• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

andmark

International Captain
I think there's a US influence on this debate given how much US sports coverage seems to obsess with "who's the GOAT" (I hate that word). In the Messi/Ronaldo debate, many people seem to extend it so that the answer of the debate is the best ever which is obviously a lazy way of doing it.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think there's a US influence on this debate given how much US sports coverage seems to obsess with "who's the GOAT" (I hate that word). In the Messi/Ronaldo debate, many people seem to extend it so that the answer of the debate is the best ever which is obviously a lazy way of doing it.
The "how many ringz/trophies erneh" is definitely a US thing that seems to have bled into the debate.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The only context in which the use of the term "GOAT" is not irritating is when it is used by (or in reference to) Chris Jericho.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha thought there was a glitch where clicking 9n the footie thread opened the wrestling thread for a moment

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The Ronaldo-Messi debate has got a lot closer over the last few years TBF. At some point, you've got to acknowledge the numbers that Ronaldo is putting up and his relentless bossing of CL knockout matches.

I mean, if you go by watchability and ability to produce amazing moments, I think the Brazilian Ronaldo outstrips the Portuguese one. But career-wise, it's not that close between them any more.
Don't agree.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Fat Ronaldo was insane.

The fact that he was as prolific and fantastic as he was despite being in fairly questionable physical shape for much of his career is testament to just how brilliant his technique, movement, composure and reading of the game were.

One of the greats. A genuinely elite forward, but yet it kind of always feels like he is forgotten a bit when it comes to discussions about best ever players (or so it seems to me anyway). Often brought up as an afterthought rather than a main contender for such an accolade etc.

More fun to watch than CR7 as well, not that they are necessarily obviously comparable players.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Fat Ronaldo was insane.

The fact that he was as prolific and fantastic as he was despite being in fairly questionable physical shape for much of his career is testament to just how brilliant his technique, movement, composure and reading of the game were.

One of the greats. A genuinely elite forward, but yet it kind of always feels like he is forgotten a bit when it comes to discussions about best ever players (or so it seems to me anyway). Often brought up as an afterthought rather than a main contender for such an accolade etc.

More fun to watch than CR7 as well, not that they are necessarily obviously comparable players.
Injury free fat Ronaldo would have been the greatest of all time.

With his injuries he was merely one of the best of all time.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ronaldo v Henry is quite an interesting one.

Generally not sure how I feel on that one. Bias/heart nudges me towards Henry I guess. But head says Ron. But must be close.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Ronaldo v Henry is quite an interesting one.

Generally not sure how I feel on that one. Bias/heart nudges me towards Henry I guess. But head says Ron. But must be close.
At the time nobody thought Henry was better. Ronaldo sort of lit up the footballing world in a way that Henry didn’t. The 2002 World Cup especially made it look like it wasn’t remotely close, but Henry rarely dominated the CL either (probably also why some preferred Ruud, since those were the FTA games).

Thinking about it with hindsight it was maybe closer than it seemed, but Henry being better than Ronaldo feels too revisionist to me.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Ruud > Henry was a defensible opinion in 01/02 and 02/03 I think, although not at any time before or after, and (with hindsight) was wrong even during those two seasons. But it seemed like a fair enough debate at the time, IMO.

Would definitely pick Ronaldo ahead of Henry.

Niall

International Coach
Absolute hammering.

It did not help matters that by playing Alexis they were essentially down to 10 men for the second half. Worst player on the pitch by a long shot. Mata also inept when he was introduced. So many average players in this UTD side.

Uppercut

Absolute hammering.

It did not help matters that by playing Alexis they were essentially down to 10 men for the second half. Worst player on the pitch by a long shot. Mata also inept when he was introduced. So many average players in this UTD side.
I didn't think Alexis was any worse than anyone else. Not like we had any more threat when Martial was on.

Our attack was absolutely shut down. Resorted to Moyesball for the last half hour. Giving Young and Shaw new contracts is a crime against football.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
How does Kimpembe not walk but then he sends Pogba and effectively ends the tie. Outclassed but 2 injuries and a Pogba red is like the bad luck jackpot. The state of our squad is exposed when we play better teams. Mediocrity in abundance. Agreed on Mata and Sanchez not offering much. Sanchez in particular just brings nothing.