• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

andmark

International Captain
Good but a bit overrated I think.

His output in terms of goals scored is quite impressive, but I think that masks the fact that on the whole there was nothing especially remarkable about him.

Not terrible, but not in the bracket of the other names mentioned above for mine, B+ player.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. Looking further into his stats, he had 0.45 goals per game as opposed to, say, Aguero with 0.7. Good but not elite level stuff from Cole.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Statistical quirk: Andy Cole has the highest scoring Premier League season ever if you discount penalties, though he did do it in the old 42 game seasons rather than in the current format.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Drogba was about as good as any Drogba-type player could ever be imo. Highly effective, but definitely not as pleasing to watch, or as technically gifted as any of the others mentioned.
His target man work and ability to pull goals out of nothing meant Chelsea barely needed to bother with players who could pass the ball. He also dominated big games more consistently than anyone else on the list, except maybe Cantona. I’m not sure there’s a player I dreaded facing as much. He just always ****ing scored.

Van Persie deserves a mention.

andmark

International Captain
Just a fun fact passing through: the next PL goal Arsenal concede will be their thousandth in their PL history. I should say I've been getting the stats from here.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Just a fun fact passing through: the next PL goal Arsenal concede will be their thousandth in their PL history. I should say I've been getting the stats from here.
I propose a moratorium on stats starting in 1992

although Liverpool are only five goals away from conceding 5,000 top division League goals.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
His target man work and ability to pull goals out of nothing meant Chelsea barely needed to bother with players who could pass the ball. He also dominated big games more consistently than anyone else on the list, except maybe Cantona. I’m not sure there’s a player I dreaded facing as much. He just always ****ing scored.

Van Persie deserves a mention.
Absolute cryptonite to Arsenal defenders. Especially Philippe Senderos. The first occasion he played against Drogba in the Community Shield that time was the beginning of the end for him. Never recovered and just got steadily worse.

andmark

International Captain
Ah, but Liverpool are the all time First Division and Premier League combined points scorers. That's the real table IMO :ph34r:

This post was in reference to Magrat and now I can't delete it :(

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I think there’s also a sense that English football was in a terrible state in the early 90s, so it wasn’t so hard to come in and dominate. But playing such a technical game on pitches like those, with defenders that aggressive and referees that lenient, was almost impossible- that’s why nobody else did it. At the time it looked like he’d arrived from another planet.
Yeah, the post-Hysel ban had wrecked the standard of English football by the early 1990s. Cantona may well be the most influential player of the post EPL era, even if he's by no means the best. I remember reading an account of a training session at MU when Beckham, Scholes et al were still very young. Basically involved lots of passing and retention of possession, so one of the kids pointed out that they were exactly where they had been when the routine started, to which Cantona pointed out that the defenders weren't, hence the point of it all. Kids stuff nowadays of course, but revolutionary in English football at the time.

Uppercut

Yeah, the post-Hysel ban had wrecked the standard of English football by the early 1990s. Cantona may well be the most influential player of the post EPL era, even if he's by no means the best. I remember reading an account of a training session at MU when Beckham, Scholes et al were still very young. Basically involved lots of passing and retention of possession, so one of the kids pointed out that they were exactly where they had been when the routine started, to which Cantona pointed out that the defenders weren't, hence the point of it all. Kids stuff nowadays of course, but revolutionary in English football at the time.
The thing I noticed when I watched videos of him recently was how two-footed he was. One of those players that doesn’t even hesitate to use his weaker foot, firing in perfect first-time volleyed crosses with his left like it was easy. I remember my dad banging on about it (often with unflattering comparisons to Giggs) but I was too young to appreciate it at the time. Even today players who do that stand out.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pre-injury Robbie Fowler belongs in the argument (though falls short). Same goes for pre-injuries Michael Owen, he’d have been one of the greats if his body had been able to cope with the demands.

But yeah for me it’s Henry.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it has to be Henry.

Nobody has mentioned Kane. I mean I don't really think about him either but that is kind of the thing with him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In fairness Aguero hasn’t been mentioned either has he? Both will be up there when they’re done.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ha, clearly not paying enough attention. It’s been a long day.

Henry, Ronaldo, Suarez, Aguero, Shearer, Bergkamp, Drogba, Owen, Fowler, Kane, Rooney, Cantona

That’s the elite list for me, in no order. Probably forgetting someone obvious

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Why did Dubravka decide to turn into complete **** overnight. Three points lost in two games thanks to him.

Edit: Bloke had his arms all over his face tbf. Should still have done better.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
Ha, clearly not paying enough attention. It’s been a long day.

Henry, Ronaldo, Suarez, Aguero, Shearer, Bergkamp, Drogba, Owen, Fowler, Kane, Rooney, Cantona

That’s the elite list for me, in no order. Probably forgetting someone obvious
I was half-tempted to mention Bergkamp, but he played behind Henry in a 4-4-1-1 as I understand it, so not quite a full-on striker role.

Uppercut

Bergkamp counts if Rooney counts imo.

He might be the most beautiful player on the list. He was somewhere between a footballer and a master artist.

Might just be my memory but I don’t remember him doing us too much damage. I remember a lot of ridiculously good Bergkamp goals but I can’t think of many important ones. Not for Arsenal anyway.

Kane is almost the opposite, he looks so little like a world-class footballer that most people didn’t realise until he’d scored 100 goals.

Last edited: