• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Have any of you head about Platini saying Ribery might get a ban for Bayern if he refuses to play for France? The bloke has retired from international football ffs.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
What is this Great British Bake Off anyway, and why is everyone going on about it? Surely it's not actually any good...
We should all be thankful that Mr Bladder isn't aware of reality TV or the Penalty Shoot-outs could easily be replaced by a phone vote.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Hungary beaten at home by Northern Ireland. There should be a play-off between England and Hungary to decide which nation has fallen the furthest.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGeady WAG. His patented turn is going mainstream after that.

Great five minutes for the Irelands.

Uppercut

The legacy of the 2014 World Cup is that from now on any team getting smashed by Germany can wheel out "It's Just Like Watching Brazil". Scotland's turn tonight.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If Gibraltar can restrict their loss to Germany to five goals we can officially label them as better than Brazil :ph34r:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Have any of you head about Platini saying Ribery might get a ban for Bayern if he refuses to play for France? The bloke has retired from international football ffs.
I went to the trouble of giving Bild-Zeitung some hits to find the original quote (because, you know, English press and French people) and it's, amazingly, even worse in context. Pure intimidation.

I can't begin to imagine how he thought that would play out in public.

Uppercut

Scotland looked really good against Germany tonight. Phase one of their usual routine, which inevitably ends with failing to qualify in a depressing last-game 0-0 draw at home to Georgia.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Added on 3 minutes. Not a ball kicked for the first 2 and then blew up at 4 minutes 27 when Scotland had a corner.
Mark Clatterbug was refereeing the Greece v Romania game behind closed doors. The sort of crowd he deserves.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I went to the trouble of giving Bild-Zeitung some hits to find the original quote (because, you know, English press and French people) and it's, amazingly, even worse in context. Pure intimidation.

I can't begin to imagine how he thought that would play out in public.
Is that even a thing?

Can rattle off at least half-a-dozen English players who've retired from internationals to prolong their club careers off the top of my head: Shearer, Scholes, Carragher (comeback notwithstanding), Cashley, Gerrard & Lampard.

Terry, Andy Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Ben Foster & Michael Carrick have all withdrawn their international services whilst playing on at their clubs for periods or indefinitely due to fits of pique too.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Is that even a thing?

Can rattle off at least half-a-dozen English players who've retired from internationals to prolong their club careers off the top of my head: Shearer, Scholes, Carragher (comeback notwithstanding), Cashley, Gerrard & Lampard.

Terry, Andy Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Ben Foster & Michael Carrick have all withdrawn their international services whilst playing on at their clubs for periods or indefinitely due to fits of pique too.
I can see why they have the rule. With qualifying now how it is you get the sense a lot of big players in their prime would consider the international break a major annoyance so you don't want them to be able to say "no thanks" to a call up. But when a player over the age of 30 who has just gone through a season struggling with injury formally retires you just have to use your common sense.

Uppercut

There's a fear that clubs would put players under pressure to stop playing for their country. Which probably would/will happen long-term.

Uppercut

Has he even played a minute there since that woeful shift in the 1-3 vs. Villa at the start of last season?