• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You forget many people won't watch football outside England so at present he is an unproven player in supposedly the best league in the world.
This has got to be a straw man by now. Can't possibly be anyone still claiming this that isn't so stupid they don't count.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
You only had to watch five minute highlights of Atletico's quarter final first leg at the Camp Nou in the Champions League last year to realise how good he is.

I thought he was quite comfortably the goalkeeper of the year last season, was only till the World Cup where people started believing Neuer was better.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's what happens when you average two shots on target a game.

Relegation beckons.
Nah mate, didn't you see after 5 games they were one of the best performing sides in the league? Stuff your performance models which have always made them out to be ****e. :ph34r:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Don't think you needed a model to tell they were not very good.
Maybe not, but conversely it's not as if there weren't relevant people who thought they were turning good based on the table. Going to be much harder to sack Lambert if and when the times comes just because they're lucky four run stretch happened to be the first four games of the season.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have always thought Lambert is pretty decent manager really, Villa have just been bad for a very long time.

Uppercut

Yeah he's basically maintained their previous level of performance while making big cuts on cost. It's a grim, thankless job that he probably regrets taking.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yes, that is largely my attitude as well. The reason men's sports have more prize money is because there is more money in men's sport.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
What has Courtois got to prove? Was immense for Atletico.
He was very very good for Atletico, especially at the back end of the Champions League where he was straight up amazing. I might have come across with my point wrong, but having watched all of United and Chelsea's games this season except 2 combined, I really think De Gea has had the far better season. That's most likely because he has had a horrible defence in front of him (Courtois has arguably the best) and hence far more to do and far less a calming influence in front him, but it's just my opinion. Overall Courtois is no doubt a better keeper but that wasn't really the point I was trying to make. This season, to me, De Gea has done more. I can be wrong, and you can disagree, that's fine.

You forget many people won't watch football outside England so at present he is an unproven player in supposedly the best league in the world.
How about you **** right off?

I'll tell you what, I'll swap sides of the planet with you and we'll see how many 4am kickoff games in Spain you watch every week you pretentious ****. Especially when they usally show one or two games and a highlight show and only on subscription TV. Sheesh.

This thread is a ****ing minefield at the moment. If you dare to have an opinion that differs from the emotionless masses of statistical "geniuses" you get slyly and subtly ridiculed for two pages by 20 different 17 year olds.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

How about you **** right off?

I'll tell you what, I'll swap sides of the planet with you and we'll see how many 4am kickoff games in Spain you watch every week you pretentious ****. Especially when they usally show one or two games and a highlight show and only on subscription TV. Sheesh.

This thread is a ****ing minefield at the moment. If you dare to have an opinion that differs from the emotionless masses of statistical "geniuses" you get slyly and subtly ridiculed for two pages by 20 different 17 year olds.
How about you do one?

I was stating it for the majority of people who are blinkered and don't actually watch football outside the bubble of the Premier League. There are loads of those, go into any factory today and drop a comment about an upcoming La Liga game or Bundesliga match and there will be blank stares back at you as they are only bothered about the Manchester derby this weekend or who their team will be playing.

It is annoying but that is the way, it is better than it was say 10 years ago but still nowhere near as good as it should be given the amount of chances people have to watch football now with the channel on Sky, BT Sport and all the games available online.

Was having a dig at English public in general not people like you, you probably see more foreign football than they do. Take the Chelsea fan on Talksport, he knows very little about anything if it isn't Premier League or he has seen them play against Chelsea and he is glad to admit that yet he works on a national radio station.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He was very very good for Atletico, especially at the back end of the Champions League where he was straight up amazing. I might have come across with my point wrong, but having watched all of United and Chelsea's games this season except 2 combined, I really think De Gea has had the far better season. That's most likely because he has had a horrible defence in front of him (Courtois has arguably the best) and hence far more to do and far less a calming influence in front him, but it's just my opinion. Overall Courtois is no doubt a better keeper but that wasn't really the point I was trying to make. This season, to me, De Gea has done more. I can be wrong, and you can disagree, that's fine.
I'd agree with that. Hard to judge keepers in a way. But I do get impressed when a keeper who has a really good defence in front of him is still alive to the moment and makes great saves. I tend to think that's where the top keepers differ - not that De Gea isn't a top keeper.