• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Was declared 100% healed and healthy by the new medical staff.

Still wouldn't make sense shipping him off. We lack players with creativity in central areas. We have Gerrard and Cole...and that's it pretty much. We have Cole out for 3 games and most Reds thought it a no-brainer to slot Aquilani right in. Now, I wonder who that's going to be. If the Europa game is something to go by Hodgson is interested in a 4-4-2. An outdated system these days.

One of the more daft loan moves I've seen in recent years. It's not like we're City and we can just flog such a player off.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Still wouldn't make sense shipping him off. We lack players with creativity in central areas. We have Gerrard and Cole...and that's it pretty much. We have Cole out for 3 games and most Reds thought it a no-brainer to slot Aquilani right in. Now, I wonder who that's going to be. If the Europa game is something to go by Hodgson is interested in a 4-4-2. An outdated system these days.

One of the more daft loan moves I've seen in recent years. It's not like we're City and we can just flog such a player off.
I dont really think it is TBH. If you have the right players. 4-4-2 can still be an effective formation. ENG national team just make it look bad, since the right players aren't present.

United this season to date & Munich in the CL last season are two perfect examples of how 4-4-2 can still work very effectively.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Kuyt is the type of player fans will always love though. There's a common breed of football fan who sees the sport as a pure battle of will where the team that tries hardest always wins. They're the type who populate 606 and blame every defeat on "not playing for the shirt" or "not wanting it enough". I wonder if it's uniquely English to love footballers who run around lots.
Not particularly, Beckham was loved at Real because of the effort he put in on the pitch, and if you watch a clasico, hard crunching tackles are well appreciated by the fans, it's not a particularly British/English phenomenon - I think it's natural to appreciate someone who isn't particularly talented at what they do, but will give absolutely every ounce of effort to be as good as they can possibly be. Fans can relate to that because if they were ever fortunate enough to pull on the shirt, they'd give 100%.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Apaarently Liverpool have made a bid for Toivonen.

Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

Craig

World Traveller
I watched Steve McClaren's Bundesliga debut as coach of Wolfsburg against Bayern Munich, and just as well Arsenal didn't sign Simon Kjær, as he had NFI what he was doing out there.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Agree. Don't know what Rafa's thinking was behind the signing (maybe he gambled a bit and got unlucky with Aquilani's injuries) but it's daft of Hodgson to get rid of him without even giving him a fair chance to prove himself.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Ah yes they bought him too. I've heard Boateng is versatile to play anywhere along the backline well. So the perfect scenario for me would be Richards stepping up as either a RB or CB. Thus both him & Boateng can start - thus Kompany would be benched.
Kompany >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Richards.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I watched Steve McClaren's Bundesliga debut as coach of Wolfsburg against Bayern Munich, and just as well Arsenal didn't sign Simon Kjær, as he had NFI what he was doing out there.
Barzagli looked the goods in that game. Cracking match too. Going to watch a fair bit more of the Bundesliga this year. Great league to watch.

Uppercut

Not particularly, Beckham was loved at Real because of the effort he put in on the pitch, and if you watch a clasico, hard crunching tackles are well appreciated by the fans, it's not a particularly British/English phenomenon - I think it's natural to appreciate someone who isn't particularly talented at what they do, but will give absolutely every ounce of effort to be as good as they can possibly be. Fans can relate to that because if they were ever fortunate enough to pull on the shirt, they'd give 100%.
Fans only relate to what they see, though. The work that makes the most difference to the quality of a football team goes on in the training ground. Cristiano Ronaldo was often criticised in his early career for not tracking back and labelled "lazy". The truth is he was putting a phenomenal amount of effort into improving his own game, and as a result he won us three consecutive titles almost single-handedly.

Not that I disagree, ftr. I love seeing front men launch into a crunching tackle on the edge of their own box as much as anyone. But it's an emotional response rather than a logical one.

Uppercut

Agree. Don't know what Rafa's thinking was behind the signing (maybe he gambled a bit and got unlucky with Aquilani's injuries) but it's daft of Hodgson to get rid of him without even giving him a fair chance to prove himself.
It was a horrendous signing. Why would you pay a lot of money for a player with a medium-term injury? Anyone who's played Football Manager knows that's a bad idea.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Being hard working makes you forgive a limited player for his flaws from time to time. That's as far as it should go though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Being hard working makes you forgive a limited player for his flaws from time to time. That's as far as it should go though.
Just like Denil.....

Anyway...

Should be a comfortable/resounding victory today. Anything else has to be considered a poor result.