• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England\UK off-season 2008/09 \ build-up to 2009 season thread

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure of McLaren's position. And my understanding is that Yasir's contract at Kent is about to expire, and the rumour is that he would like to return to Sussex.
Yasir is off to play IPL next year I believe, so he may not fancy it.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Well the rumours on the Sussex messageboard are

1. Joyce (apparently it's a done deal but will be confirmed after some 20:20 knockabout in December)

2. Compton

3. Sayers

Also one or two others that I'm not allowed to tell anyone about and which are longshots in any event.

As for an overseas player, my hope is that Yasir Arafat is re-signed from Kent, and that's where my money is too (excellently though Mo Sami played in the last few weeks of the season).
Wow his cack, seriously.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Lancs have signed VVS Laxman for next season, he'll come over after the IPL and play for the rest of the season. Good move, we need a batsman after getting rid of Law. It also means you wont see Lancashire signing any ICL players as i think its one of the conditions of the BCCI letting him come over

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Good to see Northants taking on Jack Brooks - both from the fact that he's not another bloody Kolpak and that it's another youth product for Oxfordshire.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lancs have signed VVS Laxman for next season, he'll come over after the IPL and play for the rest of the season. Good move, we need a batsman after getting rid of Law. It also means you wont see Lancashire signing any ICL players as i think its one of the conditions of the BCCI letting him come over
It is ind33d.

You wonder whether they got rid of Law in order to get Laxman now, really.

Still, disappointed they won't be having Mendis, was quite looking forwards to that.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would have loved to have seen Lanky sign Mendis but with Law gone, and judging by the fragility of our batting last season with him, I fear that even the mercurial one would never have had enough runs to bowl at

and VVS is wonderfully easy on the eye - will be a pleasure to watch him at work next season

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
A fine county stint for VVS would also help silence the doubters who say he should retire from international cricket so early.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
and VVS is wonderfully easy on the eye - will be a pleasure to watch him at work next season
Let's just hope he isn't a letdown, as that'd be a crying shame. And with only 2(?) months in which to purvey his skills, he won't have long for acclimatisation.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
According to cricinfo we've got him from a week after his IPL committments end so 5 June at the latest - I don't know who he plays for in that, nor do I care, but whoever it is I hope they get knocked out at the first available opportunity.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ah, June the 5th? Much earlier than I'd thought. Thought the IPL went on until the end of June.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's just hope he isn't a letdown, as that'd be a crying shame. And with only 2(?) months in which to purvey his skills, he won't have long for acclimatisation.
VVS does not acclimatise to the conditions, the conditions acclimatise to VVS.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes good move for Lancashire, I know they were after an overseas that was going to be present for pretty much the whole campaign, although they have not ruled out the prospect of signing someone else while he is India in the IPL. A classy player and as said above, such a performer like him was crucial after letting Law go.

brockley

International Captain
Well i thought stu law was released so lancashire could play the world T20 club championship,phew i was wrong its because lancashire wanted to sign laxman:sleep:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We went out in the quarters itbt so were nowhere near qualifying, unless you are talking about next year

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I guess this is probably the best place to put Arthur's SA deal extended. Thus putting paid to any thoughts of him going to coach whichever country it was rumour-mongered that he was going to.

What's also very interesting in that report is that Michael Procter is going to be SA COS, meaning he presumably is no longer a Match-Referee. That is very, very good as Procter's Refereeing principles were eminently questionable.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Saqlain gets the arse from Surrey

From the BBC.

Interesting Surrey are being quite so upfront about it being another ICL-inspired decision. As he's a British citizen might this not leave his former employers on something of a sticky wicket when it comes to potential wrongful dismissal litigation?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
From the BBC.

Interesting Surrey are being quite so upfront about it being another ICL-inspired decision. As he's a British citizen might this not leave his former employers on something of a sticky wicket when it comes to potential wrongful dismissal litigation?
hmm it is an interesting one.

As long as his contract was up I dont think it would be a problem. If it was a case of not renewing the contract, rather than terminating the contract, then it may be ok.

He is not prevented from working elsewhere and Surrey are under no obligation to offer him a new contract.

As long as there isnt a blanket policy across all 18 counties then individual choices by each club at the end of a contract would appear to me (with limited knowledge) to be fine.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah I can't see that anyone could be penalised for not offering a player a new contract, just doesn't seem right. zaremba for the expert analysis.

EDIT: reading that report, seems Surrey have also offered Tudor a one-year deal, which he's accepted. I guess he earnt that with his outstanding performances during his loan spell last summer. :dry:

Oh well, at least he's always been a player with great potential, and if he's playing I'd prefer it to be for Surrey than anyone else. But come on - hands-up who seriously expects him to start delivering at the age of 31 after 14 years of unfulfilled promise?

And Harbhajan = Saqlain Mark Two. Only other spinner to successfully deliver the Doosra and maintain control of flight. It's a shame to see Saqlain leave The Oval, but he's just not the force he once was, is surely older than 31 in reality, and Harbhajan would be THE perfect replacement. Just hope he can play a relatively full term.

Last edited: