• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
That was utterly terrible.

One of the worst displays I have seen in quite some time

None of the players looked interested at all. Nothing but lethargy

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It balances out the home advantage you'd get in extra time though. Apparently in Europe about 50% of ETs go to penalties, and about 25% are won by the home and away teams each. So there doesn't seem to be a big advantage for either with the current set up.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anyone think away goal rule shouldn't extend to extra time? One team gets more than 90 mins away game time
I've thought this in the past having been done by it a couple of times but it's a great leveller and compensates for one team getting 120 minutes of home advantage rather than 90.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The away goal rule results in some brutal outcomes when the team playing the 2nd leg away sneaks an equalizing goal towards the end after getting dominated. It's better than the other options which would lead to a lot of penalty shootouts though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Away goals aside, Arsenal deserved to lose yesterday, it was an utterly cack performance

No movement, no intensity, no urgency, no ideas

Really disappointing

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There shouldn't be any extra time at all. There's already been 180 minutes of play. Straight to penalties.

Uppercut

How did we get from the peak footballing drama of last night to "something is wrong with this competition and must be fixed"?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't really have a problem with the away goals rule tbh. I can see the logic behind the arguments for binning it off, but I really just don't care strongly about it either way.

Arsenal really were wretched though.

Uppercut

It might not make as much sense as it used to but it's been around for years now and it definitely makes knockout games more exciting. By dropping it you lose a lot of entertainment value and I don't think you really gain anything.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It might not make as much sense as it used to but it's been around for years now and it definitely makes knockout games more exciting. By dropping it you lose a lot of entertainment value and I don't think you really gain anything.
Yeah, I largely agree. It sucks when you are on the wrong end of it, but honestly the knowledge that the rule was in play last night was basically the only exciting dimension of what was ultimately an absolute snooze-fest of a match.