• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
despise the guy and his club but Ronaldo is the best striker the prem has had.
Na, wasn't anywhere near the player he became when he was at United. Maybe in his last but one season but overall no. Be like me claiming Joe Hart is the greatest keeper ever for Shrewsbury when he left us as a teenager and ended up improving beyond all expectations.

For the record the best I have seen us have is Steve Ogrizovic with Dean Henderson a close 2nd.

I was thinking over the weekend that Aguero may well be ahead of Henry now as the greatest striker from the Premier League era. Arsenal cult on here will disagree but I'd not swap Aguero for anyone.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Ronaldo at United couldn’t be described as a striker imo. His 08 season was the best any PL player has had though. Suarez’s last season at Liverpool is close but Ronaldo did it while also dominating Europe.

Uppercut

Na, wasn't anywhere near the player he became when he was at United. Maybe in his last but one season but overall no. Be like me claiming Joe Hart is the greatest keeper ever for Shrewsbury when he left us as a teenager and ended up improving beyond all expectations.

For the record the best I have seen us have is Steve Ogrizovic with Dean Henderson a close 2nd.

I was thinking over the weekend that Aguero may well be ahead of Henry now as the greatest striker from the Premier League era. Arsenal cult on here will disagree but I'd not swap Aguero for anyone.
I think I’d still take Henry. I’m not sure the British pundit class really appreciated how good he was. Both are great though.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
yeah only 118 goals, clearly not a striker.

(I know what you *mean* but it doesn't make him less of a striker that he also constructed plays)

Plus, I said that he's the best striker the prem has had, not that he's the best prem striker. Which admittedly is another question to what Cow wanted to troll about.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Is this a language thing? A striker isn’t a player who scores lots of goals, it’s a specific position on the pitch that Ronaldo didn’t play.

flibbertyjibber

Ronaldo at United couldn’t be described as a striker imo. His 08 season was the best any PL player has had though. Suarez’s last season at Liverpool is close but Ronaldo did it while also dominating Europe.
Cantona won a title virtually on his own that one year, always seemed to pop up with the vital goal in a tight match.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, forward =/= striker.

Henry just about the best striker in Prem history though. Like UC said, suspect he was actually quite underrated. Had 2-3 seasons where he was legit the best attacking/goal scoring player in the world.

Pires another player who whilst almost universally highly rated was actually underrated on the whole.

Uppercut

Cantona won a title virtually on his own that one year, always seemed to pop up with the vital goal in a tight match.
Yeah Cantona’s another player that I think is underrated today, apart from by United fans. Totally different game back then so it’s hard to compare.

andmark

International Captain
My instinct would be Henry, but I'll try to be a devil's advocate and throw some names out. Could any of the following be in the discussion: Didier Drogba, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Wayne Rooney, Luis Suarez?

Uppercut

My instinct would be Henry, but I'll try to be a devil's advocate and throw some names out. Could any of the following be in the discussion: Didier Drogba, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Wayne Rooney, Luis Suarez?
Yeah I mean it’s subjective. The only one of those I’d reject out of hand is Ruud.

You’d need to be a bit of a Phillistine to pick Drogba but I don’t think Chelsea would have swapped him for anyone.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Drogba was about as good as any Drogba-type player could ever be imo. Highly effective, but definitely not as pleasing to watch, or as technically gifted as any of the others mentioned.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Trying to compile a list of top 5 Prem strikers of all time is a difficult task actually.

Would probably have Henry, Shearer and Aguero as my top 3, but after that it becomes tricky.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

Now there's a true legend.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Cantona’s another player that I think is underrated today, apart from by United fans. Totally different game back then so it’s hard to compare.
Maybe because he generally bombed in Europe. But absolutely vital to Man Utd's rise to domestic dominance of course. Maybe even more so than Schmeichel.

andmark

International Captain
Statistically speaking (this is CW after all) Andy Cole slips under the radar for top five stuff. The third highest scoring player in Premier League history behind Shearer and Rooney. I wouldn't take him, but it's worth bearing in mind.

Uppercut

Maybe because he generally bombed in Europe. But absolutely vital to Man Utd's rise to domestic dominance of course. Maybe even more so than Schmeichel.
Yeah I think there’s also a sense that English football was in a terrible state in the early 90s, so it wasn’t so hard to come in and dominate. But playing such a technical game on pitches like those, with defenders that aggressive and referees that lenient, was almost impossible- that’s why nobody else did it. At the time it looked like he’d arrived from another planet.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Statistically speaking (this is CW after all) Andy Cole slips under the radar for top five stuff. The third highest scoring player in Premier League history behind Shearer and Rooney. I wouldn't take him, but it's worth bearing in mind.
Good but a bit overrated I think.

His output in terms of goals scored is quite impressive, but I think that masks the fact that on the whole there was nothing especially remarkable about him.

Not terrible, but not in the bracket of the other names mentioned above for mine, B+ player.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Henry basically played like Salah does now for 5-7 seasons. I remember Michael Cox in his book arguing that he was a bit under appreciated because English fans just weren't used to top scorers who used to play in the channels and create as many goals as he did. It's incredible to think he still holds the record for most assists in a single season given the number of world class playmakers the PL has had whose job is to almost exclusively create chances while not doing much else.