• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2005-06

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BBC World had a preview of the groups today. "13 of the 14 European teams must be regarded as favourites to go through, oh, and maybe Mexico, Brazil and Argentina." Ye gods, this isn't handball - teams from Europe actually are fairly mediocre!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
BBC World had a preview of the groups today. "13 of the 14 European teams must be regarded as favourites to go through, oh, and maybe Mexico, Brazil and Argentina." Ye gods, this isn't handball - teams from Europe actually are fairly mediocre!
I agree it's probably a view based on a euro-centric view of football, but looking at the groups individually (especially D, G & H) it's pretty hard not to see the European teams going thru. South Korea might just conceivably shock Switzerland (although one would hope they won't quite as much, shall we say, rub of the green this World Cup ;) ), but I'd back Portugal to beat Angola & Iran 9 times out of 10. Ditto Spain & The Ukraine beating Tunisia & Saudi Arabia.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Cloete said:
You've gotta feel for Brazil don't you? Poor guys being placed against the might of Australia!

I do think we have one the most difficult groups, but C and E are the worst! Let's hope the US get smashed, along with Josip Simunic! :@
:@ :@ :@

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
I'm pretty chuffed with our draw myself. Could've done without Sweden, but by the time we come to play them it should be a nice carve up between us with two wins each.

Group C for me is the obvious "Group of Death" candidate.
C is an absolute shocker of a group. S&M (:naughty:) are a good side, and Holland vs Argentina? Ouch.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
steds said:
Wigan's left back, Leighton Baines. Looks like Frodo Baggins. About the same height as him too, but he's brilliant and has a huge future ahead of him.
Has he got a brother who plays for Wigan as well or did I imagine that?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Gary Neville - only IMO ahead of Young because he is experienced.
why just only because he is experienced, no doubting Young is a very good prospect but Gary willa add more to the team for me.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surprised there hasn't been a comment yet, but some nice sitters missed by CDMs' chief poseur.

Wenger's whining is also priceless, am I right in thinking the CDMs won 1-0 against Newcastle on the first day of the season after Newcastle had Jenas wrongly sent off?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Surprised there hasn't been a comment yet, but some nice sitters missed by CDMs' chief poseur.

Wenger's whining is also priceless, am I right in thinking the CDMs won 1-0 against Newcastle on the first day of the season after Newcastle had Jenas wrongly sent off?
I must have missed this when you started it - what does CDMs actually stand for?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I must have missed this when you started it - what does CDMs actually stand for?
Cheating/Crybaby Diving Mercenaries. Our Scaly is on a vendetta.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sunderland are the worst defensive unit known to man. This has been one of the most amusing MotD viewings in some time.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
steds said:
Cheating/Crybaby Diving Mercenaries. Our Scaly is on a vendetta.
Right. No wonder he thinks Henry's rubbish.

I said after game one this season that Sunderland had exactly no chance of staying up, and it is even more true now.

Scaly piscine

Barney Rubble said:
Right. No wonder he thinks Henry's rubbish.

I said after game one this season that Sunderland had exactly no chance of staying up, and it is even more true now.
If you want a rubbish team basher in a fairly meaningless game CDMs' chief poseur is the man, if you want a big game, big opposition player you might want someone who doesn't magically disappear into anonymity.

I thought that first attack against Sunderland was amusing, one defender standing about 10 yards behind the rest of the 'defensive' line. I thought the 2 Inzi wannabes fighting on ITV was funnier tho, especially when the shorter unfit bloke felled himself punching fresh air at the end.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
why just only because he is experienced, no doubting Young is a very good prospect but Gary willa add more to the team for me.
Young for me has done a very good job and certainly added more in an attacking sense, which can be important if Beckham is going to drift inside.

Of course the team shirt means you will always back Neville though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
If you want a rubbish team basher in a fairly meaningless game CDMs' chief poseur is the man, if you want a big game, big opposition player you might want someone who doesn't magically disappear into anonymity.
Which ignores the many examples given to you.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
. I thought the 2 Inzi wannabes fighting on ITV was funnier tho, especially when the shorter unfit bloke felled himself punching fresh air at the end.
Generally I think it's best in life to adhere to a rule of "don't say behind someone's back what you wouldn't say to their face", and I very much doubt you'd have the stones to do that. Although you're welcome to take me up on that challenge. :p

Scaly piscine

Barney Rubble said:
Generally I think it's best in life to adhere to a rule of "don't say behind someone's back what you wouldn't say to their face", and I very much doubt you'd have the stones to do that. Although you're welcome to take me up on that challenge. :p
As long as I'm about 30 feet away when I say it I'll be fine.