• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

They then became sad and left is killing me. may well be sigged

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Good team, I would go with that. Rooney and Owen might have a good chance of getting in as well. Still wouldn't get past the quarters of an international tournament, though. :p
Not that I give a **** about England doing well in major tournaments but I'll just point out that the bulk of this side actually made the semis of Euro 96 - and IMO England's 1996 team is comfortably the best England side I've seen.

edit: Rooney will probably take Sheringham's place in the team in 5 years time. Also, McManaman was criminally under-rated.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pondering the England XI, given the lack of right back and left-midfielder, I'm tempted to plump for 3 defenders plus wing backs. Something like

Banks
Moore, Walker & Ferdinand
Beckham and A. Cole
Gazza, Scholes & Robson
Lineker & Beardsley/Shearer

Very rarely played of course. Hoddle did it occasionally, notably in Italy when qualifying for WC98. And Robson at times during WC90, although I know opinions differ on that one. Did Venables play something like that during Euro96? I really can't remember. It does get us around the two major problems in picking this team

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pondering the England XI, given the lack of right back and left-midfielder, I'm tempted to plump for 3 defenders plus wing backs. Something like

Banks
Beckham and A. Cole
Gazza, Scholes & Robson

Very rarely played of course. Hoddle did it occasionally, notably in Italy when qualifying for WC98. And Robson at times during WC90, although I know opinions differ on that one. Did Venables play something like that during Euro96? I really can't remember. It does get us around the two major problems in picking this team
Venables played 4-3-2-1 did he not? Sheringham and possibly McManaman floating beind Shearer?

I'd set my team out in a diamond - Scholes and Gascoigne in front of Ince with McManaman a free role to do what he wants behind Shearer and Sheringham.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
McManaman is one of the most frustrating footballers of his generation, for mine. Guy clearly had it. Just didn't seem that bothered he had it a lot of the time.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Banks
Beckham and A. Cole
Gazza, Scholes & Robson

Not a bad idea, TBH, particularly as Moore had a great passing range, Becks did play wing-back a bit, and Robbo was left-footed. Nowadays he'd be stuck out on the wing to accommodate Stevie G and Lumpard8-)

cpr

International Coach
I'm surprised you didn't put David May and Phil Neville in TBH.
Yeah, the team's heavily United dominated. But then so's English football been :cool:

I can only judge from 1990 on really, cant remember much before the Italia 90, being 7 n all

Least I left Lee Sharpe off the left wing :ph34r:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
WTF, it's not a World Cup year?

My mate claims none of Italy's World Cups should count

1934/38 - Fascist rule, bullied/owned refs, threatened oppo with death, etc
1982/06 - Matchfixing scandal in Serie A, too suspicious

Ban them.

Craig

World Traveller
Well he called Italy the cess-pit of world football, so that must mean that English football is oh so perfect. I'm not sure how I could of been any clearer. If I went into CC and called Pakistan the cess-pit of international cricket, I don't think it would go down too well.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well he called Italy the cess-pit of world football, so that must mean that English football is oh so perfect. I'm not sure how I could of been any clearer. If I went into CC and called Pakistan the cess-pit of international cricket, I don't think it would go down too well.
Erm...considering he never proclaimed English football was any such thing, no it doesn't.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Wayne Rooney was spotted this morning sporting a full head of hair for the first time in 8 years. I often wonder what the point is. On Joe Bloggs it would probably go unnoticed but if you're Wayne Rooney, or Elton John, everyone knows it's not real.