• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What I don't get is the media's love-in for Portsmouth and all the undoubted talk we'll hear about how unfair it is on them for the players to miss the Cup Final because the club can't afford to play them.

They've got into this final by what is in effect cheating, having these players who they shouldn't have playing for them, so if they can't play the final then tough.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can someone explain just why that Spurs goal was disallowed? Struggling to see anything other than James failing to reach the cross because there's a player there trying to head it into the goal.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Enough to restore one's faith in a benign god, tbh. :cool:

Aching for 'Arry's interview too. As Neil said the other week there's no freude like schadenfreude. :happy:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Agree with a lot of this and think Tevez (if he'd wanted to continue in a supporting role, which he didn't) would have been very valuable this season. Though I have some faith in the kids - they've still got a long way to come and not all of them will make the grade, but they've got plenty of ability and age is on their side.
Would much rather giving them chances than Tevez TBH. Lose out quality but fine by me if even just one or two of Welbeck, Macheda, Diouf and now Hernandez become quality.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Can someone explain just why that Spurs goal was disallowed? Struggling to see anything other than James failing to reach the cross because there's a player there trying to head it into the goal.
Could tell by James' reaction too that he knows he's dodged a bullet. Clearly no foul.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
BTW Portsmouth for the cup. Called it in mid week and just waiting on a lucky last minute goal for them to beat Chelsea in the final now.

social

Enough to restore one's faith in a benign god, tbh. :cool:

Aching for 'Arry's interview too. As Neil said the other week there's no freude like schadenfreude. :happy:
Dont really understand some people's love for the guy tbh

I know the accent is charming to some but to me he's just ........... and there's little doubt that he preyed on weak management at Pompey with only one thing in mind

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dont really understand some people's love for the guy tbh

I know the accent is charming to some but to me he's just ........... and there's little doubt that he preyed on weak management at Pompey with only one thing in mind
Bent as the proverbial nine bob note.

Allegedly, obv..

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Would much rather giving them chances than Tevez TBH. Lose out quality but fine by me if even just one or two of Welbeck, Macheda, Diouf and now Hernandez become quality.
Yeah, fair point - and I'll be really disappointed if, as you say, at least one or two of that quartet don't make the grade at Old Trafford. Macheda in particular, it's worth remembering, is still only 18.

Jarquis

Don't get the hype over Diouf, seen him only a handful of times but wasn't impressed much. Older than Nicklas as well.
Nicklas :wub:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't get the hype over Diouf, seen him only a handful of times but wasn't impressed much. Older than Nicklas as well.
Nicklas :wub:
He's raw but talented - watching him in the reserves he's often a class above anyone else on the pitch but he's still finding his feet in the first team. A couple of years older than we'd usually be looking at as "one for the future" TBH but I'd like to give him a full season before passing judgement.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
What I don't get is the media's love-in for Portsmouth and all the undoubted talk we'll hear about how unfair it is on them for the players to miss the Cup Final because the club can't afford to play them.

They've got into this final by what is in effect cheating, having these players who they shouldn't have playing for them, so if they can't play the final then tough.
It's a very fair point. I think there's a lot of sympathy for the fans, but beyond that you're dead right. Given the 10 point penalty in the league, perhaps they should have started every cup game with a one goal deficit to show some consistency.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It shouldn't have been. Same old David James at Wembley afaics. Did the same against MU in 1996 and again against Chelsea at some point in the dim & distant past. Only keeper to have cost his sides two cup finals, and I wouldn't bet against him making it three on 15th May.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Had been meaning to ask you what you thought of him actually, having seen him regularly in Norway.

Not much then, I take it? :laugh:
By Norwegian standard, he's not bad. Dominated for about a season.

Also, he had a reputation for going absent for long whiles and then bursting out with crazy good matches.

The trouble is, our best club lost to Karabakh from Azerbaijan in the European Cup. So really, most Premier League-class players should dominate our league, let alone Champions League-class. (Diouf was perhaps on a par with Rade Prica, who got 6 matches for Sunderland last year.)

From an admittedly Norway-centric perspective, it seems as though they've just thrown money at Solskjær's old club in return for...I've no idea. Possibly some more Mikel-style shenanigans down the line.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Thrilled at the results today. Great to have the Portsmouth dump Harry Redknapp (WAC) out at the semis and drag 120 mins out of Spurs and leave them with only a few days until they play Arsenal who ought to be fresh, Palacios banned as well. Man Utd's failure to topple Blackburn means that second place is very much on. Winner.