• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well duh, as Drogba is almost 2 strikers in 1.

Pretty sure back in the day, when you had the likes of Henry, Owen at his peak, Andy Cole, van Nistelrooy etc most defenders would still have said big Dunc was their hardest opponent.
Hmmm dunno. Most likely to kick your head in perhaps, but hardest?...Bit subjective for mine.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not the hardest. Shearer was seriously awkward to play against in that respect as well, and scored the odd goal or two to go with it.

I see where you're coming from, but honestly, I don't think that's what scares centre-backs. As a species they really tend to back themselves in any kind of physical battle, in this country at least. Alan Hansen once said he'd rather play against a Drogba than a Crespo (when both were at Chelsea, but before Drogba was one of the best in the world).
They'd back themselves in a physical battle, and most of them would probably relish such a contest, but that doesn't mean that playing directly against a physical centre forward isn't hard.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a moron.
To be fair, this was back when most fans would've said the same. Drogba really wasn't very highly rated for the first year or two. Unfairly so, imo.

He backed up his opinion pretty well though, which is all you can really ask for. Showed several occasions where Crespo was ready to follow in a shot or get on the end of a cross, then several where Drogba missed out by not being sharp enough.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What's the pregame coverage been like on ITV?

Had to lol at Teddy Sheringham at the weekend saying "this tie isn't over."

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
gawd, whadda load of condescending crap, this one of the great nights in Spurs history, just because it's against Real. Surely there's been some matches in their history they've got a chance of winning8-)

Anyway, let's hope they carry on like this and cripple the W*nker.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well duh, as Drogba is almost 2 strikers in 1.

Pretty sure back in the day, when you had the likes of Henry, Owen at his peak, Andy Cole, van Nistelrooy etc most defenders would still have said big Dunc was their hardest opponent.
Horrible blue****e ****, ****ing fit that club well, ****

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
To be fair, this was back when most fans would've said the same. Drogba really wasn't very highly rated for the first year or two. Unfairly so, imo.

He backed up his opinion pretty well though, which is all you can really ask for. Showed several occasions where Crespo was ready to follow in a shot or get on the end of a cross, then several where Drogba missed out by not being sharp enough.
Actually tbf now that you mention it I remember the exact piece of analysis you speak of, and yeah Drogba did look pretty ordinary at that time.

What I was mainly getting at here is that I have always thought of Crespo as being massively overated, despite his impressive records for Parma and Lazio.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Actually tbf now that you mention it I remember the exact piece of analysis you speak of, and yeah Drogba did look pretty ordinary at that time.

What I was mainly getting at here is that I have always thought of Crespo as being massively overated, despite his impressive records for Parma and Lazio.
Nah, disagree. Crespo was geniuenly a great striker (more-so than Drogba) and possibly one of the reasons Hansen rated him was that in pomp, there was no better header of a ball than Hernan. Great example of that was the header that sent Manure out of the Champions League in 2005.

Still think Drogba in pomp would be the tougher opponent as unlike Crespo he had pace and strength. Just like I would rather mark Diego Milito than Trevor Benjamin as I at least know Milto is probably not quicker or stronger than me.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Thank **** Ancelotti's a clown, really wouldn't have felt good about facing Drogba for the full ninety. Was Torres even as good as Drogba when he was at his peak?
At his peak - his first season as Liverpool - I would have comfortably said yes. But it has been through his trough that I've realised Drogba has always been better. Torres is great when he is scoring goals but when he doesn't he can be a liability. Yes, he does chase back but he is such a selfish footballer. He has to take on players in needless situations and does not hold the ball up well for his teammates to pass. On the other hand, at times Drogba is a true playmaker and brings everyone else into the game. So whether he is scoring or not he can be a huge thorn with the ball at his feet. When Torres gets the ball 8/10 he puts his head down and tries to take on the defenders or have a pop at goal. Yes, he is a forward and that is the natural instinct but I feel he lacks the game-intelligence that Drogba has.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought Torres's performances in 2007 and 2008 were even better than the FIFA World Player of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo, who was a goal machine at the time (and still is), but received great service. Torres used to score so many goals out of nowhere, and in the biggest of games. I think he had scored in every Champions League knockout tie he has played in before this year. But yeah, his recent dips and injuries have really hurt his case.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
In pomp Torres > Drogba.

Never been a big fan of this guy but this a great picture/moment. :)

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
At SJP for the first time since August. Haven't actually seen us lose this season so here's hoping for three points over Orient (prob should have brought a neck brace if they play like they did last year), defeats for Bournemouth and Rochdale and a real playoff race.

It has just dawned on me that there will be one crap team in the playoffs this season - why can't it be us?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Four wins in a row - win the next four and we'll have that sixth place, too. Unfortunately our record against other CW teams is pretty **** and Oldham and Tranmere are next up. Oh well, it'll be fun finding out...

Cureton's a legend. I'd walk back to Oxford if it guaranteed him a new contract.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Come on City,
Come on City,
Come on City,
Come on City,
Come on City,
Come on City,
Come on City,
Come on City,
Come on City
Come on