• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2015-16

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Same with the CL (they were changed at the same time, so not sure how you caught on to one but not the other) but they have a limit of five teams from one country so scrap 4th if both the CL and EL winner finish outside of the top four.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Okay. I just assumed that you could only have 5 teams if a team won the extra place via the Europa League. If you allow 4 teams plus the CL winners to make up the 5 it means you're denying someone somewhere a place in the draw who would otherwise be in it.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
No because winning the CL is a separate way to qualify for the next edition, just like winning the EL. If that side also finishes in their country's CL places then Switzerland (I think) gets an extra place. There's no denying anyone.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
What I mean is the Europa League is a designated place, no ifs or buts. Finishing outside the domestic qualifying and winning the CL isn't always going to happen so creates a limbo for someone in terms of their number of places.

Anyway. You were right GIMH and I will never doubt your wisdom again. :notworthy

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What I mean is the Europa League is a designated place, no ifs or buts. Finishing outside the domestic qualifying and winning the CL isn't always going to happen so creates a limbo for someone in terms of their number of places.

Anyway. You were right GIMH and I will never doubt your wisdom again. :notworthy
Winning the Champions League is also a designated route ffs.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Don't really understand what you're arguing at this point. GIMH said 4th would only not get CL if Liverpool won the Europa as well as City the CL. This is a fact. You seem to be arguing about what normally happens (CL winners finish in the CL places as well while EL winners don't always) which isn't relevant to the point.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not arguing at all. I admitted I was wrong and was just explaining why I thought the rule was what I thought it was. A team from, perhaps, Switzerland, would be waiting until after the CL Final to see if they've qualified or not.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm not arguing at all. I admitted I was wrong and was just explaining why I thought the rule was what I thought it was. A team from, perhaps, Switzerland, would be waiting until after the CL Final to see if they've qualified or not.
Basically they changed the old rules so if a repeat of 2012 happened now Tottenham would still qualify, but the cap is set at five.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
65 is a crazy number now that I think about it. Works out at about 4.5 per season, almost nobody manages to maintain a record like that. Def not Zola. Maybe Juninho or Pirlo, possibly Mihaijlovic, but I'm really just guessing here. Beckham was definitely one of the best.
He played for over 20 seasons, so it works out nearer 3 per season.

Also he played a hell of a lot of games, took the vast majority of free kicks (particularly for England and for Manure when Ronaldo wasn't around) and got a crack at some ********* goalkeeping (amazing how many were goalkeeping error).

For England he managed 4 free kick goals in 115 matches. One of those was a cross. Much harder against better quality goalkeeping. That's actually a piss poor record considering how many free kicks he took.

cpr

International Coach
BBC doing a break down of Messi's 500 goals. 25 have been free kicks. 25. Just over a third of Beckhams figure. I'm guessing Beeb are not including International U-20 and Barca B/C in his figures, so its in 632 games. Now none of us know how many each has attempted, but I can't believe Beckham could have scored 3 times as many in 200 games more (by the same criteria), without being at least on a par at hitting a dead ball as the widely declared GOAT.

cpr

International Coach
Actually, doing some research (because insomnia), and the best figures I can find for Beckham is that in his last 2 years in the Prem (no stats I can find for before 01/02), he scored 9.3% of his free kicks. Between Aug 13 and Nov 15 (so about the similar timeframe), Messi averaged 5.7% - 4 out of 70 to Becks 5 out of 54 (Ronaldo 5 in 73 for a 6.7% rate for that period - his overall Prem record was 10 in 164, at 6.1%)

I actually think that was kinda a quiet period for Becks scoring from free kicks, went through a bit of a goal drought in his last season. Certainly think his strike rate would've been higher in the 90s, before teams became weary of his free kicks, and before we started to mix it up a bit (Giggs would take some if the angle favoured, just to keep a keeper guessing, as would Veron, who's 2 seasons coincided with these stats).

To cut a long ramble short, the stats show Beckham was at least well above average for his free kick taking, and would probably show a lot more with a fuller picture...

In other words, STFU scaly :p