• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Have always been an away goal ultra. The Zonal Marking podcast this week did a good job of highlighting the positives of it I thought.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Away goals as a rule makes literally no sense. The best defence of it is it's been around for ages which isn't really a great defence. Not something I massively give a **** about but I'd struggle to mount an argument in favour of it.

And while there are cases, as Uppercut has highlighted, of it leading to greater entertainment it also leads to an equal and opposite amount of negative tactics. Tend to think it's zero-sum in that regard.

No big fan of penalties but it's a better way of settling ties IMO.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The EFL Play-offs routinely produce crazy entertainment year on year and they dropped away goals about 17 years ago.

Obviously you adapt to the situation, and I don't dispute it makes for some knife edge situations. But so does not having it.

Anyway I wasn't particularly calling for it to be scrapped (though I would be in favour, and if the rule didn't exist anyone who suggested it would be laughed out of the room) but someone posted that it was a good way of preventing a tie going to pens. I am not sure how that is a justifiable reason because to me pens is a much fairer way of settling a tie.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Love to score the same amount of goals as the opposition and lose.
Fairness has always been a secondary priority in football. Of course, one can very reasonably argue extra time and penalties are more exciting and dramatic than the potential for goals that swing a side from losing to winning and vice-versa anyway.

No denying its existence is weird in a world where penalties exist for domestic comps and international tournaments though. Personally I like it just because it adds something different to certain fixtures and lets me nerd out on the increased number of permutations with the scoreline.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Useless Benteke even quicker than usual to make a complete mess of a decent chance, once again sending it closer to the corner flag than the goal. How exactly does he get a game ahead of Tosun? Or ahead of any promising forward from the youth team? Whilst not usually keen on scapegoating individuals, his complete uselessness makes him a thoroughly fair exception to that rule.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'll take that, and in fairness to Benteke, apparently his was an excellent assist for the goal. It will take some effort not to stay up now.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm fine with it as a tie breaker.

Michael Cox did a podcast on the Athletic about the away goals rule and I think they have me convinced. It sucks balls when your team is the victim of it but it gives such a fascinating dynamic to the 2nd leg.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man Utd.'s luck with VAR is disgusting this season. Hope they get everything going against them next year.