• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2007-08

Tom Halsey

International Coach
From very brief highlights of the game, my very brief analysis:

Sending off harsh, however Cole should have gone, so evens out.

Penalty also harsh, however should have had another, so also evens out.

Very good play indeed by Giggs that lead to the first goal, even if the finish did rely on Cech committing himself and getting nowehere near.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If you look at the replay you'll see Saha getting hit in the face. Exaggerated though probably.
More like defying the laws of physics. Ben Haim & Saha were face to face and Saha "fell" forward. There was slight contact, but a clear case of a penalty earned.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IMO Chelsea finishing outside the top four is fanciful, however Mitchell is over-rating Chelsea's quality of players a bit IMO, they're not that good.
Been in the top two for a few seasons now, would have to say that their players are actually pretty good.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
More like defying the laws of physics. Ben Haim & Saha were face to face and Saha "fell" forward. There was slight contact, but a clear case of a penalty earned.
He got hit across his face and his feet were clipped. Probably because they were so close together. Thought it was a dive myself befor ei saw the replay from the angle showing him getting hit in the face.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Been in the top two for a few seasons now, would have to say that their players are actually pretty good.
Cech, Terry, Lampard, Drogba, Robben, Carvalho, Gallas, Essien, Makelele, Joe Cole and Damien Duff being the players who contributed substantially. Three of them are gone now and who knows how many more will be gone come January.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I don't think there will be that big a cleanout, personally.

If anything, consistently winning trophies with a constantly changing side is an achievement rather than anything to the opposite of that.

Matteh

Cech, Terry, Lampard, Drogba, Robben, Carvalho, Gallas, Essien, Makelele, Joe Cole and Damien Duff being the players who contributed substantially. Three of them are gone now and who knows how many more will be gone come January.
Just named 11 players. So their first team squad are pretty decent, which is the team that plays most the games. Not like those that have gone have been replaced with Ashley Young or John Carew.

grecian

FFS West Ham, you should be killing this ****e8-)

Edit: Well done for listening to me you Irons :)

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Have been a fan of Dean Ashton since West Ham super run in the FA Cup 2 seasons back & the little highlights i've seen of him this season i think he could be a very servicable striker for England in the coming years & along with Owen, Rooney & Heskey when fit again they could make a solid strike force for England.

Overall once this crazy injury demon can ease up, potentially the 23 that could go to Euro 2008 (yes I have no doubt England will qualify) is exciting.

Keeping position is likely to be battle out between Robbo, James & Carson for the remainder of the season. Hoping Carson can keep Sorenson on the bench since preferably i'd like him to become England # 1 very soon, was impressed by him in the EURO Under 21's.

Defenders - will likely be Cole, Terry, Ferdinand, Richards being the main 4, backed up from Neville, Campbell, Woodgate/King, Bridge. Heard that Bridge could go to City in the Jan transfer window would be good for him the bloke deserves first team football too good a player to be stuck on bench.

Mid-fielders - Becks, Hargreaves, Stevie G, Cole would be the best starting combination overall once all are fit i think. Barry, Lamps, any one of SWP/Pennant/Lennon/Bentley to be the right-wing sub depending on their form for the remainder of the season & the same goes for the left hand side Young/Taylor/Downing depending on form but i hope Young steps up more performances like the one againts Chelsea & he should be a shoe by next july.

Strikers - as i said earlier banking on St.Michael, Wazza, Hesky & Ashton to be our strike force.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I've always thought that Ashton and Owen up front with Rooney just behind would work a treat.

So...

Carson/Foster/James
Richards
Terry
Ferdinand
A.Cole
Hargreaves
Gerrard
J.Cole
Rooney
Ashton
Owen

Rooney would occupy the left side and be allowed to roam infield with Joe Cole on the right and Gerrard and Hargreaves in the centre.

Johnners

Good stuff from Torres against Reading in the carling cup (y). Does anyone know whats happening with Crouch yet? I assume he still hasn't signed a new deal?

Getting excited about Cahill returning as well, can't be too far away now :D

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
Good stuff from Torres against Reading in the carling cup (y). Does anyone know whats happening with Crouch yet? I assume he still hasn't signed a new deal?

na crouch hasnt signed and i believe juventus and man city are chasing him for what ever reason i have no idea but the sooner we get rid of him the better.

Agent TBY

International Captain

Conflicting loyalties?

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
carling cup results

Wednesday, 26 September 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aston Villa 0-1 Leicester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackburn 3-0 Birmingham
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fulham 1-2 Bolton
Hull 0-4 Chelsea
Man Utd 0-2 Coventry
Sheff Wed 0-3 Everton
Tottenham 2-0 Middlesbrough
West Ham 1-0 Plymouth
Tuesday, 25 September 2007
Arsenal 2-0 Newcastle
Blackpool 2-1 Southend
Burnley 0-1 Portsmouth
Luton 3-1 Charlton
Man City 1-0 Norwich
Reading 2-4 Liverpool
Sheff Utd 5-0 Morecambe
West Brom 2-4 Cardiff

Loony BoB

International Captain
I think that's three times in four years that United have crashed out to non-Premiership opposition in cup ties? Man we're good at that. :p I was telling my mates it'll be our toughest opposition yet the other day because of our recent history in such ties and it looks like I was right!