• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Away goals are a bit of an anachronism; back in the day I can see why they were introduced as travelling abroad was a big deal; not so very long back teams were literally taking their lives into their hands (Munich :(), foreign conditions were alien to teams that were pretty much exclusively home reared, the officials were often less than neutral, invariably favoured the home side and were occasionally actively bent (I think a ref who officiated Forest in the late 70s admitted to taking a bribe).

Nowadays football's so homogenised away goals are just an arbitrary way of splitting teams.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Away goals are a bit of an anachronism; back in the day I can see why they were introduced as travelling abroad was a big deal; not so very long back teams were literally taking their lives into their hands (Munich :(), foreign conditions were alien to teams that were pretty much exclusively home reared, the officials were often less than neutral, invariably favoured the home side and were occasionally actively bent (I think a ref who officiated Forest in the late 70s admitted to taking a bribe).

Nowadays football's so homogenised away goals are just an arbitrary way of splitting teams.
1984 final would have been an all-British affair had it not been for a bent ref.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My dad swears blind Liverpool were cheated by a corrupt ref against Inter in the 60s, semis I think

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

1984 final would have been an all-British affair had it not been for a bent ref.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah there are several supposed cases of bent refs. Only really hear about the occasions when it affected English teams but presumably there are more. Liverpool vs Inter in 1965 is usually cited, as is Derby vs Juventus in, I think, 1973. Also, never really seen it argued that it was bent (other than by United players/fans) but a big part of the reason United failed to retain the European Cup in 1969 was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. I'm sure there must be more cases involving non-English teams being wronged but unless I'm forgetting something obvious, I've never really heard anything from that era. It seems likely though that there were probably other cases.