't think that's confirmed about the top two going up?

The relevance of previous seasons is just to show what a crass measure ppg is.

Anyhow I agree with your preference and have the same thought process. All these teams who can't afford to play won't suddenly be able to when the situation hasn't changed down the line.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Could someone answer the following Questions for me.

1 - League 1 are going to make a decision on June 9th about the season finishing, but when will they tell the public?
2- How many teams are coming up from the National League into League 2.
3- Is it 100% guaranteed that there will be relegation at the bottom of league 2
4- If the play-offs can't be played due to the corona virus in League's 1 and 2, do Oxford and Exeter gain promotion as they are the next best teams in their divisions currently.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Could someone answer the following Questions for me.

1 - League 1 are going to make a decision on June 9th about the season finishing, but when will they tell the public?
2- How many teams are coming up from the National League into League 2.
3- Is it 100% guaranteed that there will be relegation at the bottom of league 2
4- If the play-offs can't be played due to the corona virus in League's 1 and 2, do Oxford and Exeter gain promotion as they are the next best teams in their divisions currently.
1. Presumably on the day, though I wouldn’t be surprised if things stall again.
2. The National League have left all promotion and relegation decisions unresolved awaiting the EFL. They said there’ll be no Play Offs, but it hasn’t been officially ratified. If one is being relegated two will go up to make up the 92 club which was reduced by Bury’s demise.
3. Nothing has been decided 100%.
4. Undecided. But it won’t be Exeter, it’ll be Cheltenham on PPG.

So, no I can’t answer your questions. :D

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
EFL clubs have "overwhelmingly" agreed to ratify the proposal that if the season doesn't finish the tables will be decided on PPG and promotion and relegation remains in place. It's assumed that Leagues 1 and 2 will end the season early which means:

Promoted: Coventry City (champions), Rotherham United
Play-offs: Wycombe Wanderers v Fleetwood Town, Oxford United v Portsmouth
Relegated: Tranmere Rovers, Southend United, Bolton Wanderers

Promoted: Swindon Town (champions), Crewe Alexandra, Plymouth Argyle
Play-offs: Cheltenham Town v Northampton Town, Exeter City v Colchester United
Relegated: Stevenage

No word yet on what would happen if the Play Offs can't take place, and in the case of relegation from League 2 it needs a guarantee from the National League that they can start next season so that Stevenage have somewhere to play.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
At least the EFL have justified it, even if you don't agree with the justification.

Nothing was forthcoming from the SPFL when they took an equally ****e decision.