• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2014

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He has a poor record in Division 1, only does well in Division 2. Too many people taking his Division 2 record into account and ignoring the fact he failed in Division 1.

King Pietersen

International Captain
BTW, Daryl Mitchell's form for Worcs has been pretty great this year. Wonder how far he is from being considered.
It really has. 3 tons in 6 innings, best of 172* with centuries in both innings of their current game. This year's been his first real good year though, which for a 30 year old probably means he's extremely unlikely to be selected for England, especially when these runs have come in Div 2.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Suggesting Middlesex don't have much batting past their openers isn't suggesting that other teams have more than two quality bats :p

They just have this alarming tendency this season to collapse in a heap once Robson/Rogers get out. Even in the chase of 470, Rogers and Robson made over 300 of those runs.

I reckon Rossington is quite a decent prospect tbh. My criticism is more a case of "why are these guys seen as County Championship favourites when they'll probably lose one of their two performing batsmen to England duty, and the rest of their bats don't seem to step up very often."

Warwickshire bat deep but bat mediocre; so, so reliant upon the all-rounders (Woakes, Barker and, seemingly, Jeets + the rest of the tail) to get them to competitive totals; Javid is a decent prospect and Evans might be proving himself to be decent quality, but there really isn't much there either. On name alone, there's no way Middlesex should be going down by an innings to them; the batsmen, Rogers/Robson aside, have underperformed.

I don't understand the point you're making though - you're saying that Denly and Dexter are "very average" along with the rest of the side - which is basically the exact same thing I'm saying!
The argument is that they're average but the certainly qualify as 'batting' as when you look around the County scene they probably make it into the top half in terms of batting strength. It's not like Lancashire a few years ago where it was Katich or bust. They've got two very good domestic batsmen and a host of average ones which is enough to make their batting above average.

'Literally nothing' is just wrong.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
All you need to do is look at Durham's title-winning batting line-up to see what is required to win the Championship if you have a strong enough bowling attack (and providing the competition isn't too strong).

stumpski

International Captain
Always thought Mitchell was a Saffer for some reason, surprised to see he was born in Worcs. Might have had him mixed up with Moore.

Kent have knocked off their target in quick time. If Surrey's top order had shown the same application as the tail it would have been a lot closer.

Jarquis

Jake Libby really ought to get a gig somewhere this year. The boy's a bit of a freak.

Was scoring runs by the absolute 100s at the start of last season before dislocating his shoulder which ruled him just as sides were starting to sit up and take note. He's been opening the batting in the Cornwall Premier League and for Cornwall for years now and just scores runs for fun. Especially in the last 18 months or so. His side played a preseason friendly against my side last year and we has 20odd not out at drinks and then ended up on 140*. It's what he does, they just play around him.

Went to the UAE this March with Combined MCCU and got a ton, a 50 and a 40 against MCCU young cricketers, Lancs and Sussex. 60 odd against something not far from Gloucs' first choice attack last month. Glamorgan should snap him up but they're going Welsh-only or something st00pid at the moment.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All you need to do is look at Durham's title-winning batting line-up to see what is required to win the Championship if you have a strong enough bowling attack (and providing the competition isn't too strong).
The alternative of that was the Warwickshire side that won it once, they scored 400+ nearly every game and just ground sides into the dirt with a poor attack making the most of scoreboard pressure.

grecian

Great bowling Ryan, c'mon Moores you recalled him once before, after years, you can do it again:D

If the weather holds this could get interesting yet.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Think Siddy retired from internationals before the Pakistan series over here in 2010 or maybe just after that.

grecian

Think Siddy retired from internationals before the Pakistan series over here in 2010 or maybe just after that.
Yes, not entirely serious, having said that I reckon he'd be a decent shout for T20, if Moores could talk him round. Still one of the best performers in domestic cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, not entirely serious, having said that I reckon he'd be a decent shout for T20, if Moores could talk him round. Still one of the best performers in domestic cricket.
Yeah indeed. I believe he was still in the T20I side when he retired.

grecian

Wow, cool now we get to see Colly not play a shot for 4 hours hopefully.

Pfft prove me wrong first shot, Ginger git.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Really don't think the selectors are stupid enough to play Moeen at 8 either. Seems like a completely idiotic idea to me. If Moeen plays, he bats in the Top 6, surely? If we're going to pick a bowler to fill one of the bottom 4 slots, then Kerrigan is a much better option. I think we'll go with Moeen at 6 in the first Test, with a 4 man seam attack, likely Broad, Jordan, Anderson and Finn.

Jarquis

Meh TBF, if your talking about the Siddy comment, I've been banging on for ages about him playing t20.

Not quite sure how Samit bowls more and is better at it than Moeen either.
Huh? I just read it, agreed with most of it and thought it raised some good points in argument contrary to the popular stance on this forum.
i.e. I don't think Fatel is a better bowler than Ali but I do feel the difference between them is probably smaller than it is between Ali and Kerrigan; at domestic level anyway.

Getting bored of the Ali discussion tbh, yeah he has a great beard and looks quality when he gets going but he's no world beater. His bowling is better than the people who haven't seen him since 2011 would have you believe but it's not as good as others maintain either.